Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Introduce Yourself Here > Mother's Day thoughts and memories...

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Mother's Day is coming soon. My mom is with the Lord now, but in so many ways she is still with me. I was making potato bread earlier today, and as I was dividing the dough to put into the bread pans to raise for the second time I thought of my mom. She would divide the dough, pat a portion flat, roll it up into a loaf tucking the ends in, and then hold it on her palm and give it a couple of hard, sharp slaps to break any air bubbles. It always made me laugh as a small child to see her "spank" the dough. Now, when I "spank" my bread dough, I always think of her.

How about you? What brings your mom to your heart on this Mother's Day? Will you be doing something special as a surprise treat for her on Mother's Day? Or honoring her memory in a special way? I'll be using a large round doily my mom crocheted on our dinner table. She did beautiful handwork...

message 2: by Melody (last edited May 07, 2015 07:34PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I have a very hard time with Mother's day. This will be my 3rd one with out my Momma. The last two I didn't handle well at all, as Mothers day was a very special day for her and I. I always would make it as special as possible, as she truly was the greatest mother ever, and I miss her so dearly that the day is just hard right now. Maybe someday I can think of her memory on Mother's day without being so upset. This year is my dad's birthday, so I am going to have to somehow hold it together!

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments I guess I am with Melody on this in some ways. Its also my 3rd one. The first I was in the states in Washington DC. Last year was ok. Mum was never really big on Mothers day but I would normally give her flowers. I find it hard at Church as they tend to make a big issue of mothers day and sometimes I find that harder. They tend to over focus on people who may have not been mothers or had a loss which tends to make it harder.

I will probably have a quiet day. I hope to make it to church and wear a flower but with the head pain being higher at present it will depend.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Jenny, it's the same at our church. We have a special breakfast there on Mother's Day. I can only imagine how difficult it is for those who have lost their mothers or have struggled to have a child of their own.
I'm fortunate in that my mom is still with us. We typically go out to a restaurant and spend time together that day, along with my older sister and all our family members. After nearly 8 years away, I'm happy to be able to spend these holidays with family again.
Dorothy, I can just see your mom spanking the dough. :)
Melody, I pray you are able to have peace this Mother's Day.

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn @melody- I know how you feel. I lost my mom 8 years ago and it's still very hard for me on special days. I lost my dad 6 years ago and have no siblings. Enjoy the day with your dad and I hope by telling you that your mom is watching over you helps a little. I will be thinking of you on Mother's Day:)

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn @Dorothy and Jenny- my thoughts are with you wonderful ladies as well and I know that your moms are watching over you as well.

It's great to have special memories of things you did with your mom. I have 2 kids and my mom never met my son, she died when I was pregnant with him. She loved my daughter and called her a little princess and every Mothers Day my kids and I just wish her a Happy Mother's Day and tell her we love her and miss her. I light a candle for her too.

My mom and I would just spend day together doing whatever we wanted.

I would like to send each of a Mothers Day wish on Sunday if that's ok.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn @Karen- that sounds so nice, enjoy this Mothers Day with your sister and family. :)

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Jenn wrote: "@Karen- that sounds so nice, enjoy this Mothers Day with your sister and family. :)"

Thanks, Jenn. :) I hope you have a great day with your kids. My dad passed three years ago, and I understand how it feels to wish a parent could see how your kids have grown, the accomplishments they've achieved, the funny things they do and say.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Such lovely memories, Dorothy. Your story of breadmaking reminds me of my mom, though I'm blessed that she is still with us. I plan to take her to a favorite restaurant since this is something she loves. We also visit garden nurseries to look at the flowers and plants. She loves her gardens.

Big hugs for those of you who miss your moms. That is so tough. I know that day is coming, so I'm trying to soak in each moment now. One thing I've begun doing is asking about her childhood. I want to capture those memories while I can.

message 10: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Melody wrote: "I have a very hard time with Mothers day. This will be my 3rd one with out my Momma. The last two I didn't handle well at all, as Mothers day was a very special day for her and I. I always would ma..."

I'm sorry for your loss, Melody. How wonderful that you were so close to your mom. You must have many, many beautiful memories to comfort you. How wonderful that your father is still with you. My father is with the Lord, and my mom. That thought gives me great comfort.

message 11: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I guess I am with Melody on this in some ways. Its also my 3rd one. The first I was in the states in Washington DC. Last year was ok. Mum was never really big on Mothers day but I would normally gi..."

Jenny, I know what you mean about it being hard in church when they focus on the mother's. I concentrate on some funny memory of my mom. She had a wicked sense of humor! And tough... She was a small woman, only a few inches over five feet tall but she fought her way though a lot of major health problems. She was ninety when she went home to the Lord.

I'll pray for your head pain.

message 12: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Karen wrote: "Jenny, it's the same at our church. We have a special breakfast there on Mother's Day. I can only imagine how difficult it is for those who have lost their mothers or have struggled to have a child..."

Karen, we are having a Mother's Day breakfast at our church, also. The men are doing the cooking and serving and cleanup. It should be a good meal as the young man doing the cooking is a professional chef.

Enjoy your dinner with your mom and family! Give your mom a hug for me.

message 13: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Jenn wrote: "@Dorothy and Jenny- my thoughts are with you wonderful ladies as well and I know that your moms are watching over you as well.

It's great to have special memories of things you did with your mom. ..."

Jenn...What a sweet gesture. Thank you. As I said in another post, my father is with the Lord also, so I know how you feel. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day with your children!

message 14: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Christine wrote: "Such lovely memories, Dorothy. Your story of breadmaking reminds me of my mom, though I'm blessed that she is still with us. I plan to take her to a favorite restaurant since this is something she ..."

Oh, Christine, that is so wise of you. I have tapes I recorded of my great-aunt telling about her childhood in Germany and her life after they came to America. She was seven at the time and some of the things she remembered were hilarious...like her arguing with her teacher when she drew a picture on the chalkboard and told her it was a chair. "Nein," my aunt said, "'tis a stool." She laughed and told me, "I knew what I knew!" But that's the way she learned English. I think she became a little more pliable. LOL My point is...take notes. And write names on the back of old pictures! We have pictures of people in my mom's family and no one knows who they are! Have a great day with your mom!

message 15: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments My MOM has been gone many years but time doesn't matter, I still can close my eyes and see her sitting at the table fixing things for us. She worked so much with few luxuries..canning foods from the garden,washing clothes and hanging on lines outside,ironing so many of them. She cooked breads-cakes and pies. She was the mother of 9 and we turned out pretty good if I must say so and she did not go to all the school functions but she sent us...did not go to church with us but she sent us..we were poor but did not know it. When our Moms leave us it is then we truly know how much they do and how much we love them...

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments I love the memories that everyone is sharing!

At my church, one of the classes honors all of the Moms by giving them carnations. I always love getting those carnations!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Mothers Day weekend!

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Dorothy wrote: "Karen wrote: "Jenny, it's the same at our church. We have a special breakfast there on Mother's Day. I can only imagine how difficult it is for those who have lost their mothers or have struggled t..."

That sounds lovely, Dorothy. We used to have Mother's Day teas where volunteers decorated the tables with their china. I'd like to revisit that tradition. :)

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Melissa wrote: "I love the memories that everyone is sharing!

At my church, one of the classes honors all of the Moms by giving them carnations. I always love getting those carnations!

I hope everyone has a won..."

What a sweet gesture, Melissa! I hope you enjoy yours, as well.

message 19: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments We have had people at our church who never married and felt bad about not being mothers so started making a big deal about other women being mother hearts. I never felt bad on mothers day as I was single and not a mother. after this I started to wonder if there was something wrong with me. I always saw it as a day to honour mum. I do feel for the ladies who cant have children as I know how hard it is when the focus is on mothers.
Its when they sing some of the mother favourites and there are a few who also love mum's favourite hymn that I get teary.

message 20: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Ausjenny wrote: "We have had people at our church who never married and felt bad about not being mothers so started making a big deal about other women being mother hearts. I never felt bad on mothers day as I was ..."

Oh, Jenny, I can understand that. Music carries so many memories and pulls hard on our emotions. My mom had a beautiful voice and she often sang while she was doing housework--in a dress and heels. Oh, and a ruffled apron she'd sewn, of course. She played the piano and accordion, too. I can still see her sitting down at the piano, propping up a new piece of sheet music and starting to play. I loved the old songs she'd play...I still do.

message 21: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Thank you so much, I appreciate all the kind thoughts! This week has been tough for me. Every random thing makes me teary. Songs especially! My mom loved to sing. She always sang as she was in the shower, was curling her hair and doing her makeup, while she was working around the house... Especially Sunday mornings. She always would sing church hymns to bring in the "spirit of the Sabbath" she would say. So some hymns over others will totally get to me! Songs can invoke emotion like no other!
I am blessed to have my dad, we just have a very rocky relationship. I am trying hard to repair it! My siblings are my greatest blessing. I told my bro the other day the best gift Mom ever gave me was siblings. (And being seven of nine, I consider it just a blessing that she even had me!) For even though she's gone, I have them! I have amazing brothers too. We have only gotten closer as we all reminisce about Mom.

message 22: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments I envy you, Melody. I'm the youngest of four girls, and I dearly love my sisters, but I always wanted a brother!

Best wishes on repairing your rocky relationship with your dad. I'm sure you'll find it worth the effort.

So, with so many siblings, and your mom setting the example, is there a lot of singing going on when you all get together? We all, Dad included, sang and harmonized in the car when we went on trips--usually to Grandma's house. My sisters and I still do when we go somewhere together, only now it's my husband adding the male voice--and usually creative lyrics. :) Mom would have gotten a kick out of him melding lyrics from different songs into one.

message 23: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments I'm curious about something. My mom always set a beautiful table with appropriate decorations for holidays or special meals. I carry on that tradition. I could not NOT do that? It just wouldn't feel right to me. Does your mom, or did she if she's passed on, set a special table for holidays? Do you carry on the tradition? Did you inherit the decorating gene? LOL Or perhaps the decorations?

message 24: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
My mother, stepmother and mother in law have passed away too.

I miss them but I treasure their memories though some are painful. My mother had severe dementia the last 5 years of her life. Very hard years.

Anyway my granddaughter's birthday is this Sunday so that's a happier thought!

God bless you all on Sunday.

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Lyn wrote: "My granddaughter's birthday is this Sunday..."

Happy birthday to your granddaughter, Lyn! That is a happy thought indeed.

message 26: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments My Mom and mother in law were just plain folks so no special fancy decorated tables just lot of plain good foods.
BUT...I did pick up the love of flowers from both of them and now have many shrubs and flower gardens around my home.

message 27: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Lyn wrote: "My mother, stepmother and mother in law have passed away too.

I miss them but I treasure their memories though some are painful. My mother had severe dementia the last 5 years of her life. Very ha..."

We went through the severe dementia with my husband's mother, Lyn. It was so painful, but we concentrate on remembering the good years--lot's of good memories there.

Happy birthday to your granddaughter! Do you see traces of your mom in her? That's always fun.

I became a great-grandmother for the first time on April 7th. We drove down to South Carolina to see the baby. She's adorable! But then, I've never seen a baby that wasn't.

message 28: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Paula-O wrote: "My Mom and mother in law were just plain folks so no special fancy decorated tables just lot of plain good foods.
BUT...I did pick up the love of flowers from both of them and now have many shrubs ..."

My mom was just plain folks, too, Paula. In fact, after my mom and dad split up, things were very hard financially. She worked as a head cook in a restaurant. But, though there wasn't money to spend for "extras", she always decorated the table. She was very creative about it, and snips from shrubs and flowers played a big part. So did her house plants. She loved African Violets and had a real "green thumb." Alas, I did not inherit that gift.

message 29: by Keli (last edited May 10, 2015 08:10PM) (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments My mom's birthday is May 7, so she gets lots of loving this time of year. Even though the days are close, I call her on both of them. We generally laugh about the lack of news when I call on Mother's Day since we shared it all a few days before, but I know she appreciates hearing from me anyhow.

message 30: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I always thought growing up that I wanted a little sister, but now I am glad I am the baby girl. hehe I love my older sisters too, but we have way different kind of relationship than the one I have with my brothers. My baby brother especially. He and I are the closest. Maybe because we are the only single ones. Haha
And yeah we sing all the time! We even invented a game with songs before she passed away. One person would start singing a song-any song- and you sing it until someone else hears a word that is in another song.
For example: All my exes live in Texas...
Someone pipes in with another country song, God blessed Texas with his own hand... Someone else pipes in: Daddy's hands... and so on and so forth. But you have to keep singing the song until someone jumps in with another. Oh it is so fun! :)
My older bro always makes up lyrics to songs too. He is so creative! He once left me a birthday message with a random made up song. I saved that voicemail until I changed services! Too much fun! I am not nearly so creative, but I sing all the time. Melody IS my name after all. :)

message 31: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Happy Mothers day to all the mothers in our group...it is a sunny beautiful day in Ga....

message 32: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Happy Mother's Day to everyone! I happen to be with my mother and all my siblings today! A special treat! The first time in probably 20 years! My nephew got married yesterday so we were all together for that and it just happens to be the weekend of Mother's Day. Very special for all of us!

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Dorothy wrote: "I'm curious about something. My mom always set a beautiful table with appropriate decorations for holidays or special meals. I carry on that tradition. I could not NOT do that? It just wouldn't fee..."

My mom does this with every holiday, and her mom did, as well. She has a great sense of color and style. And while I would like to do this at my house, I haven't put forth the effort yet. Maybe when my kids are older and I have a bit more free time. :)

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Lyn wrote: "My mother, stepmother and mother in law have passed away too.

I miss them but I treasure their memories though some are painful. My mother had severe dementia the last 5 years of her life. Very ha..."

Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating her birthday, Lyn!

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Valri wrote: "Happy Mother's Day to everyone! I happen to be with my mother and all my siblings today! A special treat! The first time in probably 20 years! My nephew got married yesterday so we were all tog..."

Wow, that's so nice, Valri. Enjoy your special day together!

message 36: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Karen wrote: "Valri wrote: "Happy Mother's Day to everyone! I happen to be with my mother and all my siblings today! A special treat! The first time in probably 20 years! My nephew got married yesterday so w..."

I too am so pleased that Valri has this special time with "ALL" the family, we are a large family and doubt we will ever all be together again. but I cherish when I am with some of them.

message 37: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Thanks, Paula and Karen! It doesn't happen very often in our family as we are spread out but we are a very close family and try to make the "big events" - this was one of those "big events" and we are so glad it happened to be on Mother's Day weekend!

message 38: by MaryE (last edited May 10, 2015 09:25PM) (new)

MaryE Stifflemire | 499 comments Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers out there! I was able to spend the evening with my youngest son and his family. The girls are 8 and 12. Mom and dad let them sit between them and the girls kept cutting up at the restaurant but it was in a good way. We had Chinese food, which is a favorite of my mine and my daughter-in-law. And my oldest son called and he wished me happy Mother's Day, so the day was good all around. I heard from both sons and that was pretty good.

message 39: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Keli wrote: "My mom's birthday is May 7, so she gets lots of loving this time of year. Even though the days are close, I call her on both of them. We generally laugh about the lack of news when I call on Mother..."

Oh how true, Keli! There's nothing like hearing your child's voice on the phone! I LOVE it when my far flung children and grandchildren call me.

message 40: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Melody wrote: "I always thought growing up that I wanted a little sister, but now I am glad I am the baby girl. hehe I love my older sisters too, but we have way different kind of relationship than the one I have..."

Great last line, Melody! We authors notice things like that. LOL

My husband and I (on trips) and my sisters, also, when they are with us, play a similar singing game I made up. In our game, someone picks a word and the next person has to sing a song with that word in it. Then that person stops that song on a different word and the next person sings a song with that word in it. We also play a singing game where we pick a word, and we go around with everyone singing a bit of the song with that word in the title...you keep going until no one can come up with another title. It's fun. Especially with my husband playing. His creativity puts us in hysterics!

message 41: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Valri wrote: "Happy Mother's Day to everyone! I happen to be with my mother and all my siblings today! A special treat! The first time in probably 20 years! My nephew got married yesterday so we were all tog..."

How wonderful, Valri! What a lot of fun for you all. Congratulations to the new groom and his bride! May the Lord bless their marriage.

message 42: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments MaryE wrote: "Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers out there! I was able to spend the evening with my youngest son and his family. The girls are 8 and 12. Mom and dad let them sit between them and the girls kep..."

What a lovely day, Mary. I have two sons, also...one daughter. The two who live far away called to talk with me. The one who lives in Washington told his father to take me out for dinner on him. Our oldest son lives nearby and he came to deliver his gift and best wishes in person. I'm blessed with wonderful, loving children.

message 43: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Yeah they sound very similar! Seriously such a good time! There isn't anything I love more than just having a good time with my family! And the funnest of times doesn't even cost a thing! That's the best part of it all! :)

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Melody wrote: "Yeah they sound very similar! Seriously such a good time! There isn't anything I love more than just having a good time with my family! And the funnest of times doesn't even cost a thing! That's th..."

That is so true, Melody! I have laughed and laughed at family gatherings (like the time the picnic table tipped over halfway through the meal or when my grandpa forgot to remove the little piece of paper from sliced cheese and commented that his sandwich was a little chewy. Fun memories.

message 45: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments The picnic table tipped over! That must have been hilarious! And the cheese/paper thing...that's priceless.

My mom once hid a chunk of ivory soap in my dad's dish of ice cream. And I still laugh every time I remember the morning when my mom grabbed the tube of my dad's shaving soap instead of the toothpaste. My sister and I heard these gagging, choking sounds and ran to the bathroom. Mom was bent over the sink gagging and laughing and choking while foam poured from her mouth. She tried to rinse it away, but, at first, the water only made it foam more. It finally stopped foaming and we all howled with laughter.

message 46: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Hahaha I love those stories Christine and Dorothy! :)

I am always howling over something when my brothers are around. And I can be a little shall we say... blonde sometimes! So they are always finding something to laugh over too!

message 47: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments I have a doctor's appointment out of town tomorrow, so I won't be online, but I have a question I want to ask you all. Do you have a favorite mother, or mother figure from a book? What draws you to her? I'm looking forward to reading your answers.

message 48: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 340 comments I've loved reading your memories of your mums. Christine & Dorothy those stories are so funny!

Sunday was a normal day for us as in UK we celebrate Mother's Day (or Mothering Sunday as it's officially called) 3 weeks before Easter.

Memories of Mum ~ well she's always been there for us. We always know where to find her, and know we'll get a listening ear. I'm very blessed to still have her in my life.

I agree, Melody, spending times with family is definitely the best, and doesn't cost a thing!

Mother figures in books...hmmm.

Well, off the top of my head I'll say Roses for Mama by Janette Oke

Their parents have been dead about 3 years and Angela and her brother Thomas have assumed at 17 & 19 mother and father roles for the younger siblings. Angela worries as Louise starts challenging her, and Thomas worries that Derek is too good. Angela struggles with having to be the mother figure instead of just big sister.

What I loved though was the memory book they made. To help with their grief, they would each share a memory of Mama & write it down to keep her and their memories of her alive so they wouldn't forget all the wonderful things she did with them as a family or as individuals. As they shared their memories, they discovered the lessons of life and faith their mama had been giving to them was far more than any of them realised, and that her legacy was still living on in all of them today.