Chicks On Lit discussion

Out of Africa, West with The Night, and Circling the Sun: Late summer into fall group reads.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments I just finished an ARC of Circling the Sun. I had previously read West with the Night and Out of Africa, and I thought it would be great to read all three of these in succession as part of a group read. Would there be any interest in doing this? I think the discussions would be incredible :)

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4032 comments might be interested, but I would have to fit it in between the other threads already going on here. I would also have to be able to find the books at the library. If the final is still in ARC form, I am not sure how easily I will be able to find it on loan.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments It releases at the end of July. Maybe something could be planned for the Autumn? I've had a lot of ARCs recently and that has messed up my reading schedule. However, this book made me want to read the other two a second time, which is why I thought a group read would be nice so that we could discuss.

message 4: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Wow, this looks interesting. And I own a copy of Out of Africa that I've never read. Amy, would you be willing to lead discussions on these? We have our group reads picked for the summer (May June July) but since this doesn't release till July maybe we could do these in the fall (August and on) if others are interested. I'd be game. Anyone else find these interesting?

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Yes - absolutely! I loved all three of these books and would enjoy the opportunity to re-read them with a group.

In the autumn I should be past all the deadlines hanging over my head right now, too

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I am game too. I haven't read the books but loved them movie Out of Africa.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Out of Africa is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen! I have the book (as well as a couple of author bio's), but I haven't read it. Autumn might be the perfect time to do it since things are turning very busy for the time being and I've got other reads already scheduled for my other group and in person bookclubs!

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 14 comments I might

message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 23 comments I would be!

message 10: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I might join in with Out of Africa.

message 11: by Nell (new)

Nell Shouldn't this topic be posted under Buddy Reads?

message 12: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

I bumped it up to the top, because if there is enough interest we can make these our group reads for the fall, as it would include a new release novel as well as two older classics about women.

Those interested do not need to be willing to read all three either, though for those interested they would make a great series of reads on a similar theme. I think Out of Africa might be very popular.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 14 comments actually I may be in school by then

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4844 comments I am in.

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri Sounds good! What is ARC?

message 16: by Nell (new)

Nell Terri wrote: "Sounds good! What is ARC?"

ARC is Advance Reader's Copy. Books distributed by publishers pre-publication to get early reviews and generate buzz. They are softcover editions the size of trade paperbacks. Some of the books offered in the GR Giveaway are ARCs.

message 17: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Ditto what Nell said. An ARC is just an advance copy that Amy received.

Circling the Sun, by Paula McClain,(the same author that wrote "The Paris Wife") officially is published on July 28th. So it would be a new release this fall.

The other two books are older autobiographies, written by the actual women who are novelized in this book.

So it would be discussing a historical novel, and then reading and comparing the real stories written by the real women.

message 18: by Terri (new)

Terri Thanks Nell and Sheila - looking forward to comparing the 3 and becoming more active in discussions. I've been a lurker for too long!

message 19: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1 comments I'm interested in reading/discussing Circling the Sun and, if I have time, the other two.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Looking forward to discussions on these :)

message 21: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Me too! It certainly seems we have enough interest to make these our fall selections. I have Out of Africa already, and have pre-ordered Circling the Sun, and will round up a copy of West of Night also.

Everyone has basically several months to find copies of the two older ones if you want to read those, and either order a copy of Circling the Sun or get on your library wait list for it to get to the front of the list. :-)

Thank you Amy for making the offer of leading these three books for discussion.

I'll leave this thread at the top of the page too so we don't forget. Hope many more chicks will chime in and consider joining us on one, two, or all three of these!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Just to let everyone know: most used bookstores have copies of Out of Africa and/ or West With The Night for considerably less than the cost of new books.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sounds like a great set of books to read and chat about! Looking forward to it!

message 24: by Petra (new)

Petra Sounds like a great trio of books. I'm interested in joining the group read.

message 25: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

I am really looking forward to these. These three should make for a very interesting discussion and comparisons between the books!

message 26: by Meg (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) | 129 comments I'm actually reading both Circling and (rereading) West right now -- Lucky me, I get to interview Paula at Kepler's Books! So I would love to participate.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Lucky you indeed, Meg!

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Meg wrote: "I'm actually reading both Circling and (rereading) West right now -- Lucky me, I get to interview Paula at Kepler's Books! So I would love to participate."

This is great! Maybe you can share some of her answers to your questions? If she talks about it, I'd love to know more about how she did her research for the book.

message 29: by Nancy (Colorado) (new)

Nancy (Colorado) Circling the Sun I would definitely want to be part of. The other two.... not so much. Will there be a poll or not??

message 30: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Hi Nancy. No poll, as we are going to read and discuss all three, but anyone interested in joining only has to join in on the ones they feel like reading. :-) So you are free to join in on Circling the Sun, but personally skip the other two.

message 31: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Do we know which book we're starting with and when?

message 32: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

I will leave the order up to Amy, since she is leading, but I think to make it interesting, and to give ladies time to get Circling the Sun, which will be a new release on July 28th, we should maybe to one of the older ones, then Circling, then the other older one?? What does everyone think?

Amy, do you have a preference? And maybe start mid August or early September with these?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sounds good, gives time for folks to get the new release. And the later the better since my Summer reading list is a leetle outta control right now lol ;-)

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments I agree - let's start with the older ones first. They both provide background. Since Out of Africa was published first, I think that may be a good place to begin.

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments I think September will be a good time to start.

message 37: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Sounds good!

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Irene wrote: "http://litchat.com/circling-the-sun/"

Nice review! Thank you for posting!

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Julie wrote: "Hi folks
New here . I might try to join in one some of the books if I can get my TBR arranged to fit them in at the time you all read them .
I'm a big fan of books from this time frame and have r..."

I hope you can join, also! Sounds like you have a great background in literature based on this time period that could add to our discussion!

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments I met Paula McLain this evening. West With a The a Night was what inspired her to write Circling The Sun. It was a great story. The book was given to her by her brother in law and she let it sit in her dining room for 18 months before she read it. Then she said she randomly opened the book and read a page and it was like electricity went through her and she knew she had to write about Beryl.

message 42: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Amy, how exciting to meet Paula McLain! My pre-ordered copy of Circling the Sun has arrived, and I have older used copies of the other two also, so I am all read for all three of these discussions! I think these are all going to be interesting women to read about!

Who else is joining in for any of these? Anyone having trouble getting copies? Since Circling the Sun has now been released, and we are doing the older books first, ladies using the library might want to get on the wait list for Circling now. :-)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Reserved Circling, have Out Of Africa.

message 44: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 23 comments Just reserved Circling! Can't wait. Do we know what our schedule is yet?

message 45: by Petra (new)

Petra I have Out of Africa and West With The Night from the library. I'm in the queue for Circling.

message 46: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Chelsea wrote: "Just reserved Circling! Can't wait. Do we know what our schedule is yet?"

I will let Amy come up with the exact reading schedules, since she is leading these, but the plan was to start with Out of Africa in September. :-)

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Great - I'm really looking forward to these discussions! I'll work on a schedule over the weekend.

Is anyone interested in co-leading any of these book discussions?

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 229 comments Wow! You were right about getting on the wait list at the library for Circling. I'm number 233. I've also put holds on the other two, look forward to this read.

message 49: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 93 comments Jennifer wrote: "Wow! You were right about getting on the wait list at the library for Circling. I'm number 233. I've also put holds on the other two, look forward to this read."

Wow, my library had 2 of its 8 copies of Circling... (including 3 large type) available. So my copy is on its way.
I already read West with the Night about 6 months ago so I won't be rereading it.

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Blueberry wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Wow! You were right about getting on the wait list at the library for Circling. I'm number 233. I've also put holds on the other two, look forward to this read."

Wow, my librar..."

That's great! I've been wanting to reread West With The Night. I first read it when it was re-released in the late 80s.

« previous 1