Goliverse discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Recommendation > June 2015 Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  (co984life) | 115 comments Mod
Hello everyone! Time to post your recommendations for June.

message 2: by Rodney (new)

Rodney | 208 comments Mod
Snow crash by Neal Stephenson

message 3: by SciFiNow (new)

SciFiNow | 89 comments Departure by A.G. Riddle

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt | 150 comments Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

message 5: by John (new)

John Stinebaugh Armada by Ernie Cline.

message 6: by SciFiNow (new)

SciFiNow | 89 comments Armada isn't out until july right?

message 7: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Beaty | 33 comments I'd like to nominate Tarkin by James Luceno. I know not everyone in the GOLiverse is a huge Star Wars fan, but the Darth Plagieus book he wrote was really intriguing.

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Cooper | 64 comments Would it be ok if we not do brand new books all of the time? I can't afford a new hard cover every time we do a book group.

message 9: by Rodney (new)

I have addressed this before. I enjoy reading the newest books but I understand others concerns. Lot of members rely on library or are on tighter budgets. Getting a hold of new books can be difficult. I don't think we need to say we won't do new books I just hope members can keep this in mind when voting.

message 10: by Ila (new)

Ila | 10 comments Wool by Hugh Howey

message 11: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Beaty | 33 comments I for one am fine with discussing older books that are readily available. I read a lot, but it's all stuff I can get from the library. I'm too cheap/poor to buy anything more than the occasional book.
I nominated Tarkin, but it's actually still on hold. And I missed out on the last two discussions because I couldn't get s copy in time.

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt | 150 comments Some more information on Out of the Silent Planet, for those who haven't heard of it, or for those who might think it's just a kid book like Narnia. I actually haven't read it yet, but I've had it on my to-read list for some time. J.R.R. Tolkien liked it. Here's a description from the back of the book: " The remarkable Dr. Ransom is abducted by a megalomaniacal physicist and his accomplice and taken via spaceship to the red planet of Malacandra. The two men are in need of a human sacrifice, and Dr. Ransom would seem to fit the bill. Once on the planet, however, Ransom eludes his captors, risking his life and his chances of returning to Earth, becoming a stranger in a land that is enchanting in its difference from Earth and instructive in its similarity. First published in 1943, Out of the Silent Planet remains a mysterious and suspenseful tour de force."

Also, it should be readily available at libraries.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

My recommendation is Ready Player One.

message 14: by Rodney (new)

So I guess I should provide synopsis for Snow Crash. So here it is. Copy pasted. From the opening line of his breakthrough cyberpunk novel Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson plunges the reader into a not-too-distant future. It is a world where the Mafia controls pizza delivery, the United States exists as a patchwork of corporate-franchise city-states, and the Internet--incarnate as the Metaverse--looks something like last year's hype would lead you to believe it should. Enter Hiro Protagonist--hacker, samurai swordsman, and pizza-delivery driver. When his best friend fries his brain on a new designer drug called Snow Crash and his beautiful, brainy ex-girlfriend asks for his help, what's a guy with a name like that to do? He rushes to the rescue. A breakneck-paced 21st-century novel, Snow Crash interweaves everything from Sumerian myth to visions of a postmodern civilization on the brink of collapse. Faster than the speed of television and a whole lot more fun, Snow Crash is the portrayal of a future that is bizarre enough to be plausible.

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Cooper | 64 comments You guys are gonna make this hard for me aren't you

message 16: by SciFiNow (new)

SciFiNow | 89 comments So are we supposed to give a synopsis of the book we are nominating?

message 17: by Nicole (new)

I guess if you really want your book to win a synopsis can be a good thing.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.