UAPL Adult Services discussion

Great Gardening Books!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby | 84 comments This year, along with expanding my very small flower garden, I am attempting my first ever veggie garden. Here we've compiled a list of gardening books for the different types of gardens you might be interested in creating. Let us know what great gardening books you've read in the comments!

All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew All New Square Foot Gardening

The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Vegetable Cookbook 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden by Josh Kilmer-Purcell The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Vegetable Cookbook

50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants by Tracy DiSabato-Aust 50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants

The Gardening Book for Ohio by Denny McKeown The Gardening Book for Ohio

Hellstrip Gardening Create a Paradise between the Sidewalk and the Curb by Evelyn J. Hadden Hell Strip Gardening

The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden Grow Tons of Organic Vegetables in Tiny Spaces and Containers by Karen Newcomb The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden

message 2: by Hari (new)

Hari A great resource I use as a reference is Michael Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants : their identification, ornamental characteristics, culture, propagation and uses. Dirr, a horticulturist and expert on woody plants, uses line drawings rather than color photos throughout. Even though it's not flashy, it's an invaluable resource.
Manual of Woody Landscape Plants Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation, and Uses by Michael Dirr

message 3: by Vita (last edited Jun 09, 2015 08:21AM) (new)

Vita | 40 comments Mod
Hellstrip Gardening Create a Paradise between the Sidewalk and the Curb by Evelyn J. Hadden Hell Strip Gardening offers solutions to an often over looked strip of gardening space. I have not transformed my hell strip space yet but I gleaned plant pairings and added to other garden spaces with great results.

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin O'Sullivan (caitlinosullivan) | 2 comments I'm no gardener, so I guess it makes sense that my favorite garden book is about BAD plants! Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart is a collection of short descriptions of plants that stink, poison, and destroy; you could call it an ANTI-gardening book.
Wicked Plants The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby | 84 comments Caitlin wrote: "I'm no gardener, so I guess it makes sense that my favorite garden book is about BAD plants! Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart is a collection of short descriptions of plants that stink, poison, and des..."

Caitlin I LOVED that book! So interesting and so much fun to read. The information is given in such a lively manner. I also really liked Wicked Bugs.

Wicked Bugs The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects by Amy Stewart

message 6: by Vita (new)

Vita | 40 comments Mod
Thanks Caitlin, I need to read "Wicked Plants" especially while wearing a skull T-shirt and spider earrings!

message 7: by Hari (new)

Hari There's a book I use to identify visitors to my garden: Butterflies of Ohio field guide by Jaret C. Daniels. It's wonderful to watch butterflies flitting from flower to flower sipping nectar (and caterpillars munching plant leaves). It's even more fun to try to identify which ones are visiting the garden!

Butterflies of Ohio Field Guide by Jaret C. Daniels

message 8: by Hari (new)

Hari Another great book I use when I'm in my garden is Caterpillars of Eastern North America: A Guide to Identification and Natural History by David Wagner. I've found many a caterpillar wandering around my garden and have used this guide to identifying them with great success. It's also fun to just look at the color photos and wonder at the remarkable diversity and ways nature predator-proofs them.

Caterpillars of Eastern North America A Guide to Identification and Natural History by David L. Wagner