Beyond Reality discussion

House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
This topic is about House of Chains
SERIES—List & Discussions > Malazan Book of the Fallen--5/24--House of Chains: Chapters 4-8

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3327 comments Mod
SPOILERS only through Chapter 4 of Book 1, Faces in the Rock and Chapters 5-8 of Book 2, Cold Iron.

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

OK, I, for one, was glad to get back to the Malazan military for a bit. Gesler, Stormy, Truth, Cuttle, "Strings", soldierly conversation and joking, mixed with dead seriousness.

I did NOT see Karsa as Toblakai, guarding Sha'ik Elder and now connected with Sha'il Younger/Felisin Elder. Just never occurred to me.

And here we have Lostara Yil and Pearl again. Not sure how I feel about that, but I think their journey will be most interesting. Her backstory brings in more threads to be tangled in the plot. Delat = Quick Ben? Did they or didn't they? Does it matter?

And Crokus is now Cutter. This makes me sad, although his scene with Cotillion is great!

What grabbed your attention?

message 3: by Maggie (last edited May 16, 2015 04:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maggie K | 298 comments I liked Pearl and Lostara too. and Crokus! I will say that his journey is one of the continual threads that goes on through this series. Seeing things through his young eyes certainly gives it all a certain impression!

Justine (justinescholefield) | 563 comments I see Crokus and Paran as having a lot of similarities in the way they have developed and changed (but that may just be me); I was also sad to see him changing this way, but not unexpected given the company he is keeping, by choice and out of loyalty of course, and I think probably the right one.

message 5: by Justine (last edited May 17, 2015 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Justine (justinescholefield) | 563 comments Are we supposed to know who those wickan knives belonged to or is that just us reading about Kalam's memory? And isn't Delat Quick Ben...so he seduced Lostara when she was an acolyte at the temple then everyone except her and the Mage that is now with Shaik was killed....I am assuming by him since I don't think he had yet hooked up with Kalam? This is the kind of thing that confuses me.

Justine (justinescholefield) | 563 comments Ugh...I think he bought the knives in chapter nine but the other stuff happened in chapter eight. It isn't any kind of a story reveal so I'll just leave the post here in this section. Sorry!

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justine wrote: "I see Crokus and Paran as having a lot of similarities in the way they have developed and changed (but that may just be me);"

I think they obviously have both matured and changed, but I don't see a lot of similarities in the way they've changed. Paran had to grow into his role in the Bridgeburners and, of course, as Master of the Deck, but I see both of those as "positive" growth. With Crokus, I just see him getting more skilled and harder, more closed off.

In Memories of Ice, I kept thinking that, while it may have been necessary for the plot, the lack of communication with Silver Fox and the Mhybe was so sad. I'm feeling the same with the lack of communication between Crokus/Cutter and Apsalar. Just talk to each other!

Justine wrote: " And isn't Delat Quick Ben...so he seduced Lostara when she was an acolyte at the temple then everyone except her and the Mage that is now with Shaik was killed....I am assuming by him since I don't think he had yet hooked up with Kalam? This is the kind of thing that confuses me."

Yes, Delat is Quick Ben. We learned QB's full name in an earlier book. I'm not sure he actually seduced her or not, which is why I asked "Did they or didn't they? Does it matter?" Either way, it could be interesting if they meet up in this book.

Justine (justinescholefield) | 563 comments Kathi wrote: "I think they obviously have both matured and changed, but I don't see a lot of similarities in the way they've changed. Paran had to grow into his role in the Bridgeburners and, of course, as Master of the Deck, but I see both of those as "positive" growth. With Crokus, I just see him getting more skilled and harder, more closed off. "

I agree...I guess I was thinking that they both went from having fairly small world views and thinking they could do most anything if they put their mind to it, to being hardened and jaded by their experiences. Paran has I think now moved past this to another level of growth, and I'm hoping to see the same with Crokus/Cutter...I want to see him move forward like Paran did and take control of his own destiny without feeling like he is losing himself. I think it took some time and effort for Paran to get there in Memories of Ice.

It was the comments about the hands that made me think seduction, but who knows...as you say, I'm not sure it matters except for how it might affect Lostara's feelings when she confronts him later - which I expect to happen at some point.

message 9: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justine wrote: "Paran has I think now moved past this to another level of growth, and I'm hoping to see the same with Crokus/Cutter...I want to see him move forward like Paran did and take control of his own destiny without feeling like he is losing himself. "

Good point, Justine. I see what you mean about the growth and I, too, would like to see Crokus/Cutter "own" his role & destiny and not just see himself as a adjunct to Apsalar and her skills.

It was the comments about the hands that made me think seduction, but who knows...

Oh, I agree. I just couldn't tell from the text whether they were merely attracted to each other or if a liaison actually took place.

Helen I'd forgotten QB was Delat, I'm going to have to read that again now!

I'm saddened that he's become Cutter, they need to talk.