Beyond Reality discussion

House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
This topic is about House of Chains
SERIES—List & Discussions > Malazan Book of the Fallen--5/17--House of Chains: Prologue and Chapters 1-3

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3150 comments Mod
SPOILERS only through the Prologue and Chapters 1-3 of Book 1 Faces in the Rock.

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erikson totally changes style with the beginning of this book. We have one POV throughout these chapters (other than part of the prologue). We meet Karsa, an arrogant, unworldly, warrior from a part of the continent of Genabackis that has been cut off from the rest of the world for centuries. He is not very likable, but by the end of these chapters, we are seeing some growth.

I was very put off by the use of the term "children" to describe the lowlanders who are attacked and killed. While I understand it, I found it unnecessarily cruel and upsetting. It seemed such a contrast to Deadhouse Gates, where "children are dying" aroused so much compassion and sorrow.

Torvald Nom is a great character. Just great!

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Yes, again I am wondering, who ARE these people? In a way, it would be nice to start one of these books without that. But, it is also like getting another piece of the puzzle and fitting it into place. Also, I assume by the time someone familiar does come back into the story, I will be heartily glad to see them. :)

I agree with your comments Kathi...I know one of Erickson's themes is the horrors of war and all, but found all of this a bit extra dark.

Maggie K | 298 comments Karsa's journey is indeed something truly metaphorical here...This is setting up to become an additional story arch of the series...

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments So, I am assuming that is the Silanda that Karsa and Torvald Nom stumble on?

message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justine wrote: "So, I am assuming that is the Silanda that Karsa and Torvald Nom stumble on?"

I'd say that's a good assumption.

Tani | 132 comments I'm making some good progress on this one. I'm finding it a lot smoother reading to just have one character to keep track of, even though I love the huge ensemble cast of the other books.

I also really like the way that you can kind of track some of the events in Deadhouse Gates throughout this book. Makes it very fun for me.

Karsa is not a nice guy, but he's slowly growing on me as his beliefs are challenged and as he grows as a character. I'm finding the book very readable, despite my mixed feelings on Karsa. And I agree, Torvald Nom is a joy for some relief from the darkness of it all. :)

Helen I've gone from 'evil sod off to kill children' to 'oh they aren't children. Get out of there, be safe, oh no, oh no, oh no'.

In two evenings, I've raced through the start, not had that huge what is going on moment. Also, my book muscles are growing!

David Hedges | 70 comments Started reading this now after a bit of a break. Really enjoying it. Like Tani said, it's nice to just have one PoV to keep track off. Looking forward to finding out how he fits in with the overall story!