Beyond Reality discussion

House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
This topic is about House of Chains
SERIES—List & Discussions > Malazan Book of the Fallen--HOUSE OF CHAINS: Finished Reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading House of Chains by Steven Erikson.

WARNING: SPOILERS LIKELY!

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 513 comments Mod
After finishing Memories of Ice I immediately turned to this book and read through to the end. If you're like me, though, you get email updates of the discussions, and I don't want to give anything away. I am in awe of the intricate plotting that Erikson must have done before even beginning the first book, and can only imagine how the series will move on from here. Please finish this book quickly so we can talk! ;-)

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris wrote: "Please finish this book quickly so we can talk! ;-)"

OK, Chris, I finished it and I have to confess to still being confused about a couple major plot points.

I'm going to feel very stupid, but here goes.

So, I know that Tavore killed Felisin, her sister, apparently unknowingly. But, what happened to the goddess when Felisin/Sha'ik died? We now know that she is the spirit of Onrack's wife, filled with hatred and bent on vengeance. But does her spirit just fade away at this point? Seems unlikely to me.

And, related, what happened to the sundered warren when Felisin/Sha'ik died? I understand that all the water that was in the Nascent flowed back into Raraku (at least, I suppose that's where it came from). But is the warren whole? healed? and does anyone "control" it the way the goddess and the Crippled God wanted to?

message 4: by Justine (last edited May 28, 2015 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments I thought her spirit just faded away...at least, that's the impression I got?

I thought the warren was healed, at least partially, but not that there is anyone necessarily controlling it. Is that what Loric's new familiar (Greyfrog) was supposed to be guarding? But I think he was still with Felisin Younger at the end.

I agree there were some confusing plot points in this book.

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justine wrote: "I thought the warren was healed, at least partially, but not that there is anyone necessarily controlling it. Is that..."

Greyfrog was meant to be guarding Kurald Thyrllan, the Liosan warren, I think. At least, that's what Loric's former familiar was guarding.

I thought the sundered warren was Kurald Emurlahn.

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments Oh...! OK. Sorry, I'm getting confused.

Tani | 132 comments Just finished! Whew, what a ride. I found Felisin's death by Tavore's hand to be so bittersweet. Poor Felisin, not understanding to the end that Tavore had been trying to protect her all along. And then Lostara Yil's and Pearl's omission, to spare Tavore the truth... I'd really like to see more of Tavore, she seems like such an interesting character. So much of the story focused around her, but we still know very little of her thoughts and feelings.

Other thoughts:

I loved the ending that he gave Gamet, poor guy.

I'm kind of glad that Cutter and Apsalar have split up. I didn't feel like they were doing each other any good this book. :/

I'm excited to see what will happen with the group of Heboric, Felisin Younger, Cutter, and Greyfrog. (So much love for Greyfrog, by the way. Happy recollections. ;) )

I think Karsa ended up my favorite character this book. He grew so much, while still retaining that unbending quality that he has. I hope we get to see him again!

I thought that the Goddess was killed by those Talon assassins?

I'm not sure what happened to the sundered warren, to be honest. I do remember that it was Kurald Emurlahn, though. I thought that the Crippled God was on the verge of claiming it, but then he suffered so many losses that I don't know that he ended up successful. Was it Kurald Emurlahn that was flooded with the Nascent? I can't remember... There are so many details that it's really hard to keep everything straight!

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tani wrote: "I'd really like to see more of Tavore, she seems like such an interesting character. So much of the story focused around her, but we still know very little of her thoughts and feelings."

Yes, for such a key character, we don't get her POV, her feelings or thoughts.

I loved the ending that he gave Gamet, poor guy.

I agree, very classy.

I'm kind of glad that Cutter and Apsalar have split up. I didn't feel like they were doing each other any good this book. :/

Their story seems off-kilter to me right now. We'll see what happens with them and their "patron".

Helen Well, I raced home from work to read my last 30 pages having failed to stay awake even longer last night. I've been exhausted all day.
- Quick Ben, yay! Loved the way he and Kalam dumped the body on Pearl, had some banter and left.
- Pearl and Lostara are hilarious together, hoping that continues.
-Fiddler and his brothers are together, yay again!
-Personally, I'm glad Felisin is gone, or should be.
-Quite liking the new squad of Fid's.
-Cutter and Apsalar were an unhealthy pairing, I totally agree on that. Still, I'm not sure Cutter (or should he revert to Crokus now?) is on the right path yet.
-Karsa is brilliant!

David Hedges | 70 comments Just finished this. Have to say that of the four books I've read so far I probably enjoyed this least. I think it was just that there wasn't enough about the characters I really like. Every time Kalam or Fiddler was around I wanted more of them.

The big exception was Karsa who was wonderful, as was his journey. I didn't see him as Toblakai at all - that was a lovely surprise. For me, this was Karsa's book. I also quite liked Trull Sengar and his putting the T'lan Imass in their place, and his relationship with Onrack. I also liked the reveal of who the Goddess really was.

Another rest before the next book now. I can't read these one after another! Besides, there's Robin Hobb's new book to read!

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments David, you are powering through these nonetheless. Way to go! I'm with you, this one was not my favourite, particularly after Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice, which I thought were much better. I agree too that the story of Karsa was the most compelling part of this particular book.

The next book up for you will be Midnight Tides, which I personally loved, but you won't see any of the characters you have become familiar with up to now, it's a whole new cast!

Helen No! This one was great. Karsa, Karsa....

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments You see the 3 star - 5 star rating difference here! :)

Helen Lol

message 15: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

David wrote: "The big exception was Karsa who was wonderful, as was his journey. I didn't see him as Toblakai at all - that was a lovely surprise."

I didn't see that either, although the clues were probably there, so I was also surprised.