Discuss @ Carroll County Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > History, Biography vs Fiction

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat (pat71234) | 12 comments I too have been deficient in my knowledge of history. I started reading the biographies of our presidents by Doris Kearns-Goodwin, and I like the books by Eric Larson and David McCullough. I find these author's work to be engaging and not dry at all. I have learned so much about our history that I never learned in school. I am currently reading Edmund Morris' trilogy on Theodore Roosevelt and I can't believe how much his life in politics is current today.

Dave, Thanks for posting, please post your book list.

Pat

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 4 comments I know this will sound a bit silly, but as an elementary school ELA and social studies teacher, I have learned to start in the children's section of the library when I am interested in learning about a particular historical figure or historical event. After getting the basics, I head to the adult biography or history section. My favorite time to read about is the American Revolutionary period.

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat (pat71234) | 12 comments That is a great idea. I usually go to the internet to see what I can find out about a topic. Currently I am reading Edmund Morris' last book on Theodore Roosevelt and it includes the beginning of WWI. I could not understand why if the conflict was between Austria and the Slavs who assassinated the Arch Duke of Austria why would Germany begin by invading France! It took me awhile to wrap my mind about that.
Pat

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.