Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Medical/Hospital based horror

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Rollins | 71 comments I'm after some horror books with a hospital setting or involving psychotic medical staff - something along those lines. Help me out.

message 2: by Mollydee (new)

Mollydee | 193 comments oh man no one answered you yet! I wanted to see what was on the list. I am sure someone knows a good one. Sorry I could not be of help.

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack Rollins | 71 comments You built my hopes up, Melissa! I thought someone had a suggestion.... :)

message 4: by Mollydee (new)

Mollydee | 193 comments I knew that was gonna happen sorry!! Maybe when someone does answer we can do a buddy read. I may even research this. I have some great friends that are very good horror author they may know. I will look into it for you.

message 5: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments The Jigsaw Man would probably be right up your alley. Can't say I've read or know any others though.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark (mark-s) I 2nd The Jigsaw Man

message 7: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
All I can think of are medical thrillers like Implant by F. Paul Wilson .

message 8: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) Invasive Procedures is the only thing I can think of.

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack Rollins | 71 comments Cool these suggestions look good so far!

message 10: by Mollydee (new)

Mollydee | 193 comments I made good on my promise. I asked a horror author friend of mine. Here are some for you https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2... Let me know how you make out!

message 11: by Jack (new)

Jack Rollins | 71 comments Excellent! This will take me 10 years to read through though!

message 12: by Jack (new)

Jack Rollins | 71 comments Excellent! This will take me 10 years to read through though!

message 13: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2879 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "All I can think of are medical thrillers like Implant by F. Paul Wilson."

F. Paul Wilson also wrote a great "abortion themed" short story called Buckets.

message 14: by Myst (new)

Myst | 403 comments I'll second Robin Cook. His stuff is a mix of medical mystery and horror.

I really enjoyed Godplayer, Acceptable Risk and Contagion for hospital based. For slightly less medical setting based, Chromosome 6 and Invasion I also really enjoyed.

A less "hospital" based mystery (not really horror), try Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series. It started out with a strong medical base in the form of a forensic pathologist. It's become kinda personal problem messy vs mystery, but most of the books are still pretty decent.

Also in the medical field, try Robert Ludlum's Covert 1 series. An army doctor goes around trying to stop bio terrorism.

You could also try Critical Judgement by Michael Palmer.

message 15: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3125 comments Mod
This is sort of in the medical/horror realm: Disturb by J.A. Konrath

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian Mcclain | 53 comments Insylum by Z. Rider was pretty enjoyable as well, though it's an asylum 'attraction' rather than a real asylum.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin | 8 comments Jack wrote: "I'm after some horror books with a hospital setting or involving psychotic medical staff - something along those lines. Help me out."

One of the scariest books I ever read was 'Blind Eye: How the Medical Establishment Let a Doctor Get Away with Murder' (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...)

Unfortunately, it was scary because it is a true story, not fiction. This may not be what you are looking for- but I thought I would throw it out there since it matched your description so well!

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna | 49 comments Zombie Apocalypse! Horror Hospital by Mark Morris
Dead Eyes by Michael McBride
Circe by Jessica Penot
The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle
The Manitou by Graham Masterton
Eutopia: A Novel of Terrible Optimism by David Nickle

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Myst wrote: "I'll second Robin Cook. His stuff is a mix of medical mystery and horror.

I really enjoyed Godplayer, Acceptable Risk and Contagion for hospital based. For slightly less medical setting based, Chr..."

Robin Cook is one of those authors where you have a lot of his easy to find at used bookstores. The point is I have tons of his to read but still haven't gotten around to it. I know I read a novel or two when I was young but don't remember them anymore.

message 20: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2879 comments Not a novel, but a manga, and i just finished volume 1 (of 18), yet it seems to fit in the medical/hospital Horror genre:

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1) by Naoki Urasawa

message 21: by Jack (new)

Jack Rollins | 71 comments Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Keep em coming!

message 22: by Cuniculus (last edited Jul 14, 2015 02:25PM) (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2879 comments Halloween and Other Seasons by Al Sarrantonio

Short story collection. One of them, "Roger in the Womb" , has a medical theme. The excellent piece is about a conscious, intelligent human fetus who refuses to be given birth to.

Edit 1:

I know this thread is about books, but I would also recommend the british anthology horror film Asylum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY1qS...

The script was written by Robert Bloch of Psycho fame. Guess that gives some literary reputation to the movie.

Edit 2:

It might be quite obvious, but have you tried the Hannibal Lecter series by Thomas Harris?

Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) by Thomas Harris

The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2) by Thomas Harris

Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3) by Thomas Harris

Dr. Lecter, psychiatrist and cannibal, is perhaps the most infamous psychopath in the history of thriller literature.

message 23: by Eric (new)

Eric Compton (goodreadscomdenimandletters) | 54 comments I've always thought hospitals make atmospheric settings for horror stories. A couple good ones come to mind:

'House of Thunder' by Dean Koontz (a woman finds herself in a strange hospital after a car accident)

'Eat the Dark' by Joe Schreiber (a man finds himself the target of a crazed killer while locked inside a hospital overnight)

'Mountain Man: Hospital' by Keith Blackmore (the prequel to Blackmore's post apocalyptic series 'Mountain Man' about a survivor who enters a dark hospital for supplies)

message 24: by Jack (new)

Jack Rollins | 71 comments Thanks for these suggestions, Ekel and Eric!