What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Black lady recounting her life story to a policeman

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gemgibgob (last edited May 06, 2015 12:40PM) (new)

Gemgibgob | 15 comments The book starts with a black woman who is in a police interview room (although I can't remember what for) and she is being questioned by the police. This is the main focus of the book, her story of how her life spiralled into drugs and prostitution and how she has ended up where she has in her life.
There is also a side story of a teenage white girl (i think from a well off family) who also gets into drugs and ends up overdosing. The two stories become intertwined for the ending but i can't remember how.
I believe i read this book around 2008/2009 and it was new at this time. I do remember it was a woman writer as her picture was either on the back or inside.

Any ideas please?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
So this is fiction? What country is it set in? Race of author?

message 3: by Gemgibgob (new)

Gemgibgob | 15 comments Yes it is fiction. I believe it was set in America but no memory of exactly where. No clue on race of author-sorry! I just remember it being a woman.
Thanks.

message 4: by Gemgibgob (new)

Gemgibgob | 15 comments Bumping as still havent found this book ☺

message 5: by Kris (last edited May 30, 2017 10:26AM) (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
[Updated:] Is this book for young adults (teens) or older adults?

What's the location - England/U.S./country, region, big city/small town?

message 6: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Kris wrote: "Please note the bump period for this large group is 30+ days - or sooner if you remember more information.

Is this book for young adults (teens) or older adults?

What's the location - England/U.S..."

Psst... original post was May of 2015. :) I think they did alright with the bump period. ;)

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
Thanks El. Yes, I just saw the month while quickly scanning.

message 8: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5113 comments Tut tut...

message 9: by Gemgibgob (new)

Gemgibgob | 15 comments Bump

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Anything about the cover?
Was it part of a series?

message 11: by Gemgibgob (new)

Gemgibgob | 15 comments No it wasn't a series and was definitely a stand alone book.
I can't remember anything at all about the cover.
I don't think im ever going to find this one again.

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments A few more questions:
What country were you in when you read this book? What language?
Do you know what country the author is from?

Do you remember what time period the story takes place? How old is the woman when she is talking to the policeman?

message 13: by Gemgibgob (new)

Gemgibgob | 15 comments I read this book in England in English. However the book was definitely set in America. I have no idea where the author was from.

The story jumped in terms of time as it looked back on the main characters life which i would like to say was focused around early 90's. However when she was talking to the policeman it was the present day in the 00's. I think the woman was late 30's/early 40's at this point. The intertwined story of the wealthy teenager was also set in the present day.

Thanks Tab.

message 14: by Gemgibgob (new)

Gemgibgob | 15 comments Bumping, this book has randomly popped up in my mind today.

message 15: by Gemgibgob (new)

Gemgibgob | 15 comments Bump.