Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Alcott, Louisa May - Little Women - Informal Buddy Read; Start: May 7, 2015** Revisit starts January 5, 2019

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Book Synopsis
Little Women is the delightful story of the four March girls and their approach towards womanhood.

Meg, the eldest and most beautiful, shrugs off her vanity and social ambition, discovering fulfillment in romantic love. Boyish Jo on the other hand, with her contempt of all "lovering", turns impetuously towards writing for solace. Gentle Beth rejects worldly interests, preferring to devote her life to her family, to the joy of music and to timidly aiding all who suffer in life. Amy, the youngest and most imperfect of the March girls, continually tries to overcome her selfishness and girlish pretensions, though he has a hard task before her.

The progress of these four "little women" is narrated along the lines of Bunyan's pilgrim, and we are shown how - encountering struggles and learning important lessons along the way - each one attains her own Celestial City.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Revisit starts January 5, 2018

message 5: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) Anyone else on here yet?

Josely Hernandez | 6 comments I’m here!

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 367 comments Looking forward to this!

message 8: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) ok Yay!!! See you guys in two weeks then!

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 556 comments I’m working hard to finish books so that I’ll be ready for this.

message 10: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Dec 24, 2018 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments I recently Orchard House in Concord, MA where LMA lived and saw where she wrote this and then visited her grave in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It was amazing. She was really an inspiring woman.

I'm sure you ladies will enjoy this, a classic read.

message 11: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I recently Orchard House in Concord, MA where LMA lived and saw where she wrote this and then visited her grave in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It was amazing. She was really an inspiring woman.

I'm s..."

I used to love these books but have not read since I was a kid. I'm so jealous you got to see that house.

message 12: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) Keely wrote: "I’m working hard to finish books so that I’ll be ready for this."

I'm trying to finish a couple books myself

Josely Hernandez | 6 comments Happy new year everyone! Can’t wait to start little women with you guys!

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 367 comments I have to dig out my copy when I get home today. Looking forward to revisiting the March girls!

message 15: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara | 15 comments Looking forward to this one as I have always wanted to read it.

message 16: by Laura (last edited Jan 09, 2019 04:49AM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I just borrowed a copy from Overdrive; its been a long time since I read this. I 'm looking forward to re reading it!

Has anyone started it yet?

message 17: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) Laura wrote: "I just borrowed a copy from Overdrive; its been a long time since I read this. I 'm looking forward to re reading it!

Has anyone started it yet?"

Yeah I started this on Monday. And I have to say I loved this book when I was younger. Like Loved it!! But so far i'm a bit underwhelmed. Though Jo was my favorite character and she still is my favorite,

Robin | 27 comments i was planning to as soon as i finish the library book i am currently reading - almost done so hopefully i will have time to finish it later or tomorrow if not today.

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 367 comments I'm also finishing a book today or tomorrow before I start. I'll definitely be able to dive in over the weekend!

Josely Hernandez | 6 comments How’s the reading going? :)

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 556 comments I've only managed to get to about chapter 9 so far. I've got so many other books that I'm reading at the same time. I am enjoying it so far and hopefully I'll get really into it soon that I won't want to put it down.

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 367 comments I'm a couple chapters in as well. I just love this book!

I've seen a couple movie versions and I like to think about which actor did the best job at portraying a character, or who I think of when I'm reading the book. When I read Marmee's parts, I always hear Susan Sarandon's voice in my head. Especially in the very beginning when she's reading the letter from Father. Anyone else?

message 23: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) Is anyone still trying to read this?

message 24: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) Sharon wrote: "I'm a couple chapters in as well. I just love this book!

I've seen a couple movie versions and I like to think about which actor did the best job at portraying a character, or who I think of when ..."

Yes! I always imagine that version but thats the only one ive seen. I think they have a new one that came out too.

♛primadonna♛ (lavenderbird22) | 121 comments Tahmina wrote: "Is anyone still trying to read this?"

I am.!

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 367 comments I'm still reading too! I pick it up between the library books I have that are due back.

I saw that a new movie version is coming out and I am not interested at all. It's too modernized - Beth has cancer not scarlet fever, Father is in Iraq or Afghanistan... I'm just too much of a fan of the original.

We actually saw the preview in the theater when we were seeing another movie and when the preview ended, I turned to my husband and gave a thumbs down sign. No thanks.

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 556 comments I’m still reading this too. I haven’t read any for a while as other books have distracted me, but I hope to read some more soon.

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 556 comments I’m not sure if anyone is still reading this. I’m currently sitting on page 103 which is 35% so I still have a ways to go. I seem to have a habit of reading a few chapters over a couple of days and then not touching it again for weeks. It’s not that I’m not enjoying it, I’ve just had a lot of other things distracting me. However, the number of books I have as ‘currently reading’ is getting ridiculous, so hopefully I will get back into this book and finish it soon-ish.

♛primadonna♛ (lavenderbird22) | 121 comments Keely wrote: "I’m not sure if anyone is still reading this. I’m currently sitting on page 103 which is 35% so I still have a ways to go. I seem to have a habit of reading a few chapters over a couple of days and..."

Same here! I have had so many books on my "Currently Reading" shelf that I moved them to a shelf called "I'll Be Back" lol I hope to finish this one soon though!

message 30: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) I'm still reading this too and keep pushing it off. :) glad to know I am not the only one

message 31: by Tahmina (new) - added it

Tahmina (tpopal) anyone still reading this?

Keely (kiwifruit192) | 556 comments So, I am very confused.
The version of this I was reading was a free version of kindle. According to that I am on chapter 26 and about 51%. Today I found a copy of the book in a charity shop and thought I would get it as I would be less likely to forget about it if it was physically staring at me.
This book only goes up to chapter 23 or as my kindle version counts it as 'the end of part one'.
So my real question is, and I dont know if anyone is still reading this, but are we including both parts in this or just part 1? If only part one then I've been finished for a good month or two...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Little Women (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Louisa May Alcott (other topics)