Colleen Houck Book Club discussion

The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone, #2)
This topic is about The Infinite
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Chats > Live Chat With Lori M. Lee

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (last edited Sep 26, 2016 02:52PM) (new) - added it

Colleen Houck | 1525 comments Mod
Welcome to the group! Lori will be answering questions in Oct 2016 in this thread only. In the meantime if you have a question for the author or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Colleen (new) - added it

Do you have a favorite treat you keep close while you write?

message 3: by Colleen (new) - added it

Can you tell us more about the chimera?

message 4: by Colleen (new) - added it

Where did the idea for this series come from?

message 5: by Colleen (new) - added it

Does your heroine have anything in common with you?

message 6: by Colleen (new) - added it

Did you always want to be a writer?

Ashley | 8 comments Hello. Haven't read any of your books yet but I'm always looking for a good story. Can you recommend one of your books for me?

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments Hola, my name is Natalie. I'm just getting back to reading books, so what type of books do you like to write about?

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Li | 2 comments How do you get past writer's block? I've been trying to find inspiration but nothing has been really jumping out to me. What do you do to get your creative juices flowing?

message 10: by Milena (new)

Milena (love_tea78) Hi Lori, I haven't read any of your books yet. Can you please tell me when did you know you wanted to be a writer and when did you start writing. Where did you get your inspiration for Gates of Thread and Stone? Thank you

message 11: by Colleen (new) - added it

Favorite holiday?

message 12: by Colleen (new) - added it

What are the top YA books you recommend?

message 13: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Colleen wrote: "Do you have a favorite treat you keep close while you write?"

I actually try not to eat anything while writing. I'm super distractible and if my hands are reaching for a snack, that means they're not on the keyboard :P

message 14: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Colleen wrote: "Can you tell us more about the chimera?"

While the gargoyles happened as a result of the war, the chimera are a product of Ninu's deliberate magical (and otherwise) manipulations. I'm not sure how much I should say so I don't spoil anything for those who haven't finished yet haha.

message 15: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Colleen wrote: "Where did the idea for this series come from?"

It was born of a combination of my fascination with time manipulation and mind-controlled super soldiers. When I couldn't decide which idea I wanted to write more, I mashed the two together!

message 16: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Colleen wrote: "Does your heroine have anything in common with you?"

Kai's devotion to her brother, to family both given and chosen, is something I strongly relate to and also a theme I tend to incorporate in most of my writing.

message 17: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Colleen wrote: "Did you always want to be a writer?"

Yes! I've wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. My very first stories were modeled after RL Stine's Fear Street books with lots of ghosts, murder, and exploding heads.

message 18: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Ashley wrote: "Hello. Haven't read any of your books yet but I'm always looking for a good story. Can you recommend one of your books for me?"

Hi Ashley, I'd recommend starting with the first book in the series which is Gates of Thread and Stone :)

message 19: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Natalie wrote: "Hola, my name is Natalie. I'm just getting back to reading books, so what type of books do you like to write about?"

Hi Natalie! I write fantasy and science fiction (although only fantasy is published at the moment). I have a love of all things magical and wondrous :)

message 20: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Sandra wrote: "How do you get past writer's block? I've been trying to find inspiration but nothing has been really jumping out to me. What do you do to get your creative juices flowing?"

Hi Sandra, I've found that what works for me when the inspiration is running dry is to read a lot. Reading other incredible books refills my creative well and inspires me to work harder.

message 21: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Milena wrote: "Hi Lori, I haven't read any of your books yet. Can you please tell me when did you know you wanted to be a writer and when did you start writing. Where did you get your inspiration for Gates of Thr..."

Hi Milena! I knew I wanted to be a writer very early on. I actually can't remember a time when I didn't want to write. I do, however, specifically remember an afterschool program when I was in elementary school that taught kids how create their own picture books. The obsession might have started there :)

message 22: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Colleen wrote: "Favorite holiday?"

Anything with food ;)

message 23: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori (lorimlee) | 11 comments Colleen wrote: "What are the top YA books you recommend?"

I'm OBSESSED with Leigh Bardugo's books, right now particularly the Six of Crows duology. I'd also strongly recommend OTHERBOUND by Corinne Duyvis, UNDER A PAINTED SKY by Stacey Lee, and AN EMBER IN THE ASHES by Sabaa Tahir. I could actually keep going but I'm cutting myself off before I rattle off two dozen titles lol.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle VanDaley (scottysmom) | 7 comments Hi - Michelle here from New Jersey USA, I live near the home of where the Jersey Devil was supposedly born, it's a big thing around here. Where are you from and is there anything it is known for?

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle VanDaley (scottysmom) | 7 comments Do you listen to music while you write? If so who do you listen to? I am a huge Dave Matthews band fan - his lyrics and sound give me goosebumps every time I listen

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle VanDaley (scottysmom) | 7 comments Where is your favorite place to write? My fave place to read is the beach (after tourist season)

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle VanDaley (scottysmom) | 7 comments I have note read your books YET - do you prefer to write cliffhangers or wrap everything up nicely by the end of the book?

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle VanDaley (scottysmom) | 7 comments Who or what inspires you - I am a single Mom and my 11 year old son is my inspiration for everything. I try to be a good role model teaching him how to give back to the community and to be a productive member of society as well as surround himself with like minded positive friends.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle VanDaley (scottysmom) | 7 comments Where you in a "click" in school - I was what I consider an
in-betweener, I wasn't the popular cheerleader but I wasn't the unpopular dork -- However I had friends acrossed the spectrum and learned alot from all

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle VanDaley (scottysmom) | 7 comments What is the hardest obstacle you have overcome and how did you do it? I had back surgery that resulted in a bad infection and longer than normal recovery time 9 years ago and got hooked on the pain medication I was given. Thankfully I sought help and have been clean and sober for almost 8 years (my 8 yr anniversary will be 10/29) I know that I would not be where I am today without the unconditional love and support from my friends and family as well as my faith in a higher power.

message 31: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments who's your favorite author?

message 32: by Milena (new)

Milena (love_tea78) Since it is almost Halloween what is your favorite spooky book and/or movie?

message 33: by Colleen (new) - added it

Ashley is the winner of the Lori M. Lee prize pack! Congrats! Join me next month when my featured book is Illuminae and we'll be chatting with both authors!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Illuminae (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lori M. Lee (other topics)