Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

Task Ideas/Resources/Discussions > Books for english as a second language young adult.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Quyen (new)

Quyen (quyenl) | 2 comments Hello everybody,

As english is my second language, I find that the only way to improve my writing is reading and practising writing regularly.

I've read wide range of books, but mostly business(my major) and self help books. I commit to work on my writing with the goal that in 3 years from now my writing will be as beautiful as some of my profs whom I admire. But I find it's pretty hard to navigate through the culture differences to find good books to read, for example, I read some of the NYT best sellings and still don't quite understand why they get on that list. I start this topic with the hope that I would help some recommendation from you guys. I'm all ears for suggestions. Thank you.

message 2: by Jayne (new)

Jayne Cawthern | 26 comments You might enjoy books by Ann Patchett. Her collection of essays entitled This is the Story of a Happy Marriage includes one about writing. There is such a wide variety of topics that I think you would find at least one that you'd enjoy. Another outstanding book of hers is Bel Canto. It's historical fiction with many diverse characters. Her writing style is beautiful. Good luck in your search!

message 3: by Quyen (new)

Quyen (quyenl) | 2 comments Thank you very much Jayne.

message 4: by Mj (last edited May 07, 2015 04:33PM) (new)

Mj | 32 comments Quyen wrote: "Hello everybody,

As english is my second language, I find that the only way to improve my writing is reading and practising writing regularly.

I've read wide range of books, but mostly business..."

Quyen when you like a book - check out the other books that are similar. It's to the right of the book you read on Goodreads.

Also Goodreads makes recommendations tailored to you based on what you've read and your ratings. Maybe if you added books in your first language that you enjoyed, they would help them with the ratings.

I looked through the books you've read to see what you liked. What I noticed besides business-type books was Eat, Pray, Love plus quite a number of cookbooks. If you like cooking - there are a lot of great memoirs out there about chefs that you might enjoy. I've read a number myself and own tons of cookbooks. While I haven't read Eat, Pray, Love myself I do own it and it's been categorized in the spiritual realm - but maybe you enjoyed the Eat part the most.

If you could provide me with a sense of what you've enjoyed I could perhaps make some recommendations. Also am not sure if you're looking for young adult books in particular.

Fyi, I really enjoy children's books. I love the art and it always has a great message. Might be something to consider as well.

You've got great ambitions. Go for it and good luck in school!!

I have some ideas but some additional input from yourself would be helpful to make the most appropriate recommendations.

message 5: by Megz (new)

Megz (barefootmedstudent) | 12 comments If you're looking for books to improve your writing, take the NYT bestsellers with a pinch of salt ;) those kinds of lists are not necessarily indicative of good WRITING. I feel like the Booker Prize is a good place to start, especially since the lists generally include books from various other countries as well.