Colleen Houck Book Club discussion

Josephine Angelini
This topic is about Josephine Angelini
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Chats > Chat With Josephine Angelini

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (last edited Aug 22, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

Colleen Houck | 1525 comments Mod
Welcome to the group! Josie will be answering questions in Sept 2016 in this thread only. In the meantime if you have a question for the author or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (classicallymiranda) | 26 comments Hi Josephine! I have your book Trial By Fire, I haven't read it though. I am planning on reading it in June. My question is about the title of the second book in the series. In the front of your book Trial by Fire it says the second book is Trail of Tears, however I seen on goodreads it is titled Firewalker. Did the name get changed or am I confused? Thanks! :)

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Tornambe (AnthonyTornambe) | 1 comments Hi Josephine,

I am going to attempt your book "Trial By Fire".

Thanks,
Anthony Tornambe

message 4: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Colleen wrote: "Welcome to the group! Josie will be answering questions in Sept 2016 in this thread only. In the meantime if you have a question for the author or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so..."

Hi! I'm Josie. I write books and stuff. Let's have a chat.

message 5: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Miranda (MirandasBookBlog) wrote: "Hi Josephine! I have your book Trial By Fire, I haven't read it though. I am planning on reading it in June. My question is about the title of the second book in the series. In the front of your bo..."

Hi, Miranda.

Yes, the second book was going to be Trail of Tears, and then we decided to change the title to Firewalker. I know it's confusing. Hope you enjoy it!

message 6: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Anthony wrote: "Hi Josephine,

I am going to attempt your book "Trial By Fire".

Thanks,
Anthony Tornambe"

Glad to hear it, Anthony! Let me know what you think.

message 7: by Milena (last edited Sep 09, 2016 06:25AM) (new)

Milena (love_tea78) Josephine, I love your Worldwalker series! I can't wait to read Witch's Pyre! What inspired you to write this story? How did you come up with the idea?

message 8: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (classicallymiranda) | 26 comments Thank you for answering my question Josephine! :)

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Was it hard wrapping your head around witches after spending time in mythology?

message 10: by Colleen (new)

There's a little sci-fi going on with your Worldwalker series. Did you have to research anything sciencey?

message 11: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Milena wrote: "Josephine, I love your Worldwalker series! I can't wait to read Witch's Pyre! What inspired you to write this story? How did you come up with the idea?"

I came up with the idea after a nightmare about creatures that would become the Woven and a TV show on the Science Channel about parallel universes. For some reason those two things brewed in my head and I got witches. Go figure! Haha!

message 12: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Colleen wrote: "Was it hard wrapping your head around witches after spending time in mythology?"

Not at all! I grew up in Massachusetts where the Salem Witch Trials are drilled into us from a young age. I was always fascinated with that lore and while feels different from Greek mythology, I am attracted to both equally.

message 13: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Colleen wrote: "There's a little sci-fi going on with your Worldwalker series. Did you have to research anything sciencey?"

I've just always loved physics. I am a combo F/SF geek and I was so jazzed I could blend the two in the magical system I created for WorldWalker. I didn't do much research because I had already done a bunch of reading in Quantum and String (and Chaos, although that doesn't come up in my books) Theories in college. Enough to set up my story. This was more of a case of "write what you know" for me. I tend to gravitate toward stuff I'm already familiar with as jumping off points for my books.

The trick is to be curious about tons of stuff all the time and you end up doing research for years without realizing your doing research until one day you write a book.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

There's a bit of a past lives thing going on in Goddess, do you believe in past lives or that we might have something passed down from our ancestors?

message 15: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments I think the concept of life as a cycle is something that I relate to. I think mistakes, especially, are doomed to be handed down through generations unless there is some huge leap in understanding and the cycle is broken. I personally don't know if is such a thing as past lives, but I'll tell you one thing. If there is, I was probably always a peasant. There's no Joan of Arc of Cleopatra in me. Just a long line of field hands and front line infantry!

message 16: by Cali (new)

Cali (cali_) Hi Josephine,
I just wanted to say I am a big fan of your Starcrossed series (crosses fingers for more sequels-a girl can wish). I was surprised that I fell in love with The Worldwalker series because I don't like books with witches, but your series was so much more than magical witches with the parallel dimensions!! Now that I am done fangirling, here is one of my questions: Where did the idea of the willstones come from? -and bio-luminescent trees? :)

message 17: by Milena (new)

Milena (love_tea78) Josephine, are you already planning/writing other projects. If yes, can you tell us anything about it?

message 18: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Cali wrote: "Hi Josephine,
I just wanted to say I am a big fan of your Starcrossed series (crosses fingers for more sequels-a girl can wish). I was surprised that I fell in love with The Worldwalker series beca..."

Aw, thanks so much for the sweet compliments! The idea for the willstones came from need. I was trying to find a natural thing that would work with vibrations, and crystals are sort of known to be part of the white witch lore (in some circles). I was trying to work with as many witch tropes as I could--possession, pyres, potions, herbs, salt and vinegar, and of course, crystals. I got lucky that it worked out so well with the magic I created for this series. I did have my doubts about it, though, because the last thing YA needs is more magical jewelry, but heck. I did it anyway. The bioluminescent trees were just a hint at the vegetable side of a witch's ability to make Woven. Plus, they're cool. :)
Thanks so much for all the <3!

message 19: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Milena wrote: "Josephine, are you already planning/writing other projects. If yes, can you tell us anything about it?"

I am nearly done with two projects, actually! One is a middle grade book with absolutely no magic in it whatsoever. Hopefully, I'll be able to talk about both of these projects in more depth soon, but for now I have to keep a lid on it.

message 20: by Cali (new)

Cali (cali_) I have the first cover of Trial by Fire where Lily is walking toward the castle and I was wondering what made you change the covers or did the publishing company change the covers? Do you have a favorite cover or set of covers? I usually prefer hardback books, but I think the paperback covers where the girls' faces connect is pretty cool.

message 21: by Colleen (new)

So did you have to read like every epic Greek story known to man to write Helen? Wow! Her past lives are crazy cool. I love exploring them with her. Where did your love for mythology come from?

message 22: by Colleen (new)

Josephine wrote: "Milena wrote: "Josephine, are you already planning/writing other projects. If yes, can you tell us anything about it?"

I am nearly done with two projects, actually! One is a middle grade book with..."

Ooh! Let the speculation begin!

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Josephine wrote: "Cali wrote: "Hi Josephine,
I just wanted to say I am a big fan of your Starcrossed series (crosses fingers for more sequels-a girl can wish). I was surprised that I fell in love with The Worldwalke..."

IKR? Magic jewelry is a thing. I think it always will be. Are you a jewelry fan? I have to say I never was until I became a writer and then it kind of exploded. I have so much jewelry and I even shop for it in airports while I wait for planes.

message 24: by Dominique (new)

Dominique Cobb | 2 comments Hi Josephine! I was wondering what gave you the inspiration for you Starcrossed trilogy? I really love Greek Mythology!

message 25: by Cali (new)

Cali (cali_) Colleen wrote: "Josephine wrote: "Milena wrote: "Josephine, are you already planning/writing other projects. If yes, can you tell us anything about it?"

I am nearly done with two projects, actually! One is a midd..."

I am a jewelry fan! I think some pieces really represent characters or tie stories together. Jewelry may be just an object but it can represent a powerful/important symbol. ;)

message 26: by Kathrin (new)

Kathrin H. | 1 comments Hi Josephine,

i love your Starcrossed series and i'm also a big fan of the Worldwalker Trilogy.

In your starcrossed series your wrote that honey is a remedy for Scions. Is there a certain reason for it, why it is honey?

message 27: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Cali wrote: "I have the first cover of Trial by Fire where Lily is walking toward the castle and I was wondering what made you change the covers or did the publishing company change the covers? Do you have a fa..."

My publisher decided to go a different way with the covers after the first book came out. It was a little strange, but I like the new covers better.

message 28: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Colleen wrote: "So did you have to read like every epic Greek story known to man to write Helen? Wow! Her past lives are crazy cool. I love exploring them with her. Where did your love for mythology come from?"

I grew up reading Greek myth on accident. A book happened to be on a shelf at home and I loved it. It's amazing how many influences on writers are really just circumstance. And I didn't read everything for Helen, but I sure did read a lot. It doesn't feel like work when you're reading for enjoyment, though, so I never really considered it research.

message 29: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Colleen wrote: "Josephine wrote: "Cali wrote: "Hi Josephine,
I just wanted to say I am a big fan of your Starcrossed series (crosses fingers for more sequels-a girl can wish). I was surprised that I fell in love w..."

No, I'm not a jewelry fan at all! I know it's crazy, but I only ever wear my simple wedding band. I'm just not a fancy girl. Maybe I should start being more fancy. It will make me look more mysterious and worldly. But who am I kidding?

message 30: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Halbrooks (JohannaHalbrooks) | 12 comments Hi!! My name is Johanna and I am such a huge fan of yours!!! How long do you think on an idea for a story before you begin to write it down? Thank you!!

message 31: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Dominique wrote: "Hi Josephine! I was wondering what gave you the inspiration for you Starcrossed trilogy? I really love Greek Mythology!"

Honestly? I had just pitched an idea for a book to my husband (who is a screenwriter) and it was so complicated he told me that for a first book I should probably so something simpler. I was devastated! I started crying and my bookcase happened to be next to me and in a melodramatic eye roll as I bewept my outcast state, I saw two books on my shelf sitting next to each other. The Iliad and Romeo and Juliet. I turned around and said to my husband, "what about a modern day Helen and Paris who know they have to stay apart or they'll re-start the Trojan War?" and he said BINGO. (actually I don't think he's ever said that word in his life, but you get the gist) And I started writing it that day.

message 32: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Kathrin wrote: "Hi Josephine,

i love your Starcrossed series and i'm also a big fan of the Worldwalker Trilogy.

In your starcrossed series your wrote that honey is a remedy for Scions. Is there a certain reason ..."

Cali wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Josephine wrote: "Milena wrote: "Josephine, are you already planning/writing other projects. If yes, can you tell us anything about it?"

I am nearly done with two projects, actuall..."

Honey is said to have all these healing properties, and it was a very import gift in ancient Greece. Honey was money! So I just wanted to incorporate that into my story somehow. It's just a little detail, but I'm glad you liked it!

message 33: by Cali (new)

Cali (cali_) Is Lillian kind of like Lily's alter ego? I felt like they were different in the first book, then I started to feel some similarities in the second book. Lillian just feels more evil and trying to convince Lily that she is cut from the same mold.

message 34: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Johanna wrote: "Hi!! My name is Johanna and I am such a huge fan of yours!!! How long do you think on an idea for a story before you begin to write it down? Thank you!!"

Hi Johanna! Thank you for being a fan, btw. And I think about projects for a while before I start writing, but it's different for every one. If I'm starting a whole new series it takes me months to get everything outlined the way I want it, but if I'm about to do the last book in a series it's like I've already been thinking about it for years so I just dive right in. It's hard to say, really. Like, I've been thinking about a new series for two years now but I probably won't even start it for another two years so that would be the longest.

message 35: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Cali wrote: "Is Lillian kind of like Lily's alter ego? I felt like they were different in the first book, then I started to feel some similarities in the second book. Lillian just feels more evil and trying to ..."

I always saw Lillian as the evil voice in Lily's head. That bad devil on her shoulder who never really goes away. I think we all have that in our heads. The cruel version of us who needs to be heard in order to be thwarted.

message 36: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments I have a question for Colleen. Your latest series is about a culture that believed in a very vivid and mapped out afterlife. Do you share that view or lean more towards reincarnation or maybe something totally different?

message 37: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Benavides | 12 comments What type of gendered do u like to read in your free time?

message 38: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Kylie wrote: "What type of gendered do u like to read in your free time?"

What does "gendered" mean?

message 39: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Josephine wrote: "Kylie wrote: "What type of gendered do u like to read in your free time?"

What does "gendered" mean?"

Did your spell check turn genre into gendered? I think so. I really hate spell check sometimes, but I love it almost always because I can't spell to save my life. Anyway, if you meant genre, I read mostly YA. Sometimes I'll read adult fantasy, too.

message 40: by Cali (new)

Cali (cali_) This is a silly question for Josie but I must know! -Where did the name Breakfast come from? :)

message 41: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Cali wrote: "This is a silly question for Josie but I must know! -Where did the name Breakfast come from? :)"

I built an anecdote about Stuart barfing up his breakfast of eggs and OJ all over the cafeteria when they were in middle school and that instead of letting other kids tease him with the nickname "Breakfast" he adopted it and owned it. It's how this goofy yet strong character deals with bullying. I did it intentionally to show both his humor and his bravery.

message 42: by Yara (new)

Yara (yaratr) | 5 comments Hi Josie!

If you had to pick between Lucas or Rowan, who would you pick?

message 43: by Cali (new)

Cali (cali_) Question for Colleen and Josie- Do you think Lily Proctor could be friends with Lily Young? #LilyPower

message 44: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Yara wrote: "Hi Josie!

If you had to pick between Lucas or Rowan, who would you pick?"

Probably Rowan, but right now my character crush in on a new boy. His name is Jordan and hopefully you'll all be meeting him soon. ;)

message 45: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Cali wrote: "Question for Colleen and Josie- Do you think Lily Proctor could be friends with Lily Young? #LilyPower"

Lily Proctor is a difficult character to get along with. I would not be surprised if Colleen said no.

message 46: by Colleen (new)

Josephine wrote: "I have a question for Colleen. Your latest series is about a culture that believed in a very vivid and mapped out afterlife. Do you share that view or lean more towards reincarnation or maybe somet..."

I lean towards vivid and mapped out. In the case of my new series, I had to weave together bits and pieces of myths that didn't really connect very well and make sense of the whole story. I don't think in reality it would be that complicated. =)

message 47: by Colleen (new)

Josephine wrote: "Yara wrote: "Hi Josie!

If you had to pick between Lucas or Rowan, who would you pick?"

Probably Rowan, but right now my character crush in on a new boy. His name is Jordan and hopefully you'll al..."

I do that. I'm a love the one you're with kind of author when it comes to my dashing young men. ;)

message 48: by Colleen (new)

Josephine wrote: "Cali wrote: "Question for Colleen and Josie- Do you think Lily Proctor could be friends with Lily Young? #LilyPower"

Lily Proctor is a difficult character to get along with. I would not be surpris..."

I think they'd get along just fine. Both girls are touched by magic and have a foundation in the mortal world they were born in. They might meet up for hot chocolate to commiserate. Either that or therapy group. ;)

message 49: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Angelini | 23 comments Colleen wrote: "Josephine wrote: "Cali wrote: "Question for Colleen and Josie- Do you think Lily Proctor could be friends with Lily Young? #LilyPower"

Lily Proctor is a difficult character to get along with. I wo..."

LOL! Yes. Definitely therapy!

message 50: by Colleen (new)

Thanks so much to Josie for being an excellent sport and answering all my questions! The winner of the Josephine Angelini chat is Yara! Congrats! Join me next month when my featured author will be Lori M. Lee!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Goddess (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Josephine Angelini (other topics)
Lori M. Lee (other topics)