Belles of the South discussion

Group Reads > Our Southern Summer Read 2015

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby | 86 comments Mod
It's that time of year again! By the start of June we will be having another group read! I'd be very grateful for suggestions you have for what book we should read. We are looking for books set in the South that are at least fairly decent/appropriate. I will probably set up a poll with your suggestions that we can vote on at the end of May.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 89 comments Sweeter Than Tea sounds interesting and I enjoyed Lost Lake as well as Looking for Me

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman is scheduled for a July release. It might be interesting to do a group read. Have most of us in the group read To Kill a Mockingbird?

message 4: by Abby (new)

Abby | 86 comments Mod
That would be very cool to read this summer, even if it meant a late start, Joanne! I am reading To Kill a Mockingbird right now, actually!

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 89 comments I will start reading it now so I will be ready for the new release

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby | 86 comments Mod
That would be great, Sandy! Go Set a Watchman is definitely in the running for our Southern Summer Read, but all your suggestions are too!

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Abby wrote: "That would be great, Sandy! Go Set a Watchman is definitely in the running for our Southern Summer Read, but all your suggestions are too!"

We can certainly set a future date for Go Set a Watchman group read to give time for everyone to read To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 8: by Abby (new)

Abby | 86 comments Mod
Hello Belles! I'm here to happily announce this summer's Southern Read! We will be reading both To Kill a Mockingbird and Go Set a Watchman (as soon as it comes out). I can't wait to read these with everyone, and see all of your comments here!

message 9: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Great selections Abby. I hope everyone will enjoy reading both books this summer.

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Great choice!

message 11: by Abby (new)

Abby | 86 comments Mod
Thanks!I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird so I'll be waiting for the sequel!

message 12: by L8blmr (last edited Jun 15, 2015 10:46AM) (new)

L8blmr | 11 comments My poor copy of To Kill a Mockingbird is literally (see what I did there?) falling apart! I may go to the thrift store and buy one just to re-read. I am very excited about the new one!

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby | 86 comments Mod
I think we're all excited for Go Set a Watchman to come out on July 14! How is everybody liking To Kill a Mockingbird so far? Who is your favorite character? What do you think of Scout?

message 14: by Sandy (last edited Jun 19, 2015 04:52PM) (new)

Sandy | 89 comments I finished TKAM last night. 30 years ago it was required reading in high school. I enjoyed it so much more this time around. My favorite character is Atticus. He did not let society change him or his morals. He has taught his children to treat people with respect and understand that if given a chance people will generally do good. He is a protector and his children have learned to be protectors. Scout is a tough little tomboy. Starts out being young and innocent But by the end, you see she is so much like her father. Almost an old soul by the age of 8. I am excited to start TSAW.

message 15: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) I have reread this one numerous times and love it more every reading. Atticus is not only my favorite character in this book. He stands out for me when I think of my overall favorite characters from all of my reading. Definitely top ten. Probably top five.

message 16: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Harper Lee brilliantly captured every little nuance of living in the south; from the weather to the general atmosphere with every description being spot on and accurate.