Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Daphne du Maurier
This topic is about Daphne du Maurier
Specific List Authors > Daphne Du Maurier

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) BBC Radio 4 Extra is reading some Daphne du Maurier short stories this week: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010t6h4

Description:

In East Wind the lives of a young couple are altered irrevocably when a group of beguiling strangers are shipwrecked off the shores of the Scilly Isles. Excitingly, East Wind is one of several recently rediscovered stories by Daphne du Maurier, and published in her new anthology, The Doll: The Lost Short Stories. East Wind was written when she was just nineteen, until now it has only ever been published in the United States and was found in her 1926 notebooks in the archives at Exeter University. Most of the other stories included in the collection have never been published or have been out of print for decades. Written early on in du Maurier's writing career they reveal the dark themes explored in the novels that made her name.

Reader: Anna Madeley
Abridger: Richard Hamilton
Producer: Elizabeth Allard.

message 2: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 50 comments I wonder how abridged the stories are. All three of the stories are 15-20 pages each, so reading them in 15 minutes seems a bit rushed.

I picked up the ebook version of The Doll: The Lost Short Stories when it was on sale in December but I haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

Maybe I'll listen to one of the stories and read along to see what was left out.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read that collection when it first came out and really enjoyed it!

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) On this day in 1907 Born: Daphne du Maurier, English author and playwright. Many of her works were adapted into films, including Rebecca and Jamaica Inn. The adaptations of her works were directed by Alfred Hitchcock.