The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt | Marc, Tricia, Lynai | May 9

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynai (last edited May 06, 2015 06:47AM) (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Hi buddies! We're going to read this until the end of May ba? How do we go about with the reading plan? The book is divided into 3 parts. Maybe we can read one part every week? I have the Sceptre edition (view spoiler).

message 2: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments I will download a copy once I am home. And I will lurk / join sometime in the future hehehehe

message 3: by Tricia (last edited May 12, 2015 06:18PM) (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Hallo! I started the book actually when I bought it and stopped. I started reading it again from the very first page and it is good.

So how are you finding it, Lynai? Luis mainly talks about a letter he has been reading on the first few lines and the mystery behind the letter intrigued me but he wasn't really going to talk about it and didn't talk about it after few pages. Kind of weird to start a novel.

message 4: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Luis has met Bill/William and visited his home at the Bowery. What is your impression of Bill? How about the painting in his home? Series of the woman (3 paintings). The first time I have read it, it reminded me of BenCab. He has this penchant of painting his Muse, Sabel. Do you think, as early as now, Violet is his muse? I want to know your interpretations per painting!

message 5: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments TRICIA: Started a couple of pages pa lang because the baby is feverish! Huhu but I will catch up on the weekend.

message 6: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments I started reading this and I felt weird especially (view spoiler) I KENAT IMAGINE. It also reminded me of Sabel ni Bencab, Tricia. Yung muse nya in multiple variations ahahahaha.

I forgot about the letter at the start of the novel after reading through the story of Bill and the narrator and their friendship. Totoo ba si Violet? What is her story? Ano ang tunay nyang tsura? Lagi ba syang sugatan or whatnot, mga ganun.

Maybe this is the part I find the novel challenging. It is mysterious, yes, but not really gripping. You have to have patience.

message 7: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Have you felt the serenity and sadness in the narrator's voice?

message 8: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Actually, no. HUHUHU. Or maybe not yet. Siguro kasi babae ang sumulat tapos lalaki yung narrator, or may linger pa sakin yung Summer Without Men. Naaalibadbaran ako hahahaha

message 9: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments TRICIA AND ELLA: So, I started reading already but wasn't able to update. Anyway, I am really no painting fan so I don't have any CulturedLikeYakult interpretations for the 3 paintings as of now. I am more interested in the progress of the friendship between Bill and Luis. I also am interested about this Violet lady. What role will she play in the story? And what really happened to Lucille? These are things that I look forward to knowing.

Medyo masakit lang sa mata ang font size ng copy ko so I am trying to motivate myself to catch up with the reading plan. This is Mavic's favorite read for the year so I'm curious how that happens. :)

message 10: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments By the way, I liked what Bill said about his certain fondness for skin in his paintings. Very meticulous, this man.

message 11: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Lynai wrote: "By the way, I liked what Bill said about his certain fondness for skin in his paintings. Very meticulous, this man."

AKO RIN! I don't really know about men being engaged or attracted to skin. Maybe because of the skin's softness and the intention to leave a mark hehehe

message 12: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Tricia, (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Aha. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments WAIT, I was stuck. I will catch up by the weekend as work is being a bitch lol

OMG SPOILER PERO OMG HOW LEMME READ

message 15: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments I WAS ON THAT PART TOO ZOMG (view spoiler)

message 16: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Pero nakakaloka yung mga bata, magkaibang-magkaiba ang ugali ng mga anak nila hehehe

message 17: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Holler on what part are you on the book because I was just done reading the whole lot. MOST OF THE PARTS ARE SAD :'(

message 18: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments MARIA ELLA: I just started Part 2 and (view spoiler) Part 1 was a trudge but I find reading Part 2 to be a breeze. The plot is slowly taking shape.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.