What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > 60s Humor Book Series (Probably Mad Libs)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1212 comments I read this book series back in the late 60s. I think they were fairly new at the time. On each page was a short story with blank spaces. For each of the blank spaces you were prompted to fill it in with something like, a country, a fruit, a prison, a singer, etc., then you read back the story with the suggestions entered. I think they were intended for use in groups or a party situation. One of my teachers occasionally read one in class for us.
The books were softbound. Rather narrow for their height, and may have been bound at the top, like a tablet.

message 2: by David (new)

David Brown (r2drivenimpala) | 70 comments Sounds similar to Mad Libs.

message 3: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1212 comments Yes, but it predates them.

message 4: by Teri-K (last edited May 06, 2015 12:25PM) (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments We played Mad Libs back in the 60's. I remember the name specifically, and they were soft covered, a tall rectangle bound at the top. They were first published in 1958, according to sources I found.

message 5: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1212 comments Teri-k wrote: "We played Mad Libs back in the 60's. I remember the name specifically, and they were soft covered, a tall rectangle bound at the top. They were first published in 1958, according to sources I found."

Thanks for the correction. My brief search didn't turn up that info.

Still, the name doesn't sound familiar, so I wonder if maybe it was a knockoff?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Bargle, are you closer to determining whether this was Mad Libs?

message 7: by Bargle (last edited Nov 21, 2016 05:05AM) (new)

Bargle | 1212 comments No, but that's OK. It probably is Mad Libs and I've just forgotten the series title after nearly 50 years.