2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
This topic is about Wild
. Week 19: True Story > Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erica | 214 comments I'll be reading Wild for this week. I have heard mostly good things, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.

message 2: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new) - rated it 1 star

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
I think it is one of those books that people either love or hate. I hope you enjoy it.

message 3: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) My aunt read it... She said it was OK, but I don't think it's my kind of book.

Erica | 214 comments So far so good. I've been in a similar situation to what happened in the beginning (before the hike), although not with a parent. That, combined with hormones (I'm 6 months pregnant), and the beginning was a huge sob fest for me :( Just getting into the hike now.

message 5: by Deana (last edited May 07, 2015 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deana (ablotial) I think I'll be reading this one as well, but I may be a bit behind ... i'm still on hold at the library.

message 6: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Has anyone watched the movie?

Erica | 214 comments Finished this morning. I mostly liked it, although some of her decisions made me angry. Still, it's pretty impressive what she did even with some major gaps in preparation. I haven't seen the movie, but will try to soon.

message 8: by Michelle, Mod Assistant (new) - rated it 1 star

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 403 comments Mod
I did watch the movie. I really enjoyed Reese Witherspoon's portrayal, but the overall opinion of the movie pretty much mirrored my thoughts on the book.

Lillis Lish | 11 comments Cheryl Strayed used this journey on the Pacific Crest Trail as a sort of vision quest after the breakup of her marriage and the death of her mother. I don't know how many of us would have the guts to endure this hardship alone.

message 10: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Wow. That sounds pretty insane. Kudos to her!

Erica | 214 comments She is definitely gutsy! It seems like it really helped her get her life together too.

Deana (ablotial) FINALLY got this one from the library (I was on the wait list, something like 600th in line, starting in MARCH... wow. Maybe I should have just gave in and bought it).

I'll read it this weekend :)

Deana (ablotial) Ok, I lied about reading it that weekend. I just started it last night. But I'm enjoying it so far. She made some awful choices, but I guess grief can do that to some people, so I'll try not to judge her for her past but for what she does moving forward.

So far her journey on the trail sounds both awful and a lot of fun, in an awful sort of way :P Sort of like marathon training. Hehe. I've always wanted to hike in the Appalachians, maybe this will inspire me.

Deana (ablotial) Finished this the other day. Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to! Though there are a lot of parts of Cheryl's life that I do not agree with, I am glad she was able to make peace with herself and her mother's death out there on the trail.

I've heard complaints about the trail journey parts of the book (either she went into too much detail or not enough, depending on how much the readers like hiking) and also the romantic aspects (same thing, either too much or too little) but I think there was the perfect balance for my tastes, at least.