What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical childrens book about servant girl

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (Claudipops) | 2 comments Hi guys. I'm trying to find a book I read in primary school about 20 years ago. Basically all I remember is that it's about a young girl who becomes a servant girl. I remember that the beginning is about a voyage by sea and I think there was a storm. I know that the girl wnds up alone and has to work as a servant, amd at one point she takes a bath in the big kitchen sink and gets severely reprimanded for it. I think she is accused of stealing jewelry at some point too. I know its not much to go on! I remember the front cover though with a illustration of a young blonde girl with a ship (I think) behind her. And I have a feeling the title and her name may be something to do with a flower, maybe Rose?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

message 2: by Itamoo (new)

Itamoo | 11 comments out of curiousity, was she going to a private school at the time when her parents were lost and they let her stay on while making her be a servant

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (Ellemae) | 3 comments Could it have been one of the books in the "Dear America" series? I believe there's one with a plot like this, though sadly can't remember which. Many of the books in that series came out about 19 years ago.

message 4: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 204 comments Kathleen has almost all of that in it: girl traveling from Ireland with her family, ends up being the only one left when arriving in New York. She takes a job as a servant in a wealthy house and learns to make jewelry. When her jewelry is found, she's accused of having stolen it. I don't remember a scene with a kitchen sink and she has red hair. Kathleen (Sunfire, #8) by Candice Ransom

One that probably more closely fits your remembered cover is Merrie (Sunfire, #25) by Vivian Schurfranz . She does become a servant in a house in Jamestown.

Do you remember anything at all about the era?

message 5: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (Claudipops) | 2 comments Hi, thanks for the responses. Sorry I didnt reply sooner. Itamoo - I don't think she was at a private school. But thanks for the suggestion!

Emily - I've never actually heard of that series but I will look into it. It could well have been a part of that.

Natasha - that cover looks really familiar, although I think the girl in the book I read was younger, like 10/11 and blonde. But I will definatly look into Kathleen. To be honest I was about 10 when I read it myself so I wasn't really aware of eras as such, but I feel like the book you suggested is the same kind of period. I also just remembered that I saw a tv show in the daytime on channel 4 (UK) that I think was a dramatisation of this book. This was at least 10 years ago though.

Thank you so much for your help!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Claudia, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Not an exact match but maybe A Little Princess?