Middle East/North African Lit discussion

The Prophet
This topic is about The Prophet
Poetry section > The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Niledaughter | 2754 comments Mod
When I came by the adaption of Kahlil Gibran's The ProphetT as an animated film , I thought of creating this thread so we may exchange thoughts about the book :)

Jalilah | 757 comments I've been reading about it and am looking forward to seeing it!
Here's an article and the YouTube clip

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertain...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3p7s...

message 3: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Melanie (magidow) | 607 comments Mod
It looks like fun :)

message 4: by Niledaughter (last edited May 07, 2015 03:11AM) (new) - added it

Thanks for sharing Jalila , I have been postponing reading this book for so long , now I have to read it if I want to accompany my daughter watching it...lol ! :D

message 5: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Melanie (magidow) | 607 comments Mod
I've read it, and enjoyed it. It's not too long, ND :)

Who is going to read this book ?

Jalilah | 757 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Who is going to read this book ?"

I am interested! When would the group read be?

message 9: by Jalilah (last edited Feb 18, 2016 04:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jalilah | 757 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Who is going to read this book ?"

Sorry I just checked and saw the group read starts February 15.
I have ordered The Prophet and will hopefully be able to start later this month.
In any case count me in! I am looking forward to reading something positive and uplifting!

message 10: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

Me too :)

message 11: by Samy (new) - rated it 1 star

Samy | 25 comments I will read this as well.

Eileen (eileencolucci) | 75 comments The Prophet is one of my favorite books of all time. It is an inspiration in my writing and where I go when I need solace and hope. I would love to participate in a discussion of this book. (Thanks too for the info about the film. I was not aware of it.)

message 13: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

Great to have you both :) my copy has a long intro about Gibran so I will finish it before starting the book itself .

message 14: by Samy (new) - rated it 1 star

Samy | 25 comments Sorry I did not care for this book. It seemed pseudo-spiritual and did not impress me. I found the biography at the beginning to be the most interesting part.

Here are two links (both critical). The first is a biography and the second is a spoof summary of the book.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/200...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2010...

message 15: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

I am still reading the first part ( the biography ), thanks for the links , I will check them .

Jalilah | 757 comments I read this years ago as an older teen, but as I re-read I realise how some parts are just unforgettable, like the parts on marriage and children. It's not a book that I enjoy as a straight through read, rather I like to just read a section or do every now and then. For me it amazing how much ahead of this time this book was. I can well imagine that some of Gibran's writings and drawings must have been shocking for people in the 1920s, not just in the Middle East but in North America.

message 17: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

Jalilah wrote: "I read this years ago as an older teen, but as I re-read I realise how some parts are just unforgettable, like the parts on marriage and children. It's not a book that I enjoy as a straight through..."

How did I miss this post !
I am studing right now which made it difficult for me to catch up with Goodreads , I thought of reading this book with small chunks and I am glad that you recommended this .

I really hope we still have a chance to discuss this book .

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Prophet (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kahlil Gibran (other topics)