Hello History Book Club discussion

MAY BOOK OF THE MONTH

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellenia) | 23 comments Mod
The May Book of the Month is The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton! Happy reading!

message 2: by Ceri (new)

Ceri (klassycatlady) I'm new to this group and have never participated in a group read before but I'm very pleased to see that this won since I just started reading it yesterday anyway! I think it will be a quick read for me and I look forward to discussing it with you all.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellenia) | 23 comments Mod
Ceri wrote: "I'm new to this group and have never participated in a group read before but I'm very pleased to see that this won since I just started reading it yesterday anyway! I think it will be a quick read ..."

yay thanks for joining! cant wait to see how everyone likes it!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome :) I have been waiting for the right time to read this book ...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome :) I have been waiting for the right time to read this book ...

message 6: by Ceri (new)

Ceri (klassycatlady) I just finished it and it was only okay. For a book with FOUR pages of review quotes at the beginning- words like "haunting", "mesmerising", "magical" from a wide variety of publications I'm surprised to find the best word I can find to describe it is "forgettable"
It has some excellent qualities- a very strong sense of its historical setting, a couple of well rounded characters (Marin, for me, felt very real) and a good plot.
There was a lot to like, but I just never got any atmosphere out of it, which was what I was expecting.
I suppose the moral here is, don't always believe the hype!