Atheistically Speaking Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 61 comments Let's get to know each other a little better! Who are you, where are you from, what do you do, what do you like, what books do you read?

I'm Danielle, I'm a structural engineer from the Midwest. My job is designing bridges. I live with my husband and two cats, and I enjoy video games, computer coding, and knitting/crocheting. I like to read a variety of science and non-fiction books, and also trashy fantasy and romance novels. I'm also the same Danielle Thomas interviewed a while back about my experience in Al-Anon.

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Smith | 13 comments Danielle is also awesome for managing this group! My name is Thomas, 28, California. I'm not really into Atheistically Speaking because I find the host boring but I'm really excited for this book club!

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 61 comments Thanks! Oh, and I forgot to add, I'm 26.

message 4: by Dominick (new)

Dominick Pollastro | 1 comments I'm Dominick. Been in the Army as a part timer for a while. I am graduating this week from Lewis & Clark College in Portland with a degree in Economics where I spent my free time as a high adventure guide, playing rugby, and working in student government. I will be starting a financial advising job later this month.

One wife, one daughter, one cat, and a pile of books to read. Mostly read non-fiction because of work, school, and my areas of interest. But I need to start on those novels everyone keeps talking about.

message 5: by Marcel (new)

Marcel Janssens | 22 comments I'm Marcel, age 47. I'm from the Netherlands, living in Delft. Married, 4 kids. I'm a high school teacher (physics and R&D) (our school system is a bit different from that in the US I guess. I teach 13 to 18 year olds). I read mostly sciency books (physics and cosmology stuf), and an occasional mystery story. In recent years I started reading books on atheism. Oh, and for a yeqr and a half now I've been 'reading' the bible. THere is this podcast ''Somebody (forgot the name) and the Bible''. You should check it out.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thesummerqueen) | 3 comments Rachel, 30, living in Charlotte. My massive TBR list wasn't masochistic enough, so I joined this group.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Kamal | 8 comments I'm Ben, 26, from Scotland. Thomas interviewed me about 6 months ago. In that episode I said "you know" and "um" about 265 times too many.

I'm currently "between jobs" but have a couple of interviews coming up so wish me luck.

message 8: by [chris] (last edited May 06, 2015 12:41PM) (new)

[chris] Dale | 2 comments I'm Dale, 23, from the Minnesota. I like sailing, movies, and coding. I've been reading a lot lately because of my ridiculously long bus compute and finally graduating from college. I mostly read historical non-fiction, personal growth, and turn-of-the-century British popular literature.

I am the same Dale you may remember from a debate about an immaterial mind and an incoherent rant about whether theists can be Perfectly Happy.

message 9: by Jared (new)

Jared Mackinnon | 12 comments I'm Jared, 36. I work really hard at being super boring. I enjoy reading books that are way too smart for me... physics, astronomy, psychology, philosophy, and some fiction spread out through it all. I cant' really pin-point when I became an atheist, it was sometime in the last 6 years. Instead of college I stayed up late listening to Art Bell while waiting for the 'end times' so I find myself playing catch-up as I hope to regain some intellectual credibility.

message 10: by LaTonya (new)

LaTonya | 2 comments I'm LaTonya, 20. I'm a college student majoring in civil engineering and live in California. I've always liked reading fiction books but have been reading a lot less since getting to college. I spend a lot of my time watching anime and I'm trying to find the time to practice basketball. I also enjoy baking and am trying to learn more about cooking.

message 11: by Chad (new)

Chad Cain | 1 comments Hi, I'm Chad. I am a 33 year old stay at home dad. I live in San Antonio, Texas, but am originally from Kansas. I have a B.S. in sociology with a minute in history. I really like to read non-fiction literature, especially history and philosophy ones.

message 12: by Shannon (last edited May 11, 2015 01:47PM) (new)

Shannon (votesaxon) | 7 comments I'm Shannon. I live in the DC metro area and work as an administrative assistant. I'm pretty boring: I like to read, watch TV, play board games, and go for long walks and short runs. I am looking forward to the book club!

Edited to add: I'm 27

message 13: by Evan (new)

Evan | 2 comments My name's Evan. I'm 25 years old and am probably in the running for geographically closest listener to Thomas (just south of Sacramento). I collect hobbies, currently most into RC planes, beekeeping, violin, bicycling, backpacking, Swedish language, Morse code & amateur radio. I read a bunch, mostly fiction, and hope to be an author myself someday.

message 14: by Émile (new)

Émile (ejetzer) | 1 comments I'm Émile, from Quebec. I study physics at McGill,mind like to swim & bike. In the summer I work at the Parc National du Mont Megantic, entertaining tourists with what we know about the stars & universe. I also am generally interested by everything.

message 15: by Jon (new)

Jon | 14 comments My name's Jon. I am 48 years old and I live in southern California. I like to read fiction, typically SF&F and mystery. When reading non-fiction I usually stick to science, philosophy and religion. I'm a small business owner, have a degree in Cultural Anthropology and my family loves to play Settlers of Cataan.

message 16: by Marcel (new)

Marcel Janssens | 22 comments Hi Jon, I feared I was (by far) the eldest (47!) member of the book club But you beat me to it....!

welcome Jon, regards Marcel.

message 17: by Pete (new)

Pete | 2 comments Hey everyone, my name is Pete. 39, from NYC. Currently back in school studying Accounting, should graduate in about a year. Sort of a nerd as I read mostly Business and Finance books. Am also an avid runner.

message 18: by Jon (new)

Jon | 14 comments Marcel wrote: "Hi Jon, I feared I was (by far) the eldest (47!) member of the book club But you beat me to it....!

welcome Jon, regards Marcel."

Hi Marcel, yeah, thanks for pointing THAT out. :) Hopefully someone will come along soon and steal that honor away from me. I actually do find this subject interesting. In my small social circle I am by far the oldest person that listens to podcasts so it will be fun to see what kind of age range we have here.

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonhs) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Allison. I'm 43 (oldest lady! Yay me!), and work as a registered nurse near Houston, although I'm from Alabama. I am married and have 2 teenage sons. I spend most of my time doing mom/wife stuff, and in my spare time I knit and sew (pinterest has ruined everything good in the world), exercise only when my fitbit harasses me about it, and help run the neighborhood book club and swim team. I enjoy reading anything interesting and well-written, and some stuff that isn't.

message 20: by Mike (new)

Mike G. | 2 comments I'm Mike. I live in St. Louis, MO. This is ambitious of me to join since I have a habit of buying books and not finishing or not even starting them. I'm currently "reading" Demon Haunted World for the last year, and recently picked up Phil Zuckerman's Living the Secular Life.

I'm married and have a son (9) and a daughter (6). I sold my business recently and have more time to work on my To Do list around the house which is convenient for podcasts but less so for books.

message 21: by Jascollins (new)

Jascollins | 8 comments H'llo. I generally go by Jascollins online.

I'm in the Los Angeles area. Most of the people here are transplants, but I'm a native. I like to imagine that gives me a refreshingly unimpressed attitude.

I'm 47, and lost my faith a few dozen times over two decades or so, starting from from age 7. It eventually stuck when I ran out of ad-hoc ways to redefine something that could both possibly exist and be called divine.

I come from an Evangelical extended family, and transitioned through a few flavours of succeedingly more and more liberal Protestant theologies, a form of nonspecific Abrahamic Deism, Taoism, flirted with Zen, and ended up in a Neo-Jungian pantheistic excuse for a sort of Hindu-esque New Age Paganism (but with Gods from all over the planet).

At this point if it has been worshipped anywhere on Earth, I've probably spent some months finding a few holes in it.

I've been polyamorous for a little over 20 years. My ex-wife and I have one son, my GF and I have one daughter, and she has a son by her previous marriage. As one might expect from someone with four generations in California, I've been through the total hippy experience.

I am really REALLY committed to the Humanist project, though where I got my grounding in it is a bit of a mystery, since most of my library is far more Libertarian than Humanist.

message 22: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Sergiusz | 4 comments Hello my name is Adrian I'm from Poland and grew most of my life in Toronto Canada. I taught English as a second language in Korea for 4 years and recently moved to Malaysia . I graduated in Life Science and am an avid reader of science, philosophy, and history. I can't wait to participate and read the books here. I was also a guest on the show awhile back and i'dlove to get to know your thoughts about the books we read together!

Cheers!

message 23: by Ben (new)

Ben Kamal | 8 comments Hi, this is completely off topic but anyway...

I'm trying to get into EFL teaching right now. I've got an interview for a job in Japan but obviously it's not guaranteed.

I'd just like to know what it was like teaching in Korea. I haven't really considered it an option up til now. Should I?

Bardzo dziękuję.

Ben

message 24: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Williamson (dwertz) | 3 comments Hi my name is Geoff and I live in the southeastern part of Australia. I service and restore old music equipment, stuff from the 50s 60s and 70s that I love the sound of. I've made that my living in recent years after originally studying psychology and philosophy then spending nearly 25 years working in the criminal justice system. I love exploring different world views and how people come to think the way they do. Looking forward to discussing various books as we go along!

message 25: by Marcel (new)

Marcel Janssens | 22 comments Jon wrote: "Marcel wrote: "Hi Jon, I feared I was (by far) the eldest (47!) member of the book club But you beat me to it....!

welcome Jon, regards Marcel."

Hi Marcel, yeah, thanks for pointing THAT out. :)..."

At least you managed to get to 48! I still have to reach that....

message 26: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Williamson (dwertz) | 3 comments Ha! I'm surrounded by spring chickens! At 53 I find it difficult to believe I might be the oldest chap here...sure don't feel it!

message 27: by Benny (new)

Benny | 1 comments Hi all! My name is Ben. I live in Portland Oregon. I make beer for a living. My job affords me the opportunity to listen to podcasts and audio books all day. I enjoy gardening and woodworking. I live with my wife, our dog and a varying numbers of cats. Im I'm pretty stoked to chat with others about books I've just read or listened to. Oh and I'm 39.

message 28: by Jay (new)

Jay | 8 comments I'm Jay, 48, in Jacksonville, FL. I have two great sons and an awesome girlfriend. I am an atheist, a fan of Atheistically Speaking and an avid reader. I would like to be a more active atheist but there aren't any atheist groups around here that do more than meet socially. My main area of interest is the psychology of beliefs, especially religious beliefs.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Dsida | 2 comments Hi, I'm Rachel, and at 45, that makes ME the oldest lady here, at least so far. Sorry Allison. I work in environmental health and safety, and I have two kids that run me ragged. Since I work from home, I listen to podcasts all day to keep me company.

message 30: by Vulture (new)

Vulture (vulture565) | 2 comments I'm Robyn, 45, Houston, TX, married with 10 cats. Yeah.. 10. I am a chainmailler/metal weaver by trade and volunteer in the cattery at a no-kill animal shelter because I just can't get enough of scooping cat crap.

Besides a cat fetish, I am also a total opera nerd, chess geek, and atheist for 20 years.

I joined this group about a week ago but decided instead of playing catch-up with Pale Blue Dot, I'll just start with the new book in June.

message 31: by Jascollins (new)

Jascollins | 8 comments Robyn wrote: "I'm Robyn, 45, Houston, TX, married with 10 cats. Yeah.. 10. I am a chainmailler/metal weaver by trade and volunteer in the cattery at a no-kill animal shelter because I just can't get enough of sc..."

Yeah, it's a good thing you started with being married, because...let's just say I know a few thousand guys who would kill to see you on OKCupid.

message 32: by Vulture (new)

Vulture (vulture565) | 2 comments Jascollins wrote: "it's a good thing you started with being married, because...let's just say I know a few thousand guys who would kill to see you on OKCupid..."

I'm guessing you're joking 'cause I'm pretty sure middle-aged crazy cat ladies who weave Medieval armor whilst listening to Wagner aren't exactly in high demand on an online dating site.

I mean, c'mon, we're a dime a dozen....

message 33: by J. (new)

J. Madison (jrutgermadison) | 1 comments I'm J. Rutger Madison. I'm a software/web developer and part-time fantasy fiction writer. I just discovered the podcast and I'm really enjoying it. I'll start with the new book in June.

message 34: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher Hough (kristopherhough) | 1 comments Hey everyone, I'm a 22 year old aerospace engineering student going into my last year at Virginia Tech. I do a bit of homebrewing, listen to podcasts as I run, play tuba in the band on campus, and am kind of just being lazy this summer.