What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Sickly spoiled girl

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments Or boy. I would like something akin to The Secret Garden's character Colin. The girl is either sick or thinks she's sick and since everyone around her abides to her every wish, she grows spoiled and bitter. She rarely leaves the house and can be hypochondriac.

Then I would like a love story between her and another character (if possible, the opposite of this sickly person). But a friendship is ok too.

Doesn't have to be only about the romance. Can be contemporary or not. They can be children who grow older along the story or teenagers.

I know these were very thorough requests but I accept any suggestions to do with at least one aspect of this topic. Thank you very much!

message 2: by Rachel (last edited May 06, 2015 03:50AM) (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you could try My Sister's Keeper

It's about a girl, Kate, who has been very ill all her life. I don't remember if she has a spoiled attitude but her family definitely walk on eggshells around her because of her health.

She has a younger sister Anna who was conceived as a donor, so any time Kate needs an organ or blood donation, Anna has to supply it. Anna eventually gets fed up with the situation and sues her parents for the rights to her own body.

There's no romance as far as I recall but it has some elements of what you are looking for!

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 280 comments All I can think of is Heidi which has a similar storyline of an sickly little girl who is very spoiled but not nasty. Then she meets Heidi and they become friends.

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments Michele wrote: "All I can think of is Heidi which has a similar storyline of an sickly little girl who is very spoiled but not nasty. Then she meets Heidi and they become friends."

Rachel wrote: "I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you could try My Sister's Keeper

It's about a girl, Kate, who has been very ill all her life. I don't remember if she has..."

Hi Rachel. I've read My Sister's Keeper almost entirely but couldn't stand it. It was way too depressing for me. But thank you for your suggestion :)

Michele wrote: "All I can think of is Heidi which has a similar storyline of an sickly little girl who is very spoiled but not nasty. Then she meets Heidi and they become friends."

I know about Clara and Heidi but never actually got to read it (I watched some of the anime though). Thanks!

message 6: by Teri-K (last edited May 25, 2015 08:48AM) (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments Take a look at this list of Sick Heroes and Heroines and see if anything sounds good:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There's also the Popular Spoiled Heroine list: ttps://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/spoiled-...

And the Spoiled Heroine shelf: ttps://www.goodreads.com/genres/spoiled-heroine

They won't all fit, but you may find some good ideas to try. :)

message 7: by Rc (new)

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments Teri-k wrote: "Take a look at this list of Sick Heroes and Heroines and see if anything sounds good:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There's also the Popular Spoiled H..."

Thank you! I tried to check if there were similar threads or lists but failed miserably, I see... Again, thank you for getting them for me!

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments Rc wrote: "Maybe Hold Me Like a Breath?"

I read the summary and reviews. Perhaps not exactly what I had in mind but will check it out, thank you :)

message 10: by Rc (new)

Rc | 88 comments Laie wrote: "Rc wrote: "Maybe Hold Me Like a Breath?"

I read the summary and reviews. Perhaps not exactly what I had in mind but will check it out, thank you :)"

You're welcome! Early reviews were great but I see they're more mixed now. Sorry it wasn't what you had in mind :)

message 11: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 301 comments Laie wrote: Thank you! I tried to check if there were similar threads or lists but failed miserably, I see... Again, thank you for getting them for me!

You're welcome. :) I don't normally just throw lists at people, since I think most folks want actual recommendations of books, not just a long list of titles to sort through themselves. But you weren't getting many replies, and The Secret Garden is the only book I could think of like that. (Dickon is my favorite character. I had a little crush on him when I was young. lol)

Hopefully you'll find some good books among the lists to enjoy.

message 12: by BookWoman (new)

BookWoman | 125 comments Maybe a little younger than what you're looking for, bur perhaps Catherine Storr - Marianne Dreams?

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments BookWoman wrote: "Maybe a little younger than what you're looking for, bur perhaps Catherine Storr - Marianne Dreams?"

Thank you BookWoman! :)

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Ciara's Song: A Chronicle of Witch World has the male character being sickly. Warning, this is a blend of sci fi and fantasy, and is a sub-story in a much longer series (something approaching 30 to 40 books in the entire series) and is the first in a sub-trilogy. You CAN read it as a stand alone book/series, although some of the action and reasons will for various events will not be explained. But it's a good book/series. And the author has written a LOT of books (90+) over a very long span of time. She also wrote in many different genres, including some non-fiction. Er, in case you couldn't tell--I am a devoted fan of Andre Norton)

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Molly Harper has a series--well, 2 interlocking series--set in Half-Moon Hollow Kentucky. Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men is the second book in the first series--the other one kind of grew out of this series--and in it you have a hypochondriac VAMPIRE. These are humourous stories, and more cozy than horror. Still, the two series are great fun, so thought I'd throw them out there, just to give you something different to read. :o)

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valeriekemp) | 273 comments Everything, Everything is a good one that fits most of your criteria

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments These all seem very interesting, thank you both! :)

message 18: by J. (new)

J. (mamalaoshi) | 56 comments Rose-Garden Husband by Margaret Widdemer is a book about a lady who, at the request of his mother, marries an ill man so that she can take care of him as he dies. It was written more than a hundred years ago and is squeaky clean (not what you would expect with a synopsis like that if the book were written today). It's also domain free and you can download it for free from a bunch of sources. It's a sweet story. They are adults but similar in tone to The Secret Garden.

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments J. wrote: "Rose-Garden Husband by Margaret Widdemer is a book about a lady who, at the request of his mother, marries an ill man so that she can take care of him as he dies. It was written more than a hundred..."

That sounds interesting, thank you very much J.!