Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Favorite mental health

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps  | 5 comments What are your favorites? I'm a child psychologist particularly interested in contemporary, realistic ya fiction with characters in therapy or inpatient treatment to recommend to clients covering issues of depression, anxiety, PTSD, eating disorders, self injury, abuse, bullying, rape etc. thanks

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Crazy Crazy by Han Nolan
Everybody Sees the Ants Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King
The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I am reading Challenger Deep Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman right now which involves a boy with mental health issues

Goodreads has a list of books here https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps  | 5 comments Thanks, Heidi.
Glad you're still here:)

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Also for more mature readers Raw Blue Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar deals with the after math of sexual assault. North of Beautiful North of Beautiful by Justina Chen is one of my favorite recommendations for young women with body/self image issues.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Amy wrote: "Thanks, Heidi.
Glad you're still here:)"

Hahaha. You are most welcome. I work with younger clients on a daily basis so am always thinking of them and what they would think if they read heavier books like the ones I mentioned.

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps  | 5 comments Bibliotherapy got me through my teen years. I'm always looking for such books to recommend.

message 8: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Green | 3 comments Sorry this is an old post, but I'm new to the group so thought I'd add some suggestions :) Girl interrupted is one of my favourites, so is it's kind of a funny story. There's also go ask Alice, perks of being a wallflower, silver linings okay book (they're adults though) and pushing the limits (also a love story in that one). Hope that helps :)

message 9: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Green | 3 comments Sorry this is an old post, but I'm new to the group so thought I'd add some suggestions :) Girl interrupted is one of my favourites, so is it's kind of a funny story. There's also go ask Alice, perks of being a wallflower, silver linings okay book (they're adults though) and pushing the limits (also a love story in that one). Hope that helps :)

message 10: by Hayley (new)

message 12: by Liv (new)

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps  | 5 comments Liv, I can't see the titles/authors from my iPad. Thanks for posting them.

message 14: by Louise (new)

Louise Parnell | 2 comments Escape by June Oldham, oldie but a goodie
Escape