Small Government Book Fan Club discussion

Neil Gaiman
This topic is about Neil Gaiman
General Book Discussions > Neil Gaiman leads authors stepping in to back Charlie Hebdo PEN award

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greyweather (last edited May 05, 2015 04:04PM) (new)

Greyweather | 308 comments http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...

"Neil Gaiman, Alison Bechdel and Art Spiegelman have stepped forward to host tables at Tuesday’s PEN gala in New York honouring the work of Charlie Hebdo, after writers including Peter Carey and Michael Ondaatje withdrew last week in protest."

Neil Gaiman is the author of, amongst many other books, Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances

Related: America’s Literary Elite Takes a Bold Stand Against Dead Journalists
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles...

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine (marina_fontaine) | 1445 comments Mod
Gaiman writes good stories and keeps them politics free (that I've seen so far.) That having been said, leftists are tripping over their hierarchy of victims. In a choice of leftist journalists killed by Islamists, a bunch of them sided with Islamists. Those who haven't, did the right thing. And both sides are getting PR.

message 3: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 308 comments Vlad wrote: "Hell, Gaiman wrote a tumblr post celebrating PC restrictions on free speech that was not "respectful"

http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/43..."

He doesn't talk about restricting free speech in that post, let alone support it. He mentions political correctness, in a way that makes it obvious he has no idea what it actually means.

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 254 comments These people do not understand that the speech that will be restricted is their own. How short sighted and blindly stupid.

message 5: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 308 comments Vlad wrote: "No, Gaiman is unequivocally talking about how genuinely great it is political correctness has stamped out jokes and speech he feels aren't sufficiently "respectful". That's as anti-free speech as it gets. "

Well I would say calling for ostracizing or jailing people for speech is as anti-free speech as it gets, and he does neither.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine (marina_fontaine) | 1445 comments Mod
And when you remember he's British and they actually have jail terms for hate speech offenses, that ain't bad.

However, he is giving PC police WAY too much benefit of the doubt. I wonder if that Tempest moron holding up his book as an example of what not to read has affected him any.

message 7: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 308 comments Masha wrote: "However, he is giving PC police WAY too much benefit of the doubt. I wonder if that Tempest moron holding up his book as an example of what not to read has affected him any. "

Nope!

However last year's shit-storm over Jonathan Ross did. I imagine the Charlie Hebdo massacre did as well.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane Baker | 75 comments Gaiman does write very well, and is a most amiable person. I met him once at a Mythcon. As far as I know, he does keep his politics out of his work, w/ the exception of a graphic novel he once did using his character Death, urging people to get tested for AIDS.

I actually respected that. This was during the heyday before they found the cocktail of drugs that treated the disease, and people were afraid to get tested.