Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > New Adult Adventure Fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Ward (audreytaylorward) | 3 comments It's possible I've smashed together two unrelated genres, but that's why I need beta readers to help me out!

My finished manuscript is called It was Lauren (working title) and is the first in a planned series of three.

Quick (kinda) synopsis:
Lauren Palmer, a twenty-year-old war refugee, has been piecing her life back together ever since its destruction the night of the Final Purge, ten years ago. Her family’s whereabouts unknown, she’s been living in a makeshift campsite deep in the woods of North Carolina, far from the regime now lording over the cities of the old United States. She has a new family now, fellow refugees banded together to make a life out of nothing, and she almost dares to hope there can be better days ahead... and then he arrives.

Max Larsen, Lauren’s childhood best friend who disappeared from their neighborhood ten years ago – mere months before the Final Purge began—stumbles into Lauren’s camp, lost and beaten to a pulp, with no recollection of who he is or how he got there – and with no memories of Lauren.

As they grow closer and a rebellion against the regime surges forward in the south, Lauren works to unravel Max’s mysterious reappearance, and the circumstances surrounding why he vanished in the first place. What she discovers will plunge her into an insidious world of secrets and deception, challenging everything she thought she knew about Max and the events of that night so many years ago.

Can't deny it -- it's clocking in right now at a staggering ~151k! I know, I know, a major clunker. This is after I edited it down from 176,000!

As you can tell, I need some fresh eyes on this baby to tell me what can be sliced and what adds to my plot/character development.

If you're interested, know that there is no time limit (I'm still tweaking and writing and in no rush to publish something that isn't ready) and I will be thankful for any feedback, even if it's just the first half or a few chapters. I know it'd be quite a commitment to read the whole thing! Feel free to reach me by email at audrey.taylor.ward@gmail.com

Thank you so much in advance!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Audrey, I am an editor, and your story looks intriguing. Please take a look at my website and see what you think...

http://its-your-story.weebly.com/

Thank you,
Jim Dodds

message 3: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Ward (audreytaylorward) | 3 comments Jim, thank you! I will absolutely check out your website and be in touch.

message 4: by Sio (new)

Sio | 5 comments Hi Audrey!

This sounds really awesome and I'd love to take a look at it! I sent you an email just now. Let me know if you need more betas!

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (a_hoffman79) Hi there, Audrey,

Though I can't commit to the whole thing, I would be more than happy to read the first few chapters and give you feedback re: characterization, plot, pacing, style, etc. If you're interested, feel free to email me at ahoffman1979 at gmail dot com.

Thanks!

Angela