Baylor Literary Society discussion

Summer Reading!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly K. (new)

Kelly K. | 62 comments Here's a thread where you can post about books you read or plan to read this summer! I hope everyone has a wonderful break, and we look forward to seeing you next semester.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann Iftikhar | 7 comments I finished reading The Bookseller yesterday. I liked it.

message 3: by Kelly K. (new)

Kelly K. | 62 comments Who's it by? :)

message 4: by Kelly K. (new)

Kelly K. | 62 comments Hey, all!

I just wanted to share a couple of books I've especially enjoyed.

If you like poetry, this collection by Mary Oliver is fantastic: New and Selected Poems, Vol. 1

And if you're into the classics, this sensation novel kept me on the edge of my seat: Lady Audley's Secret

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann Iftikhar | 7 comments I'm sorry Kelly, I thought I had replied back. The Bookseller I read was by Cynthia Swanson. The Bookseller

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Iftikhar | 7 comments Also I just recently read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August . I enjoyed it. It's plot is quite unique. Harry August dies but is always reborn and has the memories of his previous lives. I don't know what else to tell you without giving anything away but I was really impressed by the time traveling concepts the author came up with.

message 7: by Kelly K. (new)

Kelly K. | 62 comments Thanks for the update about the author, and the new recommendation sounds great, too! :)

message 8: by Becca (new)

Becca | 4 comments Hey :) Are y'all boycotting or reading Go Set a Watchman?

message 9: by Kelly K. (new)

Kelly K. | 62 comments Good question, and I'd love to hear other people's responses. I'm conflicted about reading it. From reviews I've read, it sounds like the kind of book that makes you grow, even if you are kicking and screaming along the way. I'll probably read it eventually, but maybe when the Gregory Peck movie is less vivid in my mind or when, like Jean Louise, I realize I just have to grow up.

message 10: by Trey (new)

Trey Woodrum | 1 comments i finished the pulse trilogy on a plane ride. Also my grandmother and step-mother are reading go set a watchman righ now and they like it so its on my book bucket list just not right now.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann Iftikhar | 7 comments If anyone is still worried about the elder abuse case involving Harpee Lee, you should know that the investigation came up clear. So no elder abuse involved. That said, I want to reread To Kill a Mockingbird and then read Go Set a Watchman so I can see the development that occurred between when Lee wrote GSaW and TKaM.