Short Story Connect discussion

FEATURED AUTHOR 2014 - 2016 > Featured Author Discussion - Carey Azzara - May 6-20

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DigiWriting (last edited May 05, 2015 08:43AM) (new)

DigiWriting | 523 comments Mod
Please join us on Wednesday, May 20, 2015, for a special discussion with author Carey Azzara!

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

If you have a question for Carey, please post it in this thread, where he will be discussing his writing and stories.

Remember - you can post questions here throughout the duration of the Featured Author Discussion at any time.

We are looking forward to the insightful questions and answers!

message 2: by DigiWriting (new)

Hi Carey!

Thanks for being our Featured Author this session; we are looking forward to a great discussion! We were wondering how you find inspiration for your characters. Do you ever base them off of people you know?

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 410 comments Hello Carey,

Who was your most challenging character to write? Any overall favorite character that you are attached to and why?

message 4: by Talia (new)

Talia Crockett  | 52 comments Hi Carey,

I am wondering about your editorial process. How many revisions do your stories generally go through? How long does this process take?

Talia

message 5: by Blue Moon (new)

Blue Moon Publishers (bluemoonpublishers) | 146 comments Mod
Hi Carey!

How do you select the titles for your books? Do they grow from your writing, or do you have the title in mind before you start to write?

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 410 comments Carey wrote: "Iesha (In east shade house at...) wrote: "Hello Carey,

Who was your most challenging character to write? Any overall favorite character that you are attached to and why?"

It was challenging to wr..."

I'll have to read one of Haley's Gift first to answer your question, but I loved the two you did sent me-Rachel's Whispers and Mowgli & the bear. They were written very well. I really enjoyed them too.

message 7: by DigiWriting (new)

Thanks Carey! What about the titles for your books and stories? Do you begin writing with a title in mind, or does it come to you along the way?

message 8: by DigiWriting (new)

Very interesting! Speaking of titles, is there one that you would especially recommend to a new reader of your stories?

message 9: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 69 comments Hi Carey,

Thanks for sending me "Rachel's Whispers" and "What's Worrying Will." I enjoyed them both very much. It's uplifting to read about good people. I also think it's more difficult to make good characters interesting, and you definitely succeed at that! I noticed you spoke about giving characters attributes and going from there. I find that interesting, as writers often start with a character's flaws. You also depict strong parent/children relationships in the stories. Do all or most of your stories tend that way, on the positive side of people?

message 10: by Glen (new)

Glen | 2 comments Hi Carey,

What attracted you to write about Mowgli? Are you a fan of other Jungle heroes like Tarzan, and Bomba, the Jungle Boy? What are your thoughts about the jungle genre?

message 11: by Glen (new)

Glen | 2 comments Carey wrote: "Glen wrote: "Hi Carey,

What attracted you to write about Mowgli? Are you a fan of other Jungle heroes like Tarzan, and Bomba, the Jungle Boy? What are your thoughts about the jungle genre?"

Hi Gl..."

I read all of the Tarzan books. It's a genre you don't see much anymore, so I was just wondering.

message 12: by DigiWriting (new)

Hi Carey,

What genres of books do you enjoy reading? Do you read the same styles as those in which you write?

message 13: by Blue Moon (new)

Thanks, Carey!

We were wondering if you have any writing quirks or habits that you wouldn't mind sharing with the group!

message 14: by Talia (new)

Talia Crockett  | 52 comments Hi Carey,

Thanks for your answer! I have another question: how do you get started with your writing? Do you create a plot outline, or just let your ideas flow? Do you have a writing routine that you find particularly helpful?

message 15: by Adam (new)

Adam Mawer | 66 comments Hi Carey,

I have a few questions for you:

In your opinion, what is the best way to react to a negative review?

Can you identify a time when you experienced a serious bout of writer’s block? What
did you do to overcome it?

message 16: by DigiWriting (new)

Is there anything you have read recently that you would especially recommend?

message 17: by Blue Moon (new)

Scheduling can be a great strategy! How long does it generally take you to complete a story?

message 18: by Talia (new)

Talia Crockett  | 52 comments Thanks Carey! A final question: do you find social media to be an effective promotional tool? Do you post often? Where can we follow you?

message 19: by DigiWriting (new)

Thank you so much for answering all of our questions today, Carey! We very much enjoyed having you as our featured author, and your thoughtful and detailed answers were appreciated. Hope to see you around the group!