The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > One Book for Earth

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 2 comments Alright so I was thinking of the 1001 books to read list and I was thinking what if we could only choose one book? So imagine that aliens have made contact with Earth and asked for one book to be teleported to them, one book that represents, and sums up, humanity and life on Earth, and that represents our highest achievement in literature. What book would you send them?

message 2: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn | 164 comments I've been stewing over this question!

It's almost impossible to qualify one single book as "the" book. So many things have to be taken into consideration: time, culture, universality, not to mention an accurate representation of all "humanity and life on Earth".

Props to you for coming up with such a stumper!

I really want to go for the comical route and suggest a Tale of the Body Snatchers or Invaders From Mars, ha ha.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 293 comments My first thought was something that is a sweeping history of us ... something that would explain who we are. First thought Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation," although that is only a piece of our history. But something like that.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 293 comments My first thought is for a book that is a broad overview of who we are and my first thought was Tom Brokaw's "The Best Generation," although that is not sweeping enough.

message 5: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 2 comments Tabitha - LOL, the aliens would hopefully have a good sense of humour, I think Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be good too. Earth - mostly harmless.

Pamela - Yeah I like your idea, although as a history student I'm quite critical of macrohistory, but maybe in this circumstance a 'big history' book might come in handy, although personally I still think I'd prefer to send a novel (I'm a terrible historian for saying that).