Little Black Lies Little Black Lies discussion

Little Black Lies

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (last edited May 05, 2015 06:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tanya ***SPOILER ALERT***

I thought this book was excellent. It was a real puzzle and very haunting. I suspected that Ben was the one taking the missing boys (not Archie or Peter) so I wasn't surprised to find out that that was the case. I am disappointed that Rachel found out about this in the end, and made the decision to look the other way. It really cemented the dislike I had for her character. What were your feelings on this?

Sandy Tanya wrote: "***SPOILER ALERT***

I thought this book was excellent. It was a real puzzle and very haunting. I suspected that Ben was the one taking the missing boys (not Archie or Peter) so I wasn't surpris..."

Hi. That was my question about the very last sentence in the book. So you think he took the child off the beach & took him home with his own son? I never liked Ben, he seemed so removed from what was going on around him, but I was shocked to read that & what it implied.

message 3: by Tanya (last edited May 05, 2015 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tanya I am not sure why the police wouldn't have looked at him. They were quick to jump to the conclusion that Catrin had kidnapped and killed those two missing boys. A big part of that was due to when the children started going missing (shortly after her boys died) and they had a striking resemblance to her dead sons. If it wasn't her, the obvious next suspect was Ben. He just seemed to deal with his grief a little too well. It made sense that he had turned in to a monster who took these young boys and eventually disposed of them. If you remember, Jimmy was found on the wrecked ship in the same clothes he was last seen in and with a toy rabbit that had belonged to Catrin and Ben's son.

I am not sure Rachel's reasoning for not reporting him to the authorities. Was she still in love with him? Was it guilt because she knows she is responsible for his son's deaths and therefore is partly to blame for the monster he has become as a result of his grief? No matter her reasons, I liked her character even less when I learned she was going to just ignore what she saw.

Sandy I never got her. I softened a bit when I got to her part of the novel & saw how miserable her life was married to a man she didn't love. But I couldn't forgive her for not loving her own son. As for not telling on Ben, maybe it's part of that whole denial thing when you can't believe someone you know (and love) could be the boogie man.
Either way, thanks so much for your thoughts, Tanya. It was just one of those niggling little things that bugged me & your input has cleared it up. Cheers!

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan Marie I think the police didn't look at him because Catrin was so easy to suspect. The Crazy Grieving Female. She was rude, curt, cutting people out of her life. It's easy to think the worst of people who make you uncomfortable.

Ben, on the other hand, was walking around as the Saintly Doctor.

Rachel probably just didn't want the trouble after everything. She'd just been 'forgiven', after all.

Matt Smith Tanya wrote: "I am not sure Rachel's reasoning for not reporting him to the authorities..."

I finished the book a few days ago and I've been wondering: did Rachel know all along that it was Ben? It seemed a little coincidental her being on that clifftop as Ben's boat comes in. (Although Rachel says it's her annual pilgrimage to where Catrin's boys died). It makes me wonder if she's observed Ben on each anniversary, too.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan Marie I don't think so. Her own son went missing; if she'd KNOWN Ben was involved, even she would have said something.