All About Books discussion

The Bell Jar
This topic is about The Bell Jar
The 100 Best Novels > Week 85 - The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited May 05, 2015 01:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments "I’ve tried to picture my world and the people in it as seen through the distorting lens of a bell jar."

Book 85 in this series is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. It was first published in 1963 under the pseudonym Victoria Lucas, mostly to spare the feelings of Plath's mother and other real life characters in the novel. In 1966 it was re-published under her real name and quickly gained status of a modern classic.
Sylvia Plath's suicide February 1963, one month after the first release of 'The Bell Jar', strongly influenced the reception of her novel.

Read the article here

message 2: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ This is my recommendation book. Read it years ago and looking forward to reading it again.

Leslie | 15985 comments I've not read this one. Somehow it doesn't appeal to me (even though I know nothing about it!)...

Jenny, glad to see you! How are things going?

Pink I liked this when I read it years ago....not sure if I'd still enjoy it quite as much today, though I do love her poetry.

message 5: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Loved the article, Jenny. Thanks for posting it.

Colleen  | 349 comments I'm so glad I read this book last year. I really appreciate the novel and reading her famous work. Glad we've come along way with help and resources for people suffering from mental illness.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Pink wrote: "I liked this when I read it years ago....not sure if I'd still enjoy it quite as much today, though I do love her poetry."

Ditto to Pink. I liked the novel, but I think I prefer the poetry.

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Leslie wrote: "I've not read this one. Somehow it doesn't appeal to me (even though I know nothing about it!)...

Jenny, glad to see you! How are things going?"

Good Leslie, just living in trains and on planes at the minute, so sitting still on my couch at home for a few days seems paradise!! ;)

I remember really liking the book, though strangely, I have little recollection of it. I would like to dig deeper into her poetry. So far I've only read a few of her poems.

message 9: by Shirley (new) - added it

Shirley | 4177 comments I've not read this, but plan to as I own a copy of it.

message 10: by Alannah (last edited Jun 16, 2015 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11958 comments Mod
This is a great book, it was the first novel I studied in my Madness in Literature module in university last year. I loved how poetic it was.
I do have to admit that because I enjoyed this book so much, I think I may have judged Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen a little too harshly as I couldn't help but compare the two.

Leslie | 15985 comments This is one of the books I picked up at the library sale so hopefully I will get to it sometime reasonably soon...

Albert | 0 comments This was a novel I had been meaning to read for years. Just never got around to it. I did recentlly read it and loved it. So disappointing that there wasn't more to follow.