LITTLE BOOK CLUB discussion

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
This topic is about American Gods
MAY/JUN | American Gods > American Gods!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caz (littlebookowl) (last edited May 04, 2015 09:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caz (littlebookowl) (littlebookowl) | 114 comments Mod
The winner for our May/June readalong is AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman!
We will be reading and discussing the book from the 1st May - 30th of June (I will be posting the discussion threads shortly).
The liveshow date will be announced towards the beginning of June, where I will also be looking for some hosts.

If you don't have a copy of the book yet, feel free to use my affiliate link through The Book Depository :D
All editions: http://www.bookdepository.com/search?...

Kayla (Heroic Pages) (heroicpages) I'm excited for this book.....I picked it up a year or so ago and started reading and then put it down for some reason. Can't wait to pick it up again.

message 3: by Sarye (new)

Sarye I never heard of this author is he good? I'm trying to decide if I invest on it or not. The blurb was kind of vague.

message 4: by Zoe (new) - added it

Zoe (zoemmaude) Neil Gaiman is amazing! He wrote Coraline and Stardust that have both been adapted into film, as well as Good Omens which he wrote with Terry Pratchett that has now some kind of cult status. The Ocean At The End of The Lane was also astounding!

message 5: by Sarye (last edited May 04, 2015 11:13PM) (new)

Sarye Zoe wrote: "Neil Gaiman is amazing! He wrote Coraline and Stardust that have both been adapted into film, as well as Good Omens which he wrote with Terry Pratchett that has now some kind of cult status. The Oc..."

Wow I guess I just found a big fan here :)
I liked Stardust, the idea of a star-person. I guess I'll give it a try!

message 6: by Akylina (new)

Akylina | 1 comments I'll try to join in this readalong too, since I love Neil Gaiman and I've been wanting to read 'American Gods' for such a long time. :)

message 7: by Mario (new) - added it

Mario (soldierrogers) | 1 comments I wanted to read this book for so long, and now I finally have a reason to. Great choice! :)

Katie (thereaderkatie) | 1 comments I've decided to join in this month which will be my first readalong! (And I used your affiliate link ;)) I've heard a lot of good things about Neil Gaiman, and I know he both worked closely and was friends with Terry Pratchett who I enjoyed reading. This readalong is happening while I'll be having my finals but I'm pretty sure this book will be a lovely break from renaissance and reformation litterature!

message 9: by J. (last edited May 05, 2015 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Bebbington (jpbebbington) Neil Gaiman is amazing. My favourite has to be his collaboration with Sir Terry. Good Omens is probably one of the best books to come from the double denim infested depths of the 1990s.

American Gods is a masterpiece. It's quite similar to Pratchett's Small Gods (The best fantasy book written in the last half of the 20th century, if you didn't already know) but with the gods of this world instead of the Disc. It's a lot of fun and a work of true genius.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone - excluding Gaiman, of course - who knows or loves this book as much as I.

message 10: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks) (alffbooks) | 440 comments I haven't read anything By Neil Gaiman yet, so I will participate in this readalong to get to know a bit about his writings! :D

Kayla (Heroic Pages) (heroicpages) If there are any Doctor Who fans, Neil Gaiman wrote two episodes, "The Doctor's Wife" and "A Nightmare in Silver"

Priya Oh this book was on my summer tbr anyway! So excited to read it!! Love Gaiman! I'll not be able to read it in May cuz FINALS...ugh! But in June, it's ON! :D

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Oh, I'd love to read this! I've heard a lot about this Neil Gaiman.

Christina | 1 comments I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS! I've read Stardust and it remains one of my favourite books (and movies) of ALL TIME. Brilliant excuse to start a new Gaiman book. :D

message 15: by Camila (new)

Camila Finally :) I've been meaning to read this book for sooo long

message 16: by Marya (new)

Marya May | 5 comments It will be my first Neil Gaiman's book! And I am so exited to read it. Finally I will read his book

Cassandra | 1 comments I actually just finished reading this book! I can't wait to see what everyone else thinks of it

Alexis U (axisinspired) | 15 comments I really love Neil Gaiman's works, including American Gods, but fair warning: This book is not for everybody. It's oddly paced, occasionally very graphic, and overall can be tough/slow to get through. It's also unlike anything else he's written.

Like I said, I loved it, but I know so many people who absolutely hated this book and won't read anything else by him, which is just sad because he's really great.

message 19: by Sarye (new)

Sarye Alexis wrote: "I really love Neil Gaiman's works, including American Gods, but fair warning: This book is not for everybody. It's oddly paced, occasionally very graphic, and overall can be tough/slow to get throu..."

Would you describe it as unnecessarily lengthy?

Alexis U (axisinspired) | 15 comments Sarah wrote: "Alexis wrote: "I really love Neil Gaiman's works, including American Gods, but fair warning: This book is not for everybody. It's oddly paced, occasionally very graphic, and overall can be tough/sl..."

It's not the length, but it reads like a collection of interconnected short stories instead of a cohesive novel, which makes it feel much, much longer.

message 21: by Sarye (new)

Sarye Alexis wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Alexis wrote: "I really love Neil Gaiman's works, including American Gods, but fair warning: This book is not for everybody. It's oddly paced, occasionally very graphic, and overall c..."

I see. Still looks interesting though.

message 22: by Tracie (new) - added it

Tracie  (tracienicole22) I am so excited to read this. One of my college professors loves Gaiman so I've been wanting to give his books a try too. This is my first!

Connie (hoot reads books) (connieng) I bought American Gods two years ago but I never found an opportunity to read it and now I do! I can't wait to read this novel and join in on the discussions with everyone! I read Gaiman's Stardust and The Ocean at the End of the Lane and loved both stories, so I'm really excited to get into this one!

message 24: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie (jmebarrett) | 1 comments Gaiman is my favorite author! I am excited for this to be my first read along. American God's has been sitting on my shelf for far too long and I can't wait to start reading!

message 25: by nicole p (new) - added it

nicole p (nickyyy777) | 1 comments interesting beginning and synopsis. can't wait to continue :)

Louie (rmutt1914) The opening scene is a killer.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Coolington | 2 comments Kayla wrote: "If there are any Doctor Who fans, Neil Gaiman wrote two episodes, "The Doctor's Wife" and "A Nightmare in Silver""

I am a huge Dr. Who fan! I thought I recognized the name but wasn't sure where from. Make sense now...

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Coolington | 2 comments I've purchased my copy... waiting for it to arrive. Will have to crack it open early on because I can see it taking me a while to get through. I am looking forward to it, what a great topic!

Molly (mollystoddart) This is one of my most favorite books ... Going to re-read along!

message 30: by Kas (new) - added it

Kas (kasm) | 6 comments I actually put this book on my WishList after a Buzzfeed article recommended it to fans of Supernatural. Seeing it announced as the book choice pushed me to join this group!

I'm off to purchase and begin reading soon!

message 31: by Alice (new)

Alice (girlofyarn) I'm excited about this!!! I have had American Gods on my nook for so long and just haven't gotten around to starting it yet. Of course, my nook is completely dead soooo I will have to dig out the charger and get that together before I can start. Haha

message 32: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer (jenwt43) | 1 comments I have this book on my shelf, waiting to be read! I've never done a read-a-long before, but I will join in this time. :)

message 33: by Remy (new) - added it

Remy Blas (remyblas) I've been wanting to read this for a long time, and I finally bought it a couple of weeks ago. This seems like a great opportunity to start reading it.

message 34: by Kas (new) - added it

Kas (kasm) | 6 comments I have the 10th Anniversary Edition. Is that okay? It says it may be a bit different from the other.

message 35: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I'm not sure I'll be able to read this book =( I'm waiting for my online library to have a copy.

Rachael Hobson (bostonbookbitty) | 33 comments Apparently American gods is super popular at my library. Just got it today! I can't wait to finally read it

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I got it! And with plenty of time to read it for this group! Yay!! Homework first and then I'm going to start it later on tonight!

Kayla (Heroic Pages) (heroicpages) sigh.....I did not finish this book. In fact I didn't pick it up at all in June. I just wasn't feeling it. The book is a bit daunting.