Action Books of Action (Fantasy & Sci-fi) discussion

Recommendations > Recommended Smart Action/Sci-Fi Novels

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Naughton | 3 comments After discovering the Vorkosigan Saga, Snow Crash, Old Man's War The Culture Series, A Song Called Youth, The Expanse Trilogy, Fallen Dragon, The Hyperion books and rereading The Forever War I'm trying to find more Science Fiction novels that combine exciting action with smart/smartly executed story telling. Now to clear things up, by "action" I don't necessarily mean Military Sci-Fi or Space Opera(although those shouldn't be excluded), but I'd like more variety like cyberpunk or present based science fiction.

message 2: by Harv (new)

Harv | 1 comments You may want to check out the Kovacs trilogy by Richard Morgan. Begins with Altered Carbon.

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Naughton | 3 comments I've read Altered Carbon. Might reread it at somepoint.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Wright | 40 comments Mod
If you don't mind the web serial format, Worm has plenty of action, and the characters tend to make smart decisions.

And, the characters that rise to the top aren't necessarily the superstrength/invulnerable types. It's a crazy read.

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire Horner | 7 comments I don't know if it is "smart action" but I found out about this author, RoChe Montoya and grabbed a download of the book The 2nd Realm The 2nd Realm (The 2nd Realm Trilogy Book 1) by RoChe Montoya . I read some reviews and it sounds like some action packed stuff. I may just make it one of my next reads, now that I am talking about it.

message 6: by Tom (new)

You'll have to let me know how it goes when you're done...

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire Horner | 7 comments I will, I"ll let everyone here know.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire Horner | 7 comments Tom wrote: "You'll have to let me know how it goes when you're done..."

Tom my friend, The 2nd Realm was awesome. I can't wait for the next book. It is only about 100 pages and once I got into it, it took off. You get the whole story, and good character development, but I think the authors sacrificed a little story telling for so much action, but this is only my first time through it, yes I will read it again. Check out my review if you'd like.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Thanks, I'll put it on my TBR list. Looks like you finished it pretty quick, too, which is a bonus.

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire Horner | 7 comments Yeah, it wasn't too long but when it got going, I just had to know what happens next.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGill | 2 comments PLENTY of action. Fun sci-fi/fantasy middle-grade novel.

The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1) by Kevin McGill

Nick must save a race of Merfolk, but a few things stand in his way. First, Merfolk live on the Moon. Second, they're tens of thousands of years in the past. Third, his parents grounded him for blowing up the shed, again.

Join Nikolas and his motley crew of friends as they time travel from an apocalyptic Earth to a fantastic moon thousands of years in the past. Nikolas will hear the call of a mysterious woman, battle evil drones, fly malfunctioning hover trucks, run from other-worldly monsters, witness the blue and yellow fire of blood-thirsty water dragons, and travel through space and time, as he seeks to save the Merfolk of the Eynclaene coast.

This middle-grade fantasy adventure is perfect for readers between the ages of 9 and 16.

message 12: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Renolds | 5 comments Hell yeah Kevin, I have that one marked as to read, it looks interesting.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGill | 2 comments Sweet. Its a fun, crazy adventure. Hope you enjoy. Tanya wrote: "Hell yeah Kevin, I have that one marked as to read, it looks interesting."

Action Books of Action (Fantasy & Sci-fi)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (other topics)
The 2nd Realm (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

RoChe Montoya (other topics)