That's Normal's Boozy Book Club discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train > Girl on the Train Main Discussion (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Beth (bethorne) | 310 comments Mod
GET YOUR TALK ON.

HEY GUYS what did you think of The Girl on the Train? We are chatting about it on twitter Thursday, May 28 at 10pm EST.

Anne | 24 comments Mod
It was interesting and kept my attention for sure, but I don't really get what all the hype was about. It was what I would expect from a mystery/thriller type book, but I'm not sure that there was anything that made this stand apart from other similar books for me.

Courtney (chughesabook) | 5 comments I liked it! I thought it was really good, and I loved the twist - didn't see that coming at all. I thought it was kind of interesting to have a totally unreliable (read: blackout drunk!) narrator. That was kind of different and I like how it contributed to the story. It wasn't a Gone Girl, but it was entertaining!

Anne | 24 comments Mod
Courtney wrote: "I liked it! I thought it was really good, and I loved the twist - didn't see that coming at all. I thought it was kind of interesting to have a totally unreliable (read: blackout drunk!) narrator. ..."

Oooh! The unreliable narrator was one of my favorite things about this book!

Anne wrote: "Courtney wrote: "I liked it! I thought it was really good, and I loved the twist - didn't see that coming at all. I thought it was kind of interesting to have a totally unreliable (read: blackout d..."

I LIVE for unreliable narrators!

message 7: by Stella (new)

Stella | 1 comments Yes the narrator was an awesome character! However the end fell flat for me. I even read this while traveling by train in England and Europe. It was quick and easy but sort of a forgettable read for me.

Annette Giordano | 1 comments I liked that the author dribbled details about the truth of the matter throughout the plot. Her methods let the readers feel as if our clarity was improving as Rachel's recollections were also improving.

The one thing I didn't get were all of the references to Rachel's weight. Those seemed to come out of the blue, and I felt it was just...eh, unnecessary. We know she's a mess. It almost felt like adding insult to injury to make her not only sad, alcoholic and bloated from it, and then also fat from the perspective of the others.

But it was also interesting how none of the characters really ended up being a protagonist. They all had serious flaws. Some obviously worse than others, but they were all crazy.

message 9: by B (new)

B (bwheat) | 12 comments What are the books for June?