The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Apex (Nexus, #3)
This topic is about Apex
Nexus > Apex: General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Since our discussion leader is slacking, I guess I'll make this thread.

So, who else is in?

message 2: by Sky (new) - added it

Sky | 1291 comments Oh, I guess that's me/ Was waiting to get my copy delivered at 9pm to create the threads...Geeze, it's still the 4th :P

I am in, obviously.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, but this thread is normally created a few days early..

message 4: by Sky (new) - added it

Sky | 1291 comments Gotcha...I am a discussion leader n00b :)

message 5: by Sky (new) - added it

Sky | 1291 comments Hey guys, so far my Kindle version doesn't have real page #s, the chapters aren't numbered, and there is no look inside the book. I'll count the many small chapters and make section headings in the mornin...Also sometimes it seems real page #s and x-ray take a while to appear?

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol. There go all my usual tricks. Angry Robot still hasn't fixed my copy of Rebirths of Tao. Or maybe it's Amazon's fault at this point.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Math to the rescue! Of course it helps that there are almost exactly 10,000 "locations" So skip to location 2000, 4000, etc and find the nearest chapter. 5 sections. Done!

message 8: by Sky (new) - added it

Sky | 1291 comments Hah! Great idea! Thanks Rob :)

message 9: by Sky (new) - added it

Sky | 1291 comments Did you have to count chapters by hand? Mine are not numbered.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

No. They have numbers (at least on web version). I can add title if necessary though. I had started noting them at first but then I saw the chapter numbers.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Yeah, think I'm at a good stopping point in House of Chains to start this bad mammajamma tonight.

Excited!

message 12: by Robyn (last edited May 05, 2015 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robyn | 150 comments Oh my god, I have so many books to read. This one arrived on my Kindle app this morning, so......better start it to(o).

message 13: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robyn wrote: "Oh my god, I have so many books to read. This one arrived on my Kindle app this morning, so......better start it to."

haha!

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

My kindle version has chapter numbers, and a table of contents.

Maybe they updated it?

Robyn | 150 comments I downloaded mine about an hour ago, and it doesn't. I might check and see if there is an updated version...

message 16: by Sky (new) - added it

Sky | 1291 comments It's weird - Things like page #s, TOC, X-Ray don't always seem to be there immediately. I am not sure if the kindle pulls down a new book of if the kidnle does something funny to process it (eg, generate indexes, make real page #s match TOC for different resolutions/kindles) or what - but usually it shows up some hours to days later. I've seen it for the same book on both my e-ink and DX versions of the kindle.

message 17: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm using the Kindle app on Android. Maybe that's the difference?

message 18: by Sky (last edited May 05, 2015 07:32PM) (new) - added it

Sky | 1291 comments Huh - so I tried the Kindle cloud reader, Kindle for PC, and the android kindle app. In all cases "show page #s" and "table of contents" are greyed out in the menu.

They can all show a fake TOC the app seems to generate by showing all the chapter titles, and the chapters are numbered when you are viewing the first page of the chapter but not in the auto-generated TOC.

Shoddy ebook creation! :P

message 19: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh. Yeah, I don't have page numbers. And I only see the chapter numbers just above the chapter title names. That was what I had meant.

This is two eBooks in a row by Angry Robot I'm less than impressed with.