Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's April Reads

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (last edited May 04, 2015 04:07PM) (new)

Dan in AZ | 2647 comments 1. December 6, Martin Cruz Smith. Day before Pearl Harbor finds Harry Niles, a part Japanese, part American con man, caught up in Japan's plans to bomb the fleet. Can he have an effect on events? 4
2. What If? Randall Munroe. A good coffee table type book if you're interested in Math/Science answers to absurd questions. Ranged from really interesting to...not so. Strickly a skimmer for me because some of the math and equations were overwhelming. Not a math guy. 4Minus
3. The Innocence Game, Michael Harvey. Three journalism students search for the guilty party in a 14 year old murder of a child. They find lots of interest, but there are several competing agendas that add some twists and turns. 4
4. The Dead Key, D.M. Pulley. 20 years ago a Cleveland bank closed. Now our heroine is mapping the building for an architectural firm and begins to uncover some very interesting facts that lead to answers to old questions and new problems for her. 4
5. Brilliance, Marcus Sakey. People with special gifts aren't appreciated by everyone, especially the agency tasked with controlling them. There's a terrorist leader, an enclave dedicated to the gifted, and an agent trying to kill the leader. But (there's almost always a but) everything is not as it seems. A bit formula but entertaining. Book 1 of 3. 4
6. Feng Shui Detective, Nury Vittachi. Feng Shui master, Wong, and his Aussie/American intern, Joyce, solve several crimes using a combination of Feng Shui and modern teen stuff. Pretty humorous. 4

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I think I have December 6 on my Kindle. Pretty good month!

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2994 comments I enjoyed Dec 6th. The set up made for an interesting book.

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Dan you always have intriguing reads that I must add to my never ending tbr pile!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Great month! December 6th sounds really interesting.

The second Brilliance book for me was unexpectedly better than the first.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14396 comments Another reminder to get to Brilliance soon, good month, Dan!

message 7: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments Good month Dan. Just got home from Alaska, will add my list later today

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Dan, the innocence game looks interesting.

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2647 comments The Innocence Game is loosely based on the Innocence Project run from the Northwestern University School of Journalism that investigates death penalty cases to see if there's a possibility of convictions being overturned.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments I've looked at the Feng Shui Detective several times, but never gotten it. Next time I think I'll try it :)

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14396 comments That's interesting, Dan!
Dan in AZ wrote: "The Innocence Game is loosely based on the Innocence Project run from the Northwestern University School of Journalism that investigates death penalty cases to see if there's a possibility ofcconvictions being overturned.."

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7883 comments Interesting selection, Dan!