Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Odd copyright notice in book synopses, one edition only

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited May 04, 2015 01:55PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I think the book edition at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... should have a description/synopsis matching the other editions. There's a strange copyright notice vandalizing just that edition's description/synopsis. Usually works don't quote the copyright notices in the book description field.

(Fair warning, there's some drama with this book making the blogosphere rounds; the copyright notice claims to even copyright the character names and was added post-drama, one name being presumably the at-birth legal name—well before book was published—of an involved party. I deliberately did not use add book/author link because of the drama.)

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 23234 comments Copied proper description from other edition and made default.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott | 23234 comments Oh boy... one of the other editions had a rant in the description by the author about how she is a literary genius and a reviewer tried to ruin her... removed that as well.

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited May 05, 2015 07:56AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Scott wrote: "Oh boy... one of the other editions had a rant in the description by the author about how she is a literary genius and a reviewer tried to ruin her... removed that as well."

Thanks. *sigh* this Black Balled could be non-stop drama based on what I'm seeing on my feeds on various sites). Don't know right or wrong of either side — but the book data isn't the place to play it out and certainly not by vandalizing the book synopsis field.

Probably if keeps getting changed a librarian note, flagging changes or even asking Rivka/staff about might be needed.

Damn drama marketing.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14198 comments Just curious, is the synopsis that is there now really what the book is about?

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 23234 comments Ha, just looked at it again and realized that "literary genius" bit is actually part of the synopsis. Sometimes it is hard to tell fiction from reality...

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14198 comments Yeah, it looks as if someone's settling scores :)

message 8: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited May 05, 2015 05:29PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) lethe wrote: "Just curious, is the synopsis that is there now really what the book is about?"

I think so. It isn't one I've read but seems to be what book is about (I had enough trouble not seeing stuff about it well before the publish date then recently a whole other flood of activity). For some reason the copyright bit irritated me so I posted here (I dislike book synopses that aren't.)