Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > "The Magicians" TV series

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2016 06:19PM) (new)

US cable channel SyFy has ordered 12 episodes based on Grossman's novel The Magicians. (From Deadline.)

message 2: by Leo (new)

Leo (rahiensorei) | 78 comments The casting choices are pretty fun - I would have lost it if they'd gotten Paul Dano to play Q, he fit the bill perfectly.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Syfy now has a trailer for its upcoming series based on Grossman's popular The Magicians available: trailer @ buzzfeed.

(Show isn't schedule to run until 2016.)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

SyFy show Trailer for The Magicians TV series from NY Comic-Con (via Variety).

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 09, 2015 09:19AM) (new)

For those in the US, SyFy plans to 'sneak peak' the first episode next week, Weds 12/16 in the 10pm ET timeslot. The series begins early 2016. (jan 25.)

message 6: by Tani (new)

Tani | 52 comments I see that the first episode of this is up on the Syfy website. Has anyone watched it? Thoughts?

I watched the trailer, and wasn't very intrigued, but trailers can be misleading.

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 908 comments I watched the first episode when SyFy aired it a week or so ago. I wasn't impressed. But I may tune in for the next episode.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Kite | 55 comments I wish someone would make a DVD of The Magician. It was a really cool show with Bill Bixby who played a magician who also solved crimes. Heard he learned to do much of his own magic and there was nothing Bixby was in that was bad.

message 9: by Tani (new)

Tani | 52 comments Randy wrote: "I watched the first episode when SyFy aired it a week or so ago. I wasn't impressed. But I may tune in for the next episode."

I thought that the trailer made it look like an overly dramatic college drama with too much sex and drugs, and not enough plot. Plus some magic. That's why I wanted to get some opinions before I considered watching.

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (esqinc) The first episode was kinda fun, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. I think it might just be that it just kind of drops off and doesn't feel like an episodic story at all and merely a single chapter in a larger story. Series like that are always sort of meh for me because I have to wait until the entire series is out and marathon it or else lose track of where I am in the story week-to-week.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 19, 2016 06:58PM) (new)

Christopher wrote: "Tmerely a single chapter in a larger story. Series like that are always sort of meh for me because I have to wait until the entire series is out and marathon it or else lose track of where I am in the story week-to-week. ..."

That's a serial style TV that seems to be getting more popular these days. Game of Thrones, The Expanse, The Magicians, Orphan Black, The 100, Heroes Reborn all seem to have completely ditched the old fashion idea of something — even if not everything — getting wrapped up at the end of an hour.

(As opposed to the ancient style of hitting the reset button at the end of each episode, and the merely old style of running a story arc plot element through the season but still having the story of the week.)

I usually just let them accumulate on the DVR, and while I may not collect an entire season, at least watch them in batches to minimize the "who is that? and what is he doing?" refresh. Because the "Previously on...." 10-second summary just doesn't cut it. On occasion I've just given up and decided to wait for the DVDs. (I suppose the more modern equivalent is to wait for them to show up on Netflix or whatever.)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm finding that I enjoy The Magicians as a TV series a lot more than I enjoyed the book (I only read the first.) Unless my memory is getting even worse than usual, they seem to have put in material that wasn't in the (first) book (not sure whether they invented it or folded forward from later volumes in the series.)

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments I only read the first book, too. It's been a while, but it doesn't seem to be following it very closely. That has to be the worst school in the world, though. The kids run wild causing all sorts of havoc & the staff all seem oblivious.

message 14: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Carlson (rodneycarlson) | 8 comments They are doing a great job with this series and I've become a fan. I am going to have to get the books.

message 15: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 452 comments I find Quentin annoying and yet I find myself rooting for him. Loved his response to that abrasive (yet fantastic) professor in this last episode. I think he has magical reserves that he hasn't even touched!

On the other hand, Julia could fall off the face of the planet, and I wouldn't miss her. SOOOO annoying. Yet the magic as drug angle is good. She really plays the addict well!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments My family is on the fence about this series. My daughter & I both read the first book & the departures aren't welcome. My wife hasn't, but even she isn't thrilled. There's just enough there to keep us coming back, but it's a tenuous hold, at best.

message 17: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Carlson (rodneycarlson) | 8 comments Kivrin wrote: "I find Quentin annoying and yet I find myself rooting for him. Loved his response to that abrasive (yet fantastic) professor in this last episode. I think he has magical reserves that he hasn't eve..."

What I like about Quentin is that he's annoying. The misunderstood misfit that you can't help but root for.

I would miss Julia, she adds a nice counterbalance to the plot. I think the story needs someone that's perpetually played.

I'm concerned that they are going to pull Kady. They need someone on the "inside" to be the reluctant enemy.

message 18: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 452 comments Quentin is one of those people I want to shake! Look around you, idiot! You've got what you've always wanted, and you're STILL not happy? I liked his "confession" that turned him into a goose.

I keep waiting for Julia's storyline to cross over more with the Brakebills' plot. Shouldn't the faculty at the school be more worried about Marina's theft and power?

In fact, the faculty is almost a throwaway element in the show. Except for the latest prof in the Arctic. HE was awesome.

I also find the Fillory references confusing and unnecessary. I understand it is a plot point (Haven't read the books, but I've read a little on the web), but for me, it needs lots of explaining.

message 19: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Carlson (rodneycarlson) | 8 comments Kivrin wrote: "Except for the latest prof in the Arctic. HE was awesome."

He had a lot of character. I enjoyed when Quentin wrote that out with the nails.

I haven't read the books either, but I think the Fillory thing connects the monster somehow. Maybe one of the original kids.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, now that SyFy's The Magicians has wrapped up its 1st season, I think it did a really great job (like it way better than the book.)

I am a little miffed they left it on such a cliffhanger, given it will be 2017 before we see the 2nd season.

On a wholly trivial note, I liked the way they left the profanity in (I'm guessing the DVDs will skip the bleeping.) I hope this is catching for other SyFy original shows.

message 21: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 452 comments That was a dark, dark finale! I was in shock (haven't read the books)!

I thought Julia had finally turned a corner, and she betrayed Quentin AGAIN!

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 12, 2016 07:33PM) (new)

Kivrin wrote: "That was a dark, dark finale! I was in shock (haven't read the books)! "

At this point, I don't think reading the books will help much. They took a few points from the books and then wrote their own spellbook.

message 23: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Carlson (rodneycarlson) | 8 comments I just read the first book. I enjoyed it, but it is not like the series. SyFy has done a great job with this series. Let's hope they keep the same writers. I am hooked on this show.

message 24: by Gaines (last edited Apr 12, 2016 03:50PM) (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 25 comments G33z3r wrote: "...seem to have completely ditched the old fashion idea of something — even if not everything — getting wrapped up at the end of an hour."

I kind of like this style. I don't mean the style of "The Magicians" per se; that show, to me, is a mixture of cheese, fluff, humour, genuinely cool magic, relationship drama, and sexual tension. It's okay, not great. My opinion.

But in terms of things not getting wrapped up at the end of an hour, but rather leaving watchers with a cliffhanger that leads into the next episode -- I like it :-)

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments Rodney wrote: "I just read the first book. I enjoyed it, but it is not like the series. SyFy has done a great job with this series. Let's hope they keep the same writers. I am hooked on this show."

I agree completely.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Kivrin wrote: "That was a dark, dark finale! I was in shock (haven't read the books)! (view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Gaines wrote: "in terms of things not getting wrapped up at the end of an hour, but rather leaving watchers with a cliffhanger that leads into the next episode -- I like it :-) .."

The alternative seems to be to turn every sci-fi/fantasy TV show into a police procedural :(

message 28: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Carlson (rodneycarlson) | 8 comments I Just finished the second book. It's a good read. Once again, some elements of it are similar to the series but plays out different and has a different feel. Hate the ending though.

message 29: by Frank (new)

Frank | 3 comments I watched the first episode of the TV series but when things popped up that I hadn't read in the books, I just recorded the other episodes to watch after finishing all three books. Now, my my wife (who hasn't read the books) and I are watching and I find myself frequently telling her "that wasn't in the books."

We have two more episodes to watch.

I remember listening to the commentary on the LOTR DVDs where they explained the decisions for some of the differences between the books and the movies. They made sense to me.

For The Magicians, I feel it's more like G33z3r said, "They took a few points from the books and then wrote their own spellbook."

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 28, 2018 07:22PM) (new)

The Magicians returns to SyFy this Wednesday for season 2.

Dang, I wanted to binge Season 1 again before that....

message 31: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 452 comments Just finished my rewatch yesterday. Can't wait for Wednesday!

message 32: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Carlson (rodneycarlson) | 8 comments Kivrin wrote: "Just finished my rewatch yesterday. Can't wait for Wednesday!"

I did as well, looking forward to tonight.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought the 2nd season of The Magicians had a terrific ending, tied up a lot of plot threads. In fact, if you stop watching at about the 35 minute mark, it almost feels like a satisfying finale. (view spoiler)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The Magicians, whose 3rd season is currently running, has been renewed for 4th season by SyFy.

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments We're enjoying it. I read the first book, but wasn't that taken with it. It was good, but when the TV show came on with all its differences, I decided I'd rather just watch it.

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 01, 2018 06:37AM) (new)

Jim wrote: "We're enjoying it. I read the first book, but wasn't that taken with it. It was good, but when the TV show came on with all its differences, I decided I'd rather just watch it."

I had a similar experience. Didn't care for the Grossman novel (wasn't planning on reading beyond the 1st book), but did like the TV series enough to stick with it. It can be uneven from week to week, but on the whole I've found it entertaining.

message 37: by Robin P (new)

Robin P I liked the books a lot, and I'm in the camp of "I love Quentin BECAUSE he's annoying". That's how people are, we get a great life and we still whine. Plus he's young.

I did not like the TV series. I watched the first season and started the 2nd, but when it was clear they were doing a whole new story, I quit.

They made the characters older in order to have more sex. Alice is always wearing little-girl dresses in inappropriate settings. Penny was supposed to be a nerd, and on TV he is the cool guy. The emphasis seems to be on shock and blood.