Inspirational Quotes from Books discussion

Carpe Diem!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments A thread on which to post quotes about living life to the full.

“Be always resolute with the present hour. Every moment is of infinite value.” – Johann von Goethe

“See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15:16

"Be where you are, and do what you are doing." Shaker Proverb

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Qu'as-tu fait, toi que voilà,
Pleurant sans cesse?
Dis--qu'as-tu fait, toi que voilà,
De ta jeunesse?

--Paul Verlaine.

Which being translated is:
What have you done, you there,
Weeping all the time?
Tell me, what have you done, you there,
With your youth?

(I often want to quote this at young whiners who have youth, health, time and educational opportunities, as well as first-world lifestyles.)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments More things in this life are sacramental than we suppose.
Jade Woman

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.
(Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah)

message 5: by Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) (last edited Jul 19, 2015 04:48AM) (new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments I suppose that a desire to return to what seemed a happier era is present in all of us at different times and to varying degrees. But there is a quality of death in nostalgia. Perhaps a more wholesome approach is to look at the past as honestly as we can, to claim it as our own, and to realise that we always live in present moments. Therefore, we are not trapped into trying to relive our past.

--Barbara Howard

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments "You are a good boy, Masao. Meditate more."

"If only I could find the time."

"Stand still and very quietly. The time will find you."

Howard Fast, The Case Of The Poisoned Eclairs

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments "When an idea has hardened into consequences, it is too late to change it for another. That is why ideas should never be put into practice the moment you have them. They should be chewed like cud for twenty-four hours."

Elizabeth Goudge, Linnets and Valerians

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) A couple of good ones, Orinoco!

message 9: by Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) (last edited Jul 18, 2015 08:06AM) (new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Many people spend their lives waiting...for the kids to grow up, for a new job, for the right person in their lives...and forget to live. On that thought:

"Every day is good enough. Every day is filled with challenges and frustrations, amazingly beautiful easy moments and confusing, difficult puzzles. That's life! Don't wait for it to change!"
--Joan GregersonTuning In to Inner Peace: The Surprisingly Fun Way to Transform Your Life

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Life engenders life.
Energy creates energy.
It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich.

My Double Life: The Memoirs of Sarah Bernhardt

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments We'd never get anything fixed to suit us if we waited for things to suit us before we started.

Laura Ingalls Wilder, By the Shores of Silver Lake

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments If you're born without wings, do nothing to preclude them from growing.

Coco Chanel, quoted in Sleeping with the Enemy: Coco Chanel, Nazi Agent

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Thought provoking!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments It is not given to man to begin; that privilege is God's alone. But it is given to man to begin again.

--Elie WieselMessengers of God: Biblical Portraits and Legends

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Thank goodness we can!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Anna wrote: "Thank goodness we can!"

Yes! I read somewhere that either Luther or Melanchton said that "we worship the God of the "agains". I don't have a source for it though.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream by night.

--Edgar Allan Poe

message 18: by Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) (last edited Oct 18, 2015 12:39AM) (new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments "Not what we have, but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." -- J. Petit-Senin

And along those lines:
"If we paid ten cents a pound for something, didn't enjoy it and threw some of it out, it was extravagant. If we paid ten dollars for it, ate every crumb and licked the dish--it was a bargain!" Mrs. Rasmussen's book of one-arm cookery,

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) wrote: ""Not what we have, but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." -- J. Petit-Senin"

I know that to be true but I could never have said it so succinctly.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Indeed!
Auntie Mame put it another way: "Life is a banquet, and most damned fools are starving to death."Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade

message 21: by Corinne (new)

Corinne (corinnebooks) “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

message 22: by Corinne (new)

Corinne (corinnebooks) “It is nothing to die. It is frightful not to live.”
― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Les Misérables is surely influential in many ways. Some there to remember, Corinne.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments I will never fear or avoid a possible good rather than a certain evil.--Plato

I'm not sure I understand that completely, or if I would take it to an extreme--but it makes me think. And since I seem to be the only person posting here or reading any of this...well, there it is.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) You're certainly not the only one reading this, Orinoco! And I have just spent a couple of minutes reading and rereading your quotation from Plato.

Thank you.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments A nation is not its lands; a nation is its hands. -- Gurajada Apparao, quoted in The Many Conditions of Love

Which led me to:

"Hands to work, hearts to God." (Shaker Proverb)

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) I din't know we owe that one to the Shakers. Good for them.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments "What should be done, can be done." Derrick Bell in the Foreword to Mississippi Harmony: Memoirs of a Freedom Fighter

"Speak truth to power." Quaker proverb

message 30: by Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) (last edited Apr 19, 2016 07:01AM) (new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments We don't live in the opinions of critics.
Qiu Xiaolong, The Mao Case

message 31: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) wrote: ""Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in yo..."

The same thought appears in the first few pages of
Hide in Time by Anna Faversham

"They say it's not the things you've done that you regret most but the things you haven't done."

How very true - unless, of course, we've done something very wrong!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments I've often read online, that when you're on your deathbed the one thing you will be sure not to say is, "I should have spent more time at the office."

message 33: by Anna (last edited Apr 19, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) Now you've got me laughing - it's so true.

Apparently this group has 107 members. I wonder where they all are?

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Mysteries of life!!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience. Our problem is that people all over the world have obeyed the dictates of leaders...and millions have been killed because of this obedience. Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation, stupidity, war and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obediente while the jails are full of petty thieves...and the grand theives are running the country. That's our problem.

Howard Zinn, The Zinn Reader: Writings on Disobedience and Democracy

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments All wisdom can be stated in two lines: What is done for you--allow it to be done. What you must do for yourself--make sure you do it.

Dorothy Gilman: A Nun in the Closet

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 155 comments Learn to make the best of what you have. If you can't have that, you have this. Learn to love this.

Jean Lucey Pratt, A Notable Woman: The Romantic Journals of Jean Lucey Pratt