The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > 2015 Locus Award Finalists announced

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) Yeah, and I really like the categories, too! More recommendations to read!

message 3: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments I like this list a lot, it really shows how great a year for SF&F 2014 was.

message 4: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah | 74 comments So will there be a group that opposes this list? The morose kittens perhaps?

message 5: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Isaiah wrote: "So will there be a group that opposes this list? The morose kittens perhaps?"

I suppose that would depend on if anyone objects to how they are carrying out their mission.

"The Locus Awards are presented to winners of Locus Magazine's annual readers' poll, which was established in the early '70s specifically to provide recommendations and suggestions to Hugo Awards voters. Over the decades the Locus Awards have often drawn more voters than the Hugos and Nebulas combined. In recent years Locus Awards are presented at an annual banquet, and unlike any other award, explicitly honor publishers of winning works with certificates."
http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/L...

"recommendations and suggestions to Hugo Awards voters"

A bit slate-like then, but open and honest about it, like the Sad Puppies.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I don't think you can compare them now, especially since the Locus awards finalists weren't announced until after the Hugo noms were selected.

I like the Locus style, they had like 30 (a lot, I didn't count them though) books each to choose from in both SF and Fantasy, then you pick your top 5 and the voting is free for anyone who wants to vote.

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 593 comments Thane wrote: "A bit slate-like then, but open and honest about it, like the Sad Puppies. "

The Locus recommended reading list is usually 15-20 books in each of science fiction and fantasy. That many entries does not make a slate, and the finalists (which would reduce the list to something slate-like) are announced after the Hugo nomination process anyway.

Similarly for the other fiction categories.

message 8: by Marcelo (new)

Marcelo (cimmeria) The Morose Kittens. Hah! I loved that. Kudos, Isaiah.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Thane wrote: "Isaiah wrote: "So will there be a group that opposes this list? The morose kittens perhaps?"

I suppose that would depend on if anyone objects to how they are carrying out their mission.

"The Locu..."

And yet the Locus list is exactly one of the "slates" that I've seen Puppies drag up as one of their justifications, despite the obvious differences between the Puppy slate and the Locus list that others have pointed out.

If Thorgerson et al. had drafted a long list like that and offered that up for suggestion to their followers I wouldn't have a had any problems with that. They might have gotten a few of their nominees on the Hugo shortlist, but the spread would have ensured fair competition. It's when you have your army of drones concentrate all votes on 5 nominees forcing everything else off the list that people get cranky.

message 10: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah | 74 comments Marcelo wrote: "The Morose Kittens. Hah! I loved that. Kudos, Isaiah."
Thank you!