Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > YA Paranormal/Romance

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.j. (new)

L.j. Duett (ljduett) | 6 comments I'm in search of a Beta for my first novel. Yes, a newbie. My work is told in first person POV and is a YA Paranormal/Romance clocked at just under 73,000 words. I'm currently doing round one of edits now. Thanks!

message 2: by Lauri (new)

Lauri (LASweeny) | 3 comments I am not an editor, but I would love to read your novel and give my honest opinion and answer questions.

message 3: by L.j. (last edited May 05, 2015 06:20PM) (new)

L.j. Duett (ljduett) | 6 comments Lauri wrote: "I am not an editor, but I would love to read your novel and give my honest opinion and answer questions."

Lauri, you're more than welcome to read it as a critique partner if you'd prefer. Let me know if you're still interested and I'll forward it to you. Just remember, since I'm looking for an editor, the work is rough. Thanks!

message 4: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (drumgenie) | 166 comments Hi Lauri,
I would definitely be interested in talking with you more about your novel. If you are interested, please check out my website. There you can view my testimonials, services, and prices. If interested, please fill out a form submission and we can talk further. Best of luck!
Silvia

http://silviasreading.webs.com/

message 5: by Lauri (new)

Lauri (LASweeny) | 3 comments L.j. Sounds great. My email is lasweeny@msn.com.

message 6: by DodoReading (new)

DodoReading (treasurecovebookreviews) | 1 comments Hi L.J. I would love to help you out with this! My email is treasurecovebookreviews@outlook.com if you would like to talk a bit more / send some details through. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela (a_hoffman79) Do you have a blurb about the book's plot that you could share?

message 8: by L.j. (new)

L.j. Duett (ljduett) | 6 comments Angela wrote: "Do you have a blurb about the book's plot that you could share?"

Angela this is my current blurb. Sorry for the roughness.

I've often considered myself in a consistent rut. I work, I read, I live with my elderly, adoptive parents. There isn't much else I do and I'm okay with that. My life is very vanilla. That is until it takes a decidedly unexpected turn into the paranormal when I meet the strange, Nicholai Vlarinsky, who isn't exactly the stranger I think he is. Add his presence with werewolves and suddenly I'm in for a lot of surprises and questions

Like, Why is he suddenly showing up in my life?

Why does my parents grudgingly accept his presence?

Why is a large majority of the towns people seem to know what's going on?

One thing I know for sure is that Nico seems to think he has some sort of hold over me and his presence hasn't just altered my life completely, it's put me in danger. Sometimes men can be real dogs.

message 9: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Paul (dapaul) I like the end of your blurb.

"Sometimes, men can be real dogs."

BAM! haha

message 10: by L.j. (new)

L.j. Duett (ljduett) | 6 comments D.A.Paul. wrote: "I like the end of your blurb.

"Sometimes, men can be real dogs."

BAM! haha"

Thanks. I know the blurb needs a lot of work but maybe I'll keep that part.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela (a_hoffman79) If you're willing/able to wait until later in May for me to read this and give feedback, I'd be able to help then. I'm finishing up teaching for the year next-next weekend and will have some more free time to read after that.

message 12: by L.j. (new)

L.j. Duett (ljduett) | 6 comments Angela wrote: "If you're willing/able to wait until later in May for me to read this and give feedback, I'd be able to help then. I'm finishing up teaching for the year next-next weekend and will have some more f..."

I have one person critiquing it now and another who is going to Beta. The more eyes the better in my opinion, but i don't want to be considered a Beta hog either. (IS that a thing?LOL) If you are interested in looking my novel over, I'd love to have your input and I don't mind waiting if need be. I def. want my work to be as good as possible. If you'd rather not since I have found some help, then I understand. Thanks!

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (a_hoffman79) I'm a bit confused now, as you mention in the comment above that you have someone doing a critique and someone lined up to beta read. I usually consider those tasks to come at different times in the writing/revising process. If you could tell me more about what stage you're in right now, that would help me decide if it would be a good fit. Thanks!

message 14: by L.j. (last edited May 14, 2015 05:37AM) (new)

L.j. Duett (ljduett) | 6 comments Angela wrote: "I'm a bit confused now, as you mention in the comment above that you have someone doing a critique and someone lined up to beta read. I usually consider those tasks to come at different times in th..."

I'm on my edit phase, I've have several people critique already. The reason, I said critique earlier is because the first person working on edits, isn't exactly a BETA. Just someone reading over to catch obvious issues. Basically, an extra set of eyes.