Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

General Discussions > Variety of Crime

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Other than the 'fantasy' part, they work for me.

message 2: by Maina (new)

Maina (MainaNdugo) | 5 comments I can't imagine any possible fantasy twist to a crime novel. Like how can you imagine a drug dealer able to flee with a submarine full of cocaine because he has a well armed army of mermaids inside the ocean?

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Yes, I agree!

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Maina wrote: "I can't imagine any possible fantasy twist to a crime novel. Like how can you imagine a drug dealer able to flee with a submarine full of cocaine because he has a well armed army of mermaids inside..."

Now that would definitely be an interesting story. Put me down for that

message 5: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments I have read Gail's BETWEEN THE TREES and it has fantastic fanstay twist. I like it so well I want to know how the trees are doing in another book. Review is on Goodreads, WordPress and Amazon

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments I guess I am confused by 'the fantasy aspect'; although, in my real life, I have had some truly bizarre experiences that are inexplicable.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Why not?

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments :)
sounds good, fortunately or unfortunately, 'art can resemble life.'

message 9: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments I can't wait to read it.

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Gail wrote: "Skye wrote: ":)
sounds good, fortunately or unfortunately, 'art can resemble life.'"

And when we write a good storyline for a book, we are transforming life into art!"

And that is exactly what holds me back, Gail.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments ok

message 12: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 88 comments Aha... in that case I'm glad we've added a metaphysical aspect in our next in series - Broken Dove, to be published, hopefully, in around 4 - 5 weeks.

I also enjoy books with this as an aspect, especially if it's up to the reader to make his / her own mind up whether or not the metaphysical aspect is real, a figment of a characters imagination, a hallucination, a conscience, a ghost or whatever else might be possible.

message 13: by Reacherfan (new)

Reacherfan | 17 comments Many of the UF authors have things like vampire PI's (Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt series) and Lisa Shearin has a whole agency series called SPI based on blending police and paranormal. You'll often find these books listed as both paranormal/urban fantasy and mystery. While you might dismiss many of these as trashy si-fi/fantasy, it's hard to dismiss Charlie Huston given his stature as a crime novelist.

message 14: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 88 comments Gail wrote: "L.A. wrote: "Aha... in that case I'm glad we've added a metaphysical aspect in our next in series - Broken Dove, to be published, hopefully, in around 4 - 5 weeks.

I also enjoy books with this as..."
It's be interesting to know what you think, Broken Dove is now available as ebook. Unfortunately metaphysical aspects don't crop up until a little way into the book, past the sample sections you can see on line! If you're in the US I can't gift you an Amazon Voucher I'm afraid.