Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Contemporary Reads > New Adult

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1886 comments Mod
Okay, so I thought I'd start off with my own personal likes from my foray into NA. (I'm a bad poet and I know it, as John Logan would say...)

I'm a huge Christina Lauren fan, so there's that.

But so far I'd stayed away from college set NA because I work in a college and I thought that would kind of squick me out. (Except for a while ago when I read and loved Easy by Tammara Webber.

But lately I've been feeling restless and wanted to try something new so I picked up Alex by Sawyer Bennett and found myself loving her hockey players and younger characters. So I read the next one, Garrett and I was hooked.

Then a week ago I was feeling guilty about all the unread books on my kindle, so I decided to read The Year We Fell Down by Sarina Bowen, which I'd picked up when it was one sale. FOUR BOOKS LATER, I was hooked.

So this past weekend I breezed through The Deal and The Mistake by Elle Kennedy.

And in between I've tried some others that didn't do it for me. Some by authors whose other work I enjoyed.

So, who are your favorites?

message 2: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I have to admit being a little judgmental before I started reading NA. I finally read a book recommended by one of my friend's daughter and fell in love with Jennifer Armentrout/J. Lynn and Jamie McGuire a couple of years ago. Sophie Jordan and Beverley Kendall are a couple of my favorite historical authors so I wanted to see if I would like the NA genre. I really shouldn't be surprised that they did a wonderful job. Recently I read ConfessColleen Hoover and found a new author that I will be reading more of.
Love the John Logan reference. I just finished The Mistake yesterday.

message 3: by Manda (new)

I'd forgotten that J. Lynn was actually Jennifer Armentrout. I'll have to try her. And Sophie Jordan. I hadn't tried Jamie McGuire mostly because boxing doesn't do it for me at all.

I'd also forgotten that Beverley Kendall had written some NA too.

Seems like everybody is reading The Mistake this week! Great minds!

message 4: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2052 comments Mod
I started my NA journey reading J. Lynn. Everybody was raving about her Wait for You series. Read 'em, loved 'em, and I haven't stopped since.

Some of my fave NA authors- J. Lynn, Penelope Douglas (although her Fall Away series is more high school with mature subject matter), Tess Oliver, Sawyer Bennett, Sabrina Paige, J.S Cooper..and I can go on and on. Ann Aguirre's 2B trilogy was pretty good.

I can talk NA all day. I'm thrilled to know there are other EJ &JQ NA readers.

I'm a bit tired of the college setting, but I've been reading some NA sports genre- baseball at the moment. I loved a few musician/rock and roll heroes- Stage Dive series by Kylie Scott was a fave of mine.

message 5: by Okie (new)

Manda, I read Sarina Bowen's The Year We Fell Down a month or two ago- it was such a good read. I need to catch up on the other books in The Ivy Years series.

message 6: by Manda (new)

LOVE the Stage Dive series, Okie! I read those last fall and was desolate when I ran out. Oddly, I found Christina Lauren's Beautiful series and the Wild Seasons series both filled some of that gap, though Lauren's heroes are definitely not rock stars.

What bridged me from Sawyer Bennett to Sarina Bowen was hockey. And then when I ran out of Sarina Bowen hockey books I picked up Elle Kennedy.

It's fun for me to see what leads a reader from one author to the next. I'll check out some of your suggestions.

message 7: by Manda (new)

Okie wrote: "Manda, I read Sarina Bowen's The Year We Fell Down a month or two ago- it was such a good read. I need to catch up on the other books in The Ivy Years series."

Ooh! Yes, you need to read the rest of that series! It's so good. I really like her writing style too. It's very smooth and she mixes light and dark really well. I'm dying for the next one. Of course it's probably going to be ages before it comes out. *pouts*

message 8: by Okie (last edited May 04, 2015 01:18PM) (new)

Manda wrote: "LOVE the Stage Dive series, Okie! I read those last fall and was desolate when I ran out. Oddly, I found Christina Lauren's Beautiful series and the Wild Seasons series both filled some of that gap..."

I looved Stage Dive, too! I haven't found anything that comes close to that series :(

I'm gonna look into these other two authors. I'm always on the look out for new NA authors.

Also, I desperately want to know if more is mentioned about Corey's father, The Year We Fell Down, in any of the other books. I felt like it ended abruptly. There was so much talk about Corey's dad and then they meet and that's pretty much the end. I want more! LOL!! Going to go and download the second and third book now.

message 9: by Manda (last edited May 04, 2015 01:17PM) (new)

I know what you mean about Stage Dive. Sigh. So good.

I think Sweet Filthy Boy and Dirty Rowdy Thing were just on sale, so there's that!

The Beautiful series is a little bit, ehem, raunchier, but they're good too. Really well written.

message 10: by Okie (new)

Hilarious, Manda! Well, there's nothing wrong with raunchy..so long as it's well written ;)

message 11: by Okie (new)

Y'all know how I said I could go on and on about all things NA?

If you're wanting to read boxing, MMA/marital arts- read the Real series by Katy Evans. Its dark but a great read.

Carter Reed by Tijan is pretty good, as well as her BS series.

message 12: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1229 comments Okie, I only read the first Real because the other ones didn't rate as well from what friends have said. Did you read The Hurricane

message 13: by Okie (new)

I did read The Hurricane, Stacey. I give it an- Alright.

I read Mine #2 and Rouge #4 from the Real series. Only because I wanted to know how that story ended.

message 14: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1229 comments Okie wrote: "I did read The Hurricane, Stacey. I give it an- Alright.

I read Mine #2 and Rouge #4 from the Real series. Only because I wanted to know how that story ended."

I think I liked The Hurricane because it was different than what I normally read. I haven't read many books set in England, so I enjoyed that part of it.

With Real, I just felt like I was able to leave it where it was and not need to hear from his POV.

message 15: by Manda (last edited May 04, 2015 04:46PM) (new)

Oh, Okie, I missed your question earlier about Corey's dad. Sadly, no, there's no more mention after TYWHA. Really there's only one more mention of Bridger that I remember. Which is a bummer since I liked him.

Oh, nevermind. I was getting Corey mixed up with Scarlett. Though the answer is the same. No mention in later books. (That's what I get for skimming!)

message 16: by Okie (new)

Yea, I totally feel you, Stacey. Is it terrible that I was only interested in Remy and Brooke? LOL! I didn't care to read her best friends story.

message 17: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1229 comments Okie wrote: "Yea, I totally feel you, Stacey. Is it terrible that I was only interested in Remy and Brooke? LOL! I didn't care to read her best friends story."

Funny :-)

message 18: by Okie (last edited May 04, 2015 05:35PM) (new)

Manda, part of the whole struggle for Corey was his absentee dad. I was so bummed when the reunion was a page long. I sorta got over it and now I'm back to being bummed. Boo! lol! I still wanna catch up with all the others. I read snippets of the other 2 books. They look to be good reads :)

message 19: by Okie (new)

Well, I finished up The Mistake and it was alright. I've moved on to book 3 While It Lasts and book 4 Just for Now in Abbi Glines NA Sea Breeze series.

message 20: by Marita (new)

Marita (bluestockingandproud) | 43 comments Okie, do you mean Adam's dad? Corey was the heroine, IIRC, and Adam was the one with the absentee father. Yeah, I really wanted to catch up with what happened there too, but, I think since Adam hadn't really told anyone apart from Corey the truth, it was difficult to put in an update in the subsequent books.

Also, definitely read books 2-4, they are excellent! Bridger broke my heart, Rikker and Graham built it back up and then Bella broke it all over again. Also, book 4 is more than heartbreaking; it's extremely socially relevant too.

message 21: by Chocolatesoup (new)

Chocolatesoup | 358 comments I enjoyed Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and The Hook Up by Kristen Callihan, looking forward to the next book in this series. Also, Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park was a good read, a bit predictable, but I liked it all the same. Oh and I'm a big fan of author Penny Reid, she has a NA serial with 2 parts out and the 3rd expected in a week or so Heat.

message 22: by Manda (new)

Thanks for clearing that up, Marita. I was confused too. And I read the books so fast that I couldn't remember what the issue was with his dad. Also, I agree about Bella's book. It was pretty traumatic, but hilarious and satisfying too. I cried the most in Bridger and Scarlett's book though.

Thanks for the recs, Chocolatesoup! I've been meaning to try Rainbow Rowell but haven't yet. Need to add her to the TBR. And Penny Reid too--she's been on my radar for a while but I haven't tried her.

message 23: by Okie (new)

oops! Yea, Marita, I meant Adam. Thanks!

message 24: by Okie (new)

Hi, Chocolatesoup. I enjoyed Fangirl and The Hook Up. I'm looking forward to reading The Friend Zone. I've read a few of Penny Reid's books and liked them. I need to look into her other ones.

message 25: by Marita (last edited May 08, 2015 01:43PM) (new)

Marita (bluestockingandproud) | 43 comments Manda, I have to agree with you. The last 20% of Bridger's book had me gasping and sobbing and pretty much yelling "HOLY SHIT BRIDGER WHY DOES LOVING YOU HURT SO GOOOOOD?!" at my Kindle. Bella's story was so heartbreaking, but Bridger. Goddamnit Bridger.

Also, I'm not new to the NA genre but I AM new to the college/sports-based NAs and I have to say, that as of now, those are the only types of NA I like. So far, I've read and loved Kristen Callihan (The Hook-Up was where it all began), Elle Kennedy (introduced me not only to excellent characters and stories but also to The Locker Room FB Group that cemented my love for NA sports romances), Sarina Bowen, Cora Carmack, Megan Erickson, Lex Martin, Tessa Bailey and Sophie Jordan.

message 26: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) There's Elyssa Patrick and Courtney Cole. I love Courtney Cole's latest series Nocte trilogy. It's a Gothic romance and has cliffhangers at the end of the first two books.

message 27: by Okie (new)

I just finished reading Scoring Wilder by R.S. Grey. Gosh, I really liked it! I'm off to see what else R.S Grey has out.