Support for Indie Authors discussion

Jala and the Wolves
This topic is about Jala and the Wolves
Archived Workshop No New Posts > Feedback on Children's Chapter Book Trailer

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments Hi! I have my very first author signing as a part of a children's book week event this Saturday. I want to show my book trailer on my kindle at the table, but since the two other authors who will be at the event are much more established than I am, I would really appreciate your feedback about whether or not this trailer looks professional. I really, really don't want to embarrass myself the first time out by presenting something that looks kind of homemade, but not in a good way.

https://www.goodreads.com/videos/8339...

All feedback is appreciated.

-Marti

message 2: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments I like it and it appears to be of the same quality as the childrens trailors for the tv shows my kids watch. I dont think you have anything to worry about.
I do wish it was a little longer and provided more info about the story but it is good as is.

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments Thanks!

I considered putting more story blurbs in it. Maybe I should reconsider.

message 4: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments Depending on how long it would take you to do that, I would say 'yes.' Perfect world would be stretching it one minute, I think. Right now it's what, 30 seconds?

message 5: by Cat (new)

Cat Blount | 11 comments Marti wrote: "Hi! I have my very first author signing as a part of a children's book week event this Saturday. I want to show my book trailer on my kindle at the table, but since the two other authors who will..."

No, I like it. When you said homemade, I thought I was going to see something like what I try to do, LOL. It's really nice. I like it!

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments @Hayden, do you think blurbs would work to lengthen it, or would you want to see more of the story animated?

@Cat, thank you!

message 7: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments I hate saying this, but it depends. The whole point of the thing IS to see the animation but if you lengthen it you should be able to do that before and after the blurb.

Or maybe a few lines of the blurb at a time so you can see the animation around it when it pops up.

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments Thanks, Hayden. Maybe I could get the animator to do the wolf walking over to look at some snippets from reader reviews. Or maybe have some words appear in the mirror.

Cat, I found a cool guy on fiverr who did the animation (not for $5). I could never do that! And I was feeling pretty good about it until I started comparing it to some of the trailers from the big companies. Now I'm more nervous about it, but your and Hayden's reassurance helps. Thanks!

message 9: by A.E. (new) - added it

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Hi Marti,

I'd say that it depends on who you want to market yourself to: the girls or their parents. I will show this for my own daughter who is six years old when she comes home from school today, and see if she would like to read the book.

From my own point of view I like it. The music is really good, but in my perspective, it lacks a little bit more information, like what kind of book it is. Is it a sad story in the end (i.e. will my daughter get upset when she reads it), or is it an adventure, and what kind of heroine is the girl, Jala? Is she a curious one, a brave one, a cowardly one, a mean one, a kind one? Yeah, sorry, got a bit carried away there, it seems... :-)

Anyway, I'll get back to you within a couple of hours.

Cheers!

message 10: by A.E. (new) - added it

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Alright, I showed it for my daughter, and she was very fascinated with the fact that the girl goes into the mirror, and she asked: "Where's the rest of the story?". Sooo, I think you nailed it... :-)

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments Hooray! Thanks, A.E.!

message 12: by A.E. (new) - added it

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Marti wrote: "Hooray! Thanks, A.E.!"

You're very welcome. Good luck with everything, and I'm going to check this book of yours out.

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments It's tomorrow! This event is such a small thing, and yet I'm a nervous wreck. Thank y'all so much for helping me out. I really, really, appreciate it.

message 14: by C.B. (new)

C.B. Matson | 143 comments Marti, I'm not usually a very supportive individual (Author Blurb: In his spare time, C.B. Matson likes to kick puppies and frighten small children...), but I watched your video and it's just right. Short, intriguing, it doesn't try to tell the whole story.

Yer gonna do just fine. In fact, my granddaughter (7 going on 24) may get a copy of Jala and the Wolves for her next b-day.

Oh, and please let us know how it goes tomorrow...

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments C.B. Matson, you just made me snort my coffee. lol

Thanks and will do!

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Culpepper | 23 comments I was impressed and can see how kids will be drawn to the video. It's short and sweet, building anticipation! Wish you the best!

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments I'm reporting back as promised. :)

It was great! I think I may have even picked up a reader or two. Thanks for your help. :D

message 18: by A.E. (new) - added it

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 196 comments Marti wrote: "I'm reporting back as promised. :)

It was great! I think I may have even picked up a reader or two. Thanks for your help. :D"

Awesome, Marti! That's great news. :-)

message 19: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments FAN-TASTIC!

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments :-)

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam Friedman (sam_ramirez) | 83 comments A high-quality book trailer which could be used as an ad.
Consider using that video as a YouTube ad. Target parents with children 6-10 (or elementary school) and funnel them to wherever you are selling your book. You may actually be able to generate interest from the kinds of people who might actually buy your book.

Marti Dumas (martidumas) | 28 comments Wow, Sam. That's great advice. Thanks!