Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Christina's April Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2015 07:48AM) (new)

Not a bad April.

The Breakup Doctor - Part of the Henery Press chic-lit line. Not bad but a little painful to read as the main character engaged in more embarrassing than funny breakup behavior.

Born of Night- purely junk food romantic sci-fi.

Outlander- Hated this overly violent disturbing bit of historical fiction.

Low Pressure - Romantic mystery. Held my interest but not rushing out to read another one of her novels.

The Rosie Project- Want to know what would happen is Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory fell in love? Read this book. Great read.

On Borrowed Time - Oh Jen Mckinlay, please do better next time. The ending was ludicrous, she took a physics book and basically punted it.

Affairs of Steak - Solid cozy mystery. Recommend.

The Good House - The narration was sooo good. The story was OK.

Leave the Grave Green - This English mystery series is so good. If you haven’t checked it out - please do.

French Pressed - Did not like this addition to the Coffeehouse Mystery series. Hopefully next one will be better.

The Red Queen's Run- Henery Press Mystery about a university principal who works with a bunch of psychos. Here’s hoping she quits.

An Irish Country Village - Love this series about a cranky doctor and his assistant who treat patients in an Irish village. Highly recommend.

The Midwife of Venice- Good, solid historical fiction with surprisingly solid love story. Recommend. Will be reading the sequel.

The Little Paris Bookshop- A Netgalley review. Free book, honest review. This book is going to be wildly popular. Beautiful writing, heartbreaking love story. A ode to book lovers. Recommend.

Into the Storm - Another Netgalley review. Free book, honest review. While it uses some soap opera worthy twists and turns, the historical fiction aspect of the book was solid. Set during London, WWII.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Christina.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3597 comments You're a better woman than me for making it all the way through OUTLANDER! Tried 3 times and never got farther than about 150 pages. I have part one of the first season of the TV show on DVD. It was a birthday gift. Was thinking I'll give them a watch after my TV shows all have their season finales.

I SOOOO agree about ON BORROWED TIME! The new Cupcake Bakery book was just so-so, she's gotten into a bad rut!

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Christina, love your very honest reviews! First person I know who truly disliked Outlander. One of my favs. The Good House is on my list.

message 5: by Shomeret (last edited May 04, 2015 06:17PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1366 comments Liz, you weren't around when I posted my dis-satisfaction with Outlander and with that entire series though actually I haven't continued to read them.

My main problem is that I think they haven't got enough story to justify their length. I'm sure the TV series is much better. Instead of those long descriptive passages,you get to see what's being described. I always look forward to the movie or the TV series if I thought the book was way too long.

message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Shom, sorry I missed your dislike. I always find it interesting when someone has a totally different opinion than me. The first 3 books I loved, then the next 4 were just so-so and really rather long. But I still count the first 3 as among my all time favorites.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments That is a nice variety, Christina!
Thanks for recommending The Good House, I enjoyed it too. I will keep an eye out for The Little Paris Bookshop!

message 8: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments Very good month, Christina.

message 9: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments Good month