What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Novel - daughter's parents poison the whole family to death except her [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited May 08, 2015 09:09AM) (new)

Michael James | 8 comments I'm looking for a novel which is about a woman who reflects on her destructive childhood. It's kind of a parallel story consisting of chapters with the woman as a child and the woman in the present.

The mother gets pregnant with the fourth child and the girl doesn't like it. Her little brother is eager to hear the news but accidentally falls toward the stove and gets a boiling pot over him so he gets scalded by the water and lose some skin on his arm.

The girl blames this accident and any other future accidents on the child who isn't born yet. The child got a name that rhymed with something insignificant so the child would easily be bullied.

After the child is born the mother gets weird and paranoid. The father loses his grip and makes every effort to appease the mother. In one part of the book there's a description of how sexually frustrated the father is - his scrotum feels heavy and all he wants is that the mother will be normal again.

At the end of the book the parents have poisoned themselves and the children except the girl who wasn't there during the occasion. She finds her dying mother caressing the dead father in her lap before the mother dies too.

I think the book could be written between 1980-2005, it's at least 10-12 years since I read it. It is reminiscent of Kathryn Harrison's The Kiss but it's not that one. But I do think it was a female author who wrote it.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
So it sounds like it's more literary fiction than mass market?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael James | 8 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "So it sounds like it's more literary fiction than mass market?"

Yeah, but it's an international novel since I read it here in Sweden. And the author wasn't Swedish.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
Bastard Out of Carolina? That's just a stab, I haven't read it. But it's fiction that comes up as similar to "The Kiss."

message 5: by Michael (last edited May 06, 2015 08:21AM) (new)

Michael James | 8 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Bastard Out of Carolina? That's just a stab, I haven't read it. But it's fiction that comes up as similar to "The Kiss.""

Unfortunately no :(
Something says that it could be a Dutch author but I can be wrong. All above is the only I remember.

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4272 comments A Heart of Stone? I haven't read it but glanced at the reviews and it looks like a match.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael James | 8 comments Ayshe wrote: "A Heart of Stone? I haven't read it but glanced at the reviews and it looks like a match."

Oh my god, that's the one! Thank you so much Ayshe :´D

message 8: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4272 comments :) You're welcome, it seems this is the second time someone searched for it in this group.