UAE Good Readers discussion

Recommendations for the book fair

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abdullah (new)

Abdullah Malaka | 6 comments Hi,
As you all know the book fair starts soon.
I would appreciate if you have any recommendations for books I shall buy, different genres, Arabic or English is also ok.
So basically, what are you guys planning to buy? :)

message 2: by Alya Al M (new)

Alya Al M | 7 comments What book fair?

message 3: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 41 comments Abu Dhabi Book Fair

message 4: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 41 comments My advice is don't buy English books from the book fair, the best and new books are available in local bookstores. Save your time for Arabic books

As for the other books, BROWSE, it's the best way to go, you'll find books you didn't even now were available, and people usually have different tastes.

Having said that, i hope others recommend some good titles for you, and if you could be more specific with what you like it will make it easier.

message 5: by Adeeb (new)

Adeeb (adeebn) | 8 comments I recently loved the following:

1-Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey.
2-The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

message 6: by Abdullah (new)

Abdullah Malaka | 6 comments Jewel wrote: "My advice is don't buy English books from the book fair, the best and new books are available in local bookstores. Save your time for Arabic books

As for the other books, BROWSE, it's the best wa..."

Thank you Jewel, do you have any recommendations for Arabic books??
The thing is that we are a group of people so our interests are different, lets say what's your favorite-books list.

message 7: by Abdullah (new)

Abdullah Malaka | 6 comments Adeeb wrote: "I recently loved the following:

1-Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey.
2-The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins."

Thank you :)

message 8: by Nouf (new)

Nouf Al Shamsi (lostinglitter) | 1 comments Some of my favorite books are:
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 9: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 41 comments سلطنة هرمز by ريم الكمالي

الشرق الموحش by عبدالله جليعب السعيدي

قراءة ممتعه

message 10: by jade (new)

jade (hisui) | 9 comments Jewel wrote: "My advice is don't buy English books from the book fair, the best and new books are available in local bookstores. Save your time for Arabic books"

Does this mean there's no point going to the book fair for non-Arabic readers like me?
It will be my first time to go if I ever push through with it, so I have no idea what to expect. Thanks!

message 11: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 41 comments For Arabic readers its really good because there is a huge selection of Arabic books that we don't normally have a chance to find in local bookstores, there are also new book launches and author appearances.

I always find the English (fiction) selection lacking and limited, although if you're looking for academic there is a good collection.

But maybe it's different this year.

message 12: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 41 comments اذا كان في حد منكم يحب الخيال العلمي

أجوان by Noura Noman

ماندان by Noura Noman

message 13: by jade (new)

jade (hisui) | 9 comments No point going then. Thanks for the heads up, Jewel! :)

message 14: by Abdullah (new)

Abdullah Malaka | 6 comments Thank you all :)
Jade, I suggest you go to the book fair, you never know as Jewel said this year it could be different

message 15: by Samama (new)

Samama Reza (samamareza) | 3 comments I love R.L Stine books! You should totally buy and read the Fear Street series. Or you can buy some books of Janet Evonavich, she's a funny writer. Or you can buy the book named as the fault in our stars which is very nice. You can buy the book Girl Online as well. There are so many books you can read if you love reading! Hope I helped. :-)

message 16: by Samama (new)

Samama Reza (samamareza) | 3 comments By the way, when and where is the book fair being held?

message 17: by jade (new)

jade (hisui) | 9 comments I might go later, just to satisfy my curiosity as I've been wanting to go for the past couple of years.

As for book recommendations, it'll be easier to suggest books if you at least tell us what kind of genre you prefer. But, considering you're a guy, you might enjoy Michael Grant's Gone Series or Neal Shusterman's Unwind Dystology. They're both Young Adult Dystopian.

Samama, the book fair opens today until May 13.

message 18: by Abdullah (new)

Abdullah Malaka | 6 comments Samama wrote: "By the way, when and where is the book fair being held?"

Samama:
Dates: 7 – 13 May 2015
Venue: Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, UAE
Opening Hours: All days except Friday:9am – 10pm and Friday: 4pm – 10pm
http://www.adbookfair.com/en/general-...

message 19: by Abdullah (new)

Abdullah Malaka | 6 comments jade wrote: "I might go later, just to satisfy my curiosity as I've been wanting to go for the past couple of years.

As for book recommendations, it'll be easier to suggest books if you at least tell us what k..."

Thank you Jade :)