The Well in the Garden Poetry Group discussion

1 view
May 2015 Challenge > Clarissa Simmens - May 2015 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Simmens | 64 comments (not an upbeat May poem, but I will never forget May 4, 1970 when we were young and innocent)

Yin and Yang of May
Maypole dancing then mourning
Long ago Kent State
Seems like only yesterday
Shocked by innocents’ murders

May flowers will grow
We will laugh and sing again
But what comes this month?
This month of beauty and love
No holiday for violence…

© 2015 Clarissa Simmens

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy You're right Clarissa. The horror of that day was captured in the iconic photo of the woman and the student on the ground.

message 3: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Simmens | 64 comments Nancy wrote: "You're right Clarissa. The horror of that day was captured in the iconic photo of the woman and the student on the ground."

Yes, very haunting...

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Crean | 246 comments Mod
A very poignant poem Clarissa - although I may be showing my complete ignorance or my age - could you please tell me what historic tragedy this represents?

message 5: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Simmens | 64 comments It is the Kent State Massacre that occurred in 1970. I believe you are from the UK, Laura? I think we hippies were so naive back then, never expecting that our government would shoot 4 innocent students who just stopped to watch the peaceful protest against the war in Vietnam. I still get teary when I see the photos. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Sta... I just want to say that many of us had family and friends fighting in Vietnam and we never spit on soldiers or did anything but peacefully assemble in protest. The media always seemed to incite both sides at the time.

message 6: by Laura (new)

OMG That's awful! I don't know - Man's folly never ceases to amaze!

message 7: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Simmens | 64 comments I can't believe that I once believed the world would embrace love and peace (sorry, I'm old and cynical now :-) )

message 8: by Laura (new)

:(