SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

All Book Discussions > MishMash 2015: Questions and Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited May 15, 2015 11:29AM) (new)

Lauren Smith If you have any questions or suggestions for the 2015 MishMash challenge, post them here.

Tasks
1. Read a book written by an SA author(s).
2. Read a book that's title has 5 or more words.
3. Read a book that has fewer than 1000 ratings at the time you started it
4. Read a book with some kind of food, sweet or drink on the cover.
5. Read a book by an author you've never read before
6. Read a book where the main character is female
7. Read a book that had been on your To Read list for more than a year.
8. Read a book which features some form of fighting as an important element of the story.
9. Read a book with a 1 word title.
10. Read a book that's title is also a song title (the exact title). Link to the song on YouTube when completed.
11. Read a book written under a pseudonym.
12. Read a book between 150 and 200 pages long.
13. Read a book with a word in the title that appears in another book's title that you used in this challenge ("The" and "a" and other common joining words are excluded).
14. Read a book published in the month that you were born in
15. Read a book with a person or place name in the title
16. Read a book set in an actual country (not fictional) which you have never read as a setting before
17. Read a book by an author whose surname starts with the same letter as yours.
18. Read a book that features a domesticated animal on the cover.
19. Read a book with the name of a mythological creature in the title.
20. Pick a book that you rated 5 stars in the last three years. Read another novel by the same author. If the book is a short story anthology featuring multiple authors, read another by the same editor.
21. Read a book whose title starts with a vowel (A, An etc. count).
22. Read book with a two-word title, where both words start with the same letter.
23. Read a book set in a hospital or a mental institution.
24. Read a book whose star rating is higher than 4 on goodreads.
25. Read a book with an insect or arachnid on the cover or in the title.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith 16. Read a book set in an actual country (not fictional) which you have never read as a setting before.

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to search the settings of the books you've read or scroll through them? I just read a book set in Thailand, but I can't remember if I've read one set there before. I'm not going to spend two hours scrolling through all the books I've read (and I have forgotten some of them anyway).

Also, Carolien this is your task and I just wanted to know from you: does the setting have to be completely new to you? If, for example, you once read a book where the characters spend one or two chapters in Italy, does that mean you cannot use a book set in Italy?

message 3: by Carolien (last edited Jun 06, 2015 09:05AM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2040 comments Mod
That's fine, Lauren. I thought about adding something to the original task like "or that you cannot remember having read before", but then it became complicated.

Basically something that is a new setting to you or at least new enough that you can't actually remember having done it before. So this sounds perfect for the task.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Cool, thanks Carolien!